Speculation: Getting Auston Matthews the Brian Burke way!

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
First, I have to preface by saying that this is definitely not going to happen. It's just 2:00 AM, and I have a stabbing stomach ache. So, it's kind of ridiculous idea time.

So, here it goes:

Edmonton wins the first pick in the lottery. Winnipeg decides that they really want Travis Hamonic, but they don't want to give up a roster player, so they instead give up their 1st round pick (already makes no sense). Winnipeg did not win the lottery at all, and they're picking 6th, and we trade Hamonic for that pick.

Edmonton, under any other circumstances would pick Matthews, but they consider their depth at Center and their dearth on defense. So, they are willing to trade the pick for either a defenseman, or a realistic chance to pick a stud defenseman in this draft. So we trade the 6th pick and Josh Bailey (reuniting him with Taylor Hall), Edmonton is grinning ear to ear with such joy because they won't get flack for picking first again.

We pick Auston Watson. Yea!

OK, back to reality. I really don't think Travis Hamonic is going to be traded all too soon. We need him more than he needs to be traded. And I venture to guess that whatever the emergency was or is, wasn't or isn't all too pressing.

As for Auston Watson, the sentimental part of me wants Phoenix to win the lottery. The humorous side of me wants Edmonton to win. The cynical side of me says that we might miss the playoffs and have that 1% shot! Oh boy! That's ugly!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
First, I have to preface by saying that this is definitely not going to happen. It's just 2:00 AM, and I have a stabbing stomach ache. So, it's kind of ridiculous idea time.

So, here it goes:

Edmonton wins the first pick in the lottery. Winnipeg decides that they really want Travis Hamonic, but they don't want to give up a roster player, so they instead give up their 1st round pick (already makes no sense). Winnipeg did not win the lottery at all, and they're picking 6th, and we trade Hamonic for that pick.

Edmonton, under any other circumstances would pick Matthews, but they consider their depth at Center and their dearth on defense. So, they are willing to trade the pick for either a defenseman, or a realistic chance to pick a stud defenseman in this draft. So we trade the 6th pick and Josh Bailey (reuniting him with Taylor Hall), Edmonton is grinning ear to ear with such joy because they won't get flack for picking first again.

OK, back to reality. I really don't think Travis Hamonic is going to be traded all too soon. We need him more than he needs to be traded. And I venture to guess that whatever the emergency was or is, wasn't or isn't all too pressing.

As for Auston Watson, the sentimental part of me wants Phoenix to win the lottery. The humorous side of me wants Edmonton to win. The cynical side of me says that we might miss the playoffs and have that 1% shot! Oh boy! That's ugly!

6 overall and Bailey is not even close to land Auston Matthews.
6 overall, Barzal/Dal Colle, and Pulock would be the ask

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Whats the point? With this organization we wont see Auston for another 3-4 years. Its the Detroit Model after all that we so love cause we cant rush our prospects!! :sarcasm:

I would much rather spend $$$ on Free Agents this year and make some smart moves then wait for more draft picks. John Tavares isnt getting any younger

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Whats the point? With this organization we wont see Auston for another 3-4 years. Its the Detroit Model after all that we so love cause we cant rush our prospects!! :sarcasm:

I would much rather spend $$$ on Free Agents this year and make some smart moves then wait for more draft picks. John Tavares isnt getting any younger
Draft picks and free agent signings arent mutually exclusive.

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
Why wouldn't Hamonic and our 1st and maybe a conditional 2017 pick get Edmonton's pick? What else would be needed to make that happen? I certainly wouldn't throw in one of our top prospects.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

So, here it goes:

If we want Austin Watson, we're going to have to negotiate with Nashville at some point ;)

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I'd rather use that on a LW in the NHL than Auston Matthews, who will be an excellent NHLer but the last thing we need is another center prospect.

Matthews is too good to pass up and I believe with his size and that he is very strong on the puck he can plays wings and also he can replace JT eventually (in case JT may not resign as an UFA which is not all that unlikely - see Stamkos). JT can also be switched to wings as he play that position before and I am sure he can do that. With Matthews and JT you have 2 lethal weapons on the same line and that eliminate the other team's ability to double up on either one of them. It is more important the you can maximize the ability of your top players and do not worry abut positions.

If Laine is there, it will be another good option. There are also a few real talented players beside those 2 in this draft, especially in the top 8 so if Isles can trade up again in the 1st round, they should go for it. Hammer is hard to replace, but if you need to trade him, make sure you maximize the value and get the best players or prospects you can get back, regardless the position.

Beside with the expansion draft, it is better to streamline and improve the quality instead of quantity of your players.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
At this rate, we will be right in the thick of the A. Matthews hunt, pinning our hopes on the one or two lottery combinations that get generated for 14th worst in the league.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
At this rate, we will be right in the thick of the A. Matthews hunt, pinning our hopes on the one or two lottery combinations that get generated for 14th worst in the league.

Well, I look at this way; if we had a 1% chance of missing the playoffs, and we do that then we had a 1% chance of winning the first pick over all, then we must have a 2% chance.

... what's "mutually exclusive" mean?

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
And if the Islanders do win the lottery, Don Maloney calls Garth Snow, offers Dylan Strome for the first pick, Garth says yes, Don Maloney laughs. We cry, or laugh in absolute hysterics.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If we somehow end up with the first overall pick, he's going to Arizona for OEL.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If we somehow end up with the first overall pick, he's going to Arizona for OEL.

We're already in complete Fantasy Land from the beginning of this thread, so we might as well stay there, right?

I think if this bizarre situation were to play out, and we did win the 1st pick, a trade with Arizona would be quite the blockbuster that would probably also result in our Strome going to Arizona, or their Strome coming here. There always has been, and always will be something about brothers playing on the same team.

Also, if we win the lottery, all bets are off. Any crazy thing can happen. For better or for worse, any crazy thing can happen.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
We're already in complete Fantasy Land from the beginning of this thread, so we might as well stay there, right?

I think if this bizarre situation were to play out, and we did win the 1st pick, a trade with Arizona would be quite the blockbuster that would probably also result in our Strome going to Arizona, or their Strome coming here. There always has been, and always will be something about brothers playing on the same team.

Also, if we win the lottery, all bets are off. Any crazy thing can happen. For better or for worse, any crazy thing can happen.

If we add Strome I would want Duclair or Domi in return. Full Fantasy Land!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad