Getting a smaller skate?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I've been wearing a 7 men's which is almost equivalent to my shoe size(9 ladies, slightly wide), but on the ice yestrday, I started wondering if I should try to drop down a size. I have sensitive feet, and am kind of afraid this could hurt, tho.

Also, it would drop me into Senior boys sizes and I've heard the boys skate isn't as protectivem, plus would a smaller size effect my balancez?

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
You can get size 6 in men's skates. I am in the same boat as you. When I first started I wore size 7 skates.

I now wear size 6.

Lukko4

May 15, 2002
Montreal, QC
Size 6 is a senior sized skate, except for Mission that has size 6 as a Junior sized skate.....if anything, try on a 6.5 sized skate first to see how that feels. You may not need to drop down the whole full size, but maybe only a half.

Junior sized skates will be as protected, depending on the model. If you go low-end then yeah, you will be exposed, but if you go medium to high end, you will get the same protection as an equivalent senior sized skate.

A smaller size may affect your balance, as your chasis/blade size will be smaller, but also that could positively affect your balance and agility because you may have a better fit, and thus more control over the skate. Give it a try and see how it feels

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Softer might be good. A littler narrower, too. My right foot tends to feel a tad loose in my current skate.

First question, who fitted you? Did a shop employee fit you or did you just get a pair that seemed to fit pretty good.

Second question, what do you mean by loose? Loose as in width or length? It could be that you are in the wrong width skate or in a skate that really isn't meant for your foot.

Your toes should just brush the end the skate when fully tightened. The lacing should remain the same width from the toe all the way to the top. It's ok if it gets wider or a little narrower at the very very top. If it gets narrower in the middle you are in the wrong width. When fully tightened, at the third eyelet down from the top. Take a pencil and hold it across. It should only touch the outside edges of the boot, not the tounge. If it touches the tounge you need a deeper fitting boot.

I know better then to ask a lady her weight. So I'll tell you this much. When dealing with Jr sizes it depends on your weight. I could probably wear a Jr size but I am just over the weight limit. When I asked the guy who fitted me said if I did the skate would break down faster then normal.

A softer boot might just be a lower level model of skate. If you are in a high end skate you might want to drop down a few models.

Most importantly. Different brands fit different. Don't assume that a 7 Graf is the same as a 7 CCM or Bauer. for example - I wear a 6.5 RBK and a 7 Graf and I really need a 6.25 RBK.

If all this seems like mumbo-jumbo. Go to your local hockey shop and have someone fit you properly. In the end it's really worth it.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Make sure that the employee knows what they're doing.

When I was first fitted with my size 7 skates I got told "No no, your toes shouldn't touch the front." With my size 6, they barely touch.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
First question, who fitted you? Did a shop employee fit you or did you just get a pair that seemed to fit pretty good.

Second question, what do you mean by loose? Loose as in width or length? It could be that you are in the wrong width skate or in a skate that really isn't meant for your foot.

I put 'em on as a teen, they seemed to fit okay. Didn't realize you could be professionally fitted. In other news, guess who's never played ice hockey beyond a rec league level.....

And they do seem a bit wide. Men's skates are a D width, woman's a B. Guess who comes in at a C?

Anywho, the fit isn't too bad....I try to lace 'em tight, just figured maybe it's not just my crappy athletisism thats causing me to be completly horible at shinny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->