Confirmed with Link: Get excited about Filip Gustavsson

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It doesnt' excuse the course of action, but the context when Taylor was signed is very different to what we have now

That is very true. However, maybe its time Danny Taylor took a seat and let Hogberg run with the job for a few games instead of just shipping him back and forth between Belleville and Brampton.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
That is very true. However, maybe its time Danny Taylor took a seat and let Hogberg run with the job for a few games instead of just shipping him back and forth between Belleville and Brampton.

I agree 100%

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
During question period, Bruce Garrioch reported that Senators goalie coach Pierre Groulx will be heading over to Sweden tomorrow to watch 3 of Filip Gustavsson's games. Just to size him up, he won't be there to coach him. The plan is for Gus' to come over to NA at the end of the SHL season and play in Belleville. Gustavsson is excited about Filip Gustavsson.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Hogberg has had the opportunity to run with the job, he just hasn’t figured everything out yet. He’s had some good outings but it’s been followed by several poor ones. You can’t expect him to jump in the net during games and figure it out. Letting Taylor take most of the games is probably best for Hogberg. Let him work on some details in practice and in an ECHL game and then give him his chance again.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's still adapting to the North American game.

He'll be 24 in November, and has only appeared in less than 30 games since he's come over to North America.

He needs to play at least 1 full season in the AHL before we know what he is, and whether to re-sign him after next season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hadn't realized, but apparently the CHL phased out allowing European goalies in the import draft back in 2014, but are now considering lifting that ban. This won't affect guys like Hogberg or Gustavsson, but will open up the potential of guys taking the route Lehner did, where a europen goalie doesn't need to adjust to the NA game.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hogberg has had the opportunity to run with the job, he just hasn’t figured everything out yet. He’s had some good outings but it’s been followed by several poor ones. You can’t expect him to jump in the net during games and figure it out. Letting Taylor take most of the games is probably best for Hogberg. Let him work on some details in practice and in an ECHL game and then give him his chance again.
Heh???
View media item 1517

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

One thing some people don't understand on how it works in the NHL : merit.

You have to earn your ice-time, you have to earn your roster spot. Giving things on a silver platter to a young prospect is the last thing you want for his development. Just like Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Ceci, Chabot, Pageau, Dzingel, etc , they fought and earned it.

That being said, I'm really not a KK fan and don't trust his judgment much.

Last edited:

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
During question period, Bruce Garrioch reported that Senators goalie coach Pierre Groulx will be heading over to Sweden tomorrow to watch 3 of Filip Gustavsson's games. Just to size him up, he won't be there to coach him. The plan is for Gus' to come over to NA at the end of the SHL season and play in Belleville. Gustavsson is excited about Filip Gustavsson.

Gustavsson is excited about Gustavsson? Ego much? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
If Gustavsson becomes our No. 1 this will be his theme song during warm up at home oin the playoffs. Just to get him going. RIP Gordie baby.

People will be afraid of our Gus though.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I thought the odds of this happening this season were also really low and look where we are. The signing of Danny Taylor was inexplicable especially when they still had Hammond on the books. I do not trust this management team, they screwed it up pretty bad this year.

Belleville needs to roll with a Gus/Hogberg duo next season. No need for any other depth goaltenders.

Perhaps this interview will explain the logic of bringing in Taylor

Kleinendorst: Above all else, Colin White needs to improve one thing

Reactions: Hands of Stone

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
He's still adapting to the North American game.

He'll be 24 in November, and has only appeared in less than 30 games since he's come over to North America.

He needs to play at least 1 full season in the AHL before we know what he is, and whether to re-sign him after next season.

Agreed. Many goalies only figure things out when they’re around 30. Not saying that I necessarily think he will, but I’m just saying he’s still young for a goalie

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yes, he was part of the Duchene trade.
They kept him assigned to Belleville initially though to avoid the necessity of him having to move. I think for family reasons. Then injury call-up happened and not sure if he returned to Belleville following that.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You have to earn your ice-time, you have to earn your roster spot

Danny Taylor, Tyler Randell, Selleck, Moutry, Reinhart, Blunden, etc. (honestly, I can go on and on). Not sure any of these guys have done anything to "earn their ice-time", yet here we are.

Hopefully Hogberg and Gus get all the starts the rest of the way. Danny Taylor, take a seat.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Danny Taylor, Tyler Randell, Selleck, Moutry, Reinhart, Blunden, etc. (honestly, I can go on and on). Not sure any of these guys have done anything to "earn their ice-time", yet here we are.

Hopefully Hogberg and Gus get all the starts the rest of the way. Danny Taylor, take a seat.

I was talking about the NHL and I have no idea of what happens in the AHL in reality so hard to comment. Of course, I'd like prospects to be developed properly. Francis Perron is the example of a guy who hasn't been put in a position to succeed. I remember last season when he was finally put on a scoring line, he went close to PPG with 12 points in 15 games in his rookie season.This guy should be seen as a top-9 forward prospect but is currently an after thought for most Sens fasn.

Note : Thankfully, Taylor only had a 1 year deal. Maybe the plan was to develop Hogberg slowly (which seems to be a good idea based on results), but what about Driedger? Maybe they banked on being able to move Hammond without having him staying in Belleville.

Driedger is RFA at the end of the current season. Wondering what will happen with him. Hogberg and Gustavsson should be the 2 goalies in Belleville next season. Jut hire better vets at forward and defense.

=================================================================

Speaking of that, here are the players I want to see back in Belleville next season :

Thomas Chabot, Colin White, Max McCormick (13th forward on a 1-way), Ben Harpur (#4-6 D-man on a 1-way) and possibly Nick Paul and Filip Chlapik should all be with the big club next year. I graduated them all to Ottawa.

Gabriel Gagne, Francis Perron, Ben Sexton, Jim O'Brien, Jack Rodewald, Christian Jaros, Maxime Lajoie, Andreas Englund, Ville Pokka, Jordan Murray, Marcus Hogberg and Chris Driedger (ECHL callup)

Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Aaron Luchuk, Christian Wolanin (question mark though), Kelly Summers and Filip Gustavsson will be added to that group. I dunno if Markus Nurmi will come over though

Erik Burgdoerfer will be back too as he has an AHL contract.

Anyway, this is what the line-up could look like (or should IMO):

Perron-Brown-Gagne
Luchuk-Batherson-Sexton
xxxxxx-O'Brien-Rodewald
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx

Lajoie-Jaros
Wolanin-Summers
Englund-Pokka
Murray-Burgdoerfer

Hogberg
Gustavsson
Driedger

Sign 1 very good AHL forward and things could look much better.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I bet Gustavsson next season starts the yr in the ECHL while Driedger & Hogberg share the Belleville net.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can't help but wonder....is our targeting of goalies that bad, or is our development system in Bingo/Belleville just not working for netminders?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I can't help but wonder....is our targeting of goalies that bad, or is our development system in Bingo/Belleville just not working for netminders?

I think it’s more that goalies are super hard to predict. And it’s not like we drafted any in the early rounds either. Gustav is our first legit goalie prospect in a while.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->