Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Never saw the movie, but I did read the book.

Some slight differences between the movie and the book (with one major difference regarding the fate of a specific character) but overall the movie was pretty well done. Willem Dafoe as Virgil Cole, Danny Glover as the squadron CO, Tom Sizemore as Boxman, and Law & Order's Dann Florek as Mad Jack the Jungle Quack (the squadron's flight surgeon), along with Ving Rhames and David Schwimmer in bit roles

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Name: Damian
Sex: M
Where You're From: Michigan
Where You Live Now: Palm Bay, FL
Nationality: American and French Canadian
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: Car
Job: School Counselor
What brought you to HF Boards: Talking hockey, doesn't happen in FL.
How you became a hockey fan: Watching Irbe and Brodeur.
How you became a Canes fan: I just watched players and didn't have a specific team until the Canes went up against the giant Red Wings in 02. I was pulling for the Canes to win so bad, that I just became a life long fan.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Literally, everything.
Favorite Canes Player: Now: Aho All Time: Wardo
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Now: Thornton, Stamkos All Time: Lecavalier, Brodeur
Other Sports You Like: All
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Lightning, Pistons, Bucs, and Detroit Tigers
College Attended/Attending: UCF
Video Game Systems Owned: N64
Favorite Game(s): Assassins Creed, WCW/NWO Revenge, and Streets of Rage 2
Music You Listen To: Meshuggah, Misery Signals
Favorite Movie(s): Drive, Road to Perdition, Lars and the Real Girl, Lawless, Gladiator, The Matrix
Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter: Deathly Hollows and the Amazing Spider-man
Favorite Food(s): Pizza
Favorite TV Show(s): True Detectives, Ozark, and Friends
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Adidas away and 3rd Aho, Ward current home adidas and 06 home, E. Staal 09 home and away, Skinner 15 home, Lecavalier 04 home and current home, Stamkos current home, Khabibulin 04 home, Brodeur 2003 away.

Last edited:

jrcanesfan30

Jun 19, 2018
Name: Jakob
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Raleigh
Where You Live Now: Boone/Raleigh
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Blone
Eye Color: Green
Job: Intern in Research Triangle
What brought you to HF Boards: Trade Rumors
How you became a hockey fan: Going to games when I was young
How you became a Canes fan: Having season tickets the year we won the Cup.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Having a Stanley Cup during my life
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Cam Ward
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Ovechkin
Other Sports You Like: Golf, Football, Basketball, Soccer
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Carolina Panthers, Duke Basketball, Bayern Munich
College Attended/Attending: Appalachian State
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox One
Favorite Game(s): Fortnite
Music You Listen To: Logic
Favorite Movie(s): Argo, Avatar, Iron Man
Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter
Favorite TV Show(s): GOT
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner
Anything Else: The Canes are my child

ob001

Jun 16, 2018
Name: Olan
Sex: male
Where You're From: Pembroke, NC
Where You Live Now: Greenville, NC
Eye Color: Green
Job: N/A
What brought you to HF Boards: Wanted a place to discuss hockey with fellow fans
How you became a hockey fan: Watching games and learning the rules
How you became a Canes fan: Closest team
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan:
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Jordan Staal
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Alexander Ovechkin
Other Sports You Like: Baseball, Football, Soccer
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Baltimore Orioles, Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, ECU Pirates
College Attended/Attending: East Carolina University
Video Game Systems Owned: PS4
Favorite Game(s): Assassin's Creed
Music You Listen To: Any/Every
Favorite Movie(s): N/A
Favorite Book(s): N/A
Favorite TV Show(s): N/A
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: None (Yet)
Anything Else: Go Canes!

OakCity

Jun 24, 2018
Name: Jon
Sex: male
Where You're From: Syracuse, NY
Where You Live Now: Raleigh, NC
What brought you to HF Boards: I've been looking around for awhile, decided to join.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up watching hockey. Got to see Saturday night hockey with the Leafs, generally.
How you became a Canes fan: Going to the Games. I was never a real fan of any team, but I did get to see the Leafs play a lot. We even went to Maple Leafs Garden for our school trip. My favorite player was Sundin.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Going to the Games (cheap)
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Finish guys right now (Aho/Turbo), but originally it was Erik Staal and Cole.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Barkov

Other Sports You Like: Baseball, Football
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Eagles and Phillies
Video Game Systems Owned: PC
Music You Listen To: Rock
Favorite TV Show(s): N/A
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: I mostly wear hats, but I got to be careful. I have a few nice ones.
Anything Else: Ready for another parade!

harrierjames

Jul 2, 2018
Name: James
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Birmingham, England
Where You Live Now: Kidderminster/Sheffield, England
Nationality: British
Eye Color: Blue
Mode of Transportation: Foot/Train/Tram
Job: Student
What brought you to HF Boards: The distinct lack of any Canes-related conversation on any British hockey sites!
How you became a hockey fan: I first watched hockey during the 2006 Winter Olympics... when I made the stupid decision, feeling all pumped and macho, to pull my tooth out with the aid of a toffee! Thereafter, didn't watch until the 2014 Olympics and fell in love with the sport. Moved to Sheffield for uni, one reason was that it allowed me to access live hockey.
How you became a Canes fan: Started watching some of the limited free games shown in Britain. Always had a love for the Finnish players. Gotta root for an underdog!
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Nobody in Britain knows anything about them (bar the diehard hockey fans) so I'm never accused of being a plastic fan, or a bandwagoner.
Favorite Canes Player(s): Cam Ward, Sebastian Aho, Teuvo Teravainen, Jaccob Slavin
Favorite NON Canes Player(s): Sergei Bobrovsky, Roberto Luongo, Patrik Laine, Teemu Selanne, Liam Kirk, Kevin Nastiuk
Other Sports You Like: Football ('soccer')
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Kidderminster Harriers FC, Hallam FC, Sheffield Steelers, Sheffield Steeldogs
College Attended/Attending: University of Sheffield
Video Game Systems Owned: PC, PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS, Xbox One
Favorite Game(s): NHL, Football Manager 2005, Settlers of Catan
Music You Listen To: Asgeir, Of Monsters and Men, Kasabian, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, PWEI, Biffy Clyro, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, The Smiths, Bears Den, Radiohead, The Streets, Crystal Fighters, Everything Everything, Portishead, Friendly Fires, Kraftwerk
Favorite Movie(s):
Favorite Book(s):
Favorite Food(s):
Favorite TV Shows: The IT Crowd, Mock The Week, In The Flesh, Citizen Smith, Only Fools and Horses, The Simpsons, Frankie Boyle
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Canes 2013-17 Reebok Home, Finland Nike 2014 Olympics, Sheffield Steelers 2016-17 Home #20 J. Phillips, Sheffield Steeldogs 2017-18 Home #6 Morgan
Anything Else:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
How you became a hockey fan: I first watched hockey during the 2006 Winter Olympics... when I made the stupid decision, feeling all pumped and macho, to pull my tooth out with the aid of a toffee! Thereafter, didn't watch until the 2014 Olympics and fell in love with the sport.
I feel like this story could use some more development.

Welcome, James.

SweetStormRising

Sponsor
Mar 21, 2009
Raleigh
Name: Dawn
Sex: Female
Where You're From: Northern Illinois
Where You Live Now: Raleigh
Hair Color: Blonde/Brown mix
Eye Color: greyish Blue with some green too lol
Job: Realtor, Official Realtor of Section 328 :)
What brought you to HF Boards: during the 2006 Stanley Cup run I joined every Canes message board I could find.
How you became a hockey fan: my HS boyfriend played Junior B hockey. After 1 game I was hooked!
How you became a Canes fan: I was a Blackhawks fan (still am) and used to go to games in Chicago. When I moved here at the end of 98, we went to about 15 canes games per year when they were in Greensboro and about 30 once they moved to Raleigh. We became season ticket holders during the Cup run of 2002
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Game 7, watching my boys grow up at the arena
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Erik Cole
Other Sports You Like: Football, Basketball, Swimming, Baseball
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Chicago Cubs
College Attended/Attending: Rockford University
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox One (I don't play)
Favorite Game(s): Covet Fashion lol (iphone game)
Music You Listen To: I will listen to anything except Jazz. My playlists are mostly mainstream hip hop, 80's hair bands and classic rock. I love going to live shows.
Favorite Movie(s): Braveheart
Favorite Book(s): I still love Davinci Code
Favorite Food(s): Chocolate
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner, Tuomo Ruutu, Erik Cole, Jaccob Slavin, Justin Faulk and hubby also has Ray Whitney and my oldest son has Terravainen
Anything Else: I love to tail gate

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Name: Dawn
Sex: Female
Where You're From: Northern Illinois
Where You Live Now: Raleigh
Hair Color: Blonde/Brown mix
Eye Color: greyish Blue with some green too lol
Job: Realtor, Official Realtor of Section 328 :)
What brought you to HF Boards: during the 2006 Stanley Cup run I joined every Canes message board I could find.
How you became a hockey fan: my HS boyfriend played Junior B hockey. After 1 game I was hooked!
How you became a Canes fan: I was a Blackhawks fan (still am) and used to go to games in Chicago. When I moved here at the end of 98, we went to about 15 canes games per year when they were in Greensboro and about 30 once they moved to Raleigh. We became season ticket holders during the Cup run of 2002
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Game 7, watching my boys grow up at the arena
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Erik Cole
Other Sports You Like: Football, Basketball, Swimming, Baseball
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Chicago Cubs
College Attended/Attending: Rockford University
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox One (I don't play)
Favorite Game(s): Covet Fashion lol (iphone game)
Music You Listen To: I will listen to anything except Jazz. My playlists are mostly mainstream hip hop, 80's hair bands and classic rock. I love going to live shows.
Favorite Movie(s): Braveheart
Favorite Book(s): I still love Davinci Code
Favorite Food(s): Chocolate
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner, Tuomo Ruutu, Erik Cole, Jaccob Slavin, Justin Faulk and hubby also has Ray Whitney and my oldest son has Terravainen
Anything Else: I love to tail gate

Are you... are you Linda Craft?

harrierjames

Jul 2, 2018
I feel like this story could use some more development.

Welcome, James.

Thanks geehaad!

Hahahah so pretty much as I described it there! My first encounter with hockey was in the 2006 olympics. I had a tooth half hanging from the gum that was causing me a lot of pain. I saw some tough competition and plucked up the courage to sort out the cause of my pain... by taking a hard toffee and chewing on it so as to pull my tooth out!

Blood...

Everywhere... :laugh:

harrierjames

Jul 2, 2018
It's the "there was so much blood that I was put off from hockey for eight years!" bit that I find confusing.

No, no this wasn't the case! Hockey is a minority sport in the UK and has next to zero coverage. Even though it was a little over a decade ago, has I been able to find any dodgy streams online, the internet connection was so bad then I would have been unable to watch anyway! The only real chances you get, living away from the 'hot beds' of UK hockey, is through the Winter Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad