Getzlaf or Perry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

CrossCheck said:
Who do you consider as having the best overall potential of these 2 oustanding young player?

I watched them play yesterday (as they are probably up for good now) and I have a tough time deciding who I would pick if I were a DG starting from scratch...

I've always liked Getzlaf more, he is huge, his skating is improving he can pass the puck and can fire the puck. I think he will be a good all around player, maxing at maybe around ppg with physical play, and decent defense. Perry's a wizard with the puck, everytime I watch him I am amazed by his reach and creativity. I think his offensive potential is higher than Getzlaf but Ryan will be the better all around guy.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Imo , Perry have more offensive potential.

However , Getzlaf seem to have a better all around game and that's why i would choose him over CP.

But that's just me :sarcasm:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Getzlaf for me I like his complete game he can do it all. Perry is good and has more offensive potential but if I was to start a team and I had a choice between these two players I would go with Getzlaf.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Getzlaf was one of the best players for the stacked Canadian team at the 2005 WJC. He was such a strong all-round force. He has better all-round potential than Perry. Perry has more offensive upside, but outside of that extra gear, there really isn't anything that Getzlaf is lacking.

JohnnyW10

Jan 10, 2006
Vancouver
Personally I like Getzlaf, seems like has a more dyamic all round polished game, whereas Perry's game lacks some of that. Getzlaf played really well at the wj, and I loved watching him play, his skating and hitting was strong and seemd like he was a force out there. IMO it seems like if he was a player that didnt play in that top 6 role, which I believe in the future he would be, he would still be somewhat succesful, whereas if Perry didnt play in the top 6 role he would be far less effective, my 2 cents thanks:D

Phanuthier*

Getzlaf, by far. A big man with soft hands is almost impossible to find.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Getzlaf...for reasons already stated, complete all-around skills, Perry if he develops could become a magnificient offensive player but Getzlaf if he develops would grade out well at just about every facet of the game except speed.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

JohnnyW10 said:
Personally I like Getzlaf, seems like has a more dyamic all round polished game, whereas Perry's game lacks some of that.

This is it exactly I think. Getzlaf's game has matured more quickly than Perry's. Or maybe it was more mature all along, I don't know. Never watched them play in juniors. But Perry seems a lot more reluctant to let go of his junior moves than Getzlaf. You can tell they both have the touch, but Getzlaf's making it happen already while Perry seems to be a step behind.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I was able to watch both during their AHL stay with Portland and right now, I'd go with Perry.

He's a natural goal scorer (which are always hard to find) and is a very solid passer as well. His downside appears to be his overall skating and perhaps spending too much time on the outskirts.

Getzlaf may turn out to be the superior player, however, long term. He isnt immune to high traffic areas and has exceptional vision. Like many playmakers, though, he does tend to think pass too often, rather than taking advantage of his own scoring chances.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'll go with the consensus pick in Getzlaf, but it's really close. Fortunately, the Ducks are lucky enough to not have to make a decision on the matter(unless they're going to trade one of them, which I don't see happening).

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Perry - because he has improved so much over the last two years and his offensive awareness and vision are very rare indeed. I also think he'll put on a few more pounds and work on his skating to really put him at that next level.

That, and I love the knights.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
thomasincanada said:
Perry - because he has improved so much over the last two years and his offensive awareness and vision are very rare indeed. I also think he'll put on a few more pounds and work on his skating to really put him at that next level.

That, and I love the knights.

Touche . . . ;)

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
As a Ducks fan, I'm leaning more towards Getzlaf because he can do all of the little things right like taking faceoffs, passing the puck and shooting it, grinding, playing defense, you name it he's got it all. Perry, on the other hand, plays with more of an offensive flair. The down side is that sometimes, he gets too fancy and looses the opportunity to put the puck in behind the net with his spinoramas and toe drags. He needs to work on not getting too fancy or else he'll be another Chistov(also got too fancy and that's why he's playing in Russia rather than Anaheim).

Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
Fortunately, the Ducks are lucky enough to not have to make a decision on the matter(unless they're going to trade one of them, which I don't see happening).
A little bit of FYI for ya, BRG. Back in the 03 Draft, the Ducks picked Getzlaf higher in 19th overall while they traded Dallas 2 2nd round picks to get Perry in 28th overall.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
S.S. Giggy said:
A little bit of FYI for ya, BRG. Back in the 03 Draft, the Ducks picked Getzlaf higher in 19th overall while they traded Dallas 2 2nd round picks to get Perry in 28th overall.

No, really? :sarcasm:

Obviously, as any Duck fan would, I knew that(I actually prayed Getzlaf would fall to them, and celebrated when Washington took Eric Fehr, didn't know much about Perry, though), and my point was that at the moment, they don't have to make a choice between the two like some fantasy GMs would have to, they already have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->