Confirmed with Link: Get excited about Filip Gustavsson

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I also remember reading that he is coming to play in Belleville as soon as his SHL is over (which will be soon). After fumble clicking through the Lulea website (it's all Swedish!) I discovered that their final game of the regular season is on March 10th.

I don't know if they are playoff bound, but if not, he could be in Belleville pretty soon!

5 headed goaltending monster in Belleville!! Can't wait! :sarcasm:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
All I know is that it feels good to have a blue chip goalie in the pipeline. Will be interesting to see how Hogburg plays out too. I don't expect to see either goalie for a few years, unless we really force it.

It puts my goaltending woes at ease right now.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Needs to play in North America ASAP.

Goaltenders after more affected by the differences in the size differences between International sized ice and North American sized ice surfaces. Many former goaltenders have pointed this out.

He needs a minimum of two complete seasons (no call ups for a look-see) in the AHL as a "starter", maybe three.

I agree with it. I'm a goalie myself, not on the ice but the basic are the same when it come the size.

I'm playing in one league which has a shorter length but very wide with ice size goal( look like an international size ). In the other league, it's very compact. The length is greater but the wall are so near my goal it is crazy( look more like NA size ).

The play is so much different, for me. On my second league even if I push the rebound to the wall, i have to be ready because the ball will come back so fast. In my first league, if i push to rebound to the wall i can take my more time to stand up and place myself back. The player have more space for control, while the other one very fast pace.

There is a major difference. If he is ready, let him come. If not, let him play another season in sweden then let him come. But i'm all for him coming ASAP.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
2 more years in Sweden then atleast 1.5 in the AHL please. Goalies never pan out when rushed, most arent ready to play in the NHL until they are 24 or 25.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We also have to hope that Belleville doesn't have 4 goaltenders next year. Next season the only two goalies in Belleville should be Hogberg and Gus, THATS IT, no free agent signing from the KHL, nothing, nada. Let these two Swedes battle it out together, even if they struggle. I hope that the team will be better, but its hard to imagine especially if Dorion/Lee are still responsible for filling out the roster.

I think the odds of us having four goalies in Belleville are incredibly low.

I don't think we bring back Danny Taylor, and we no longer own the rights to Andrew Hammond. I also don't think it is a given that we waste a contract slot on Driedger who hasn't shown enough positive progression.

How I envision our goalie situation playing out next season, is that assuming Condon and Anderson both play well enough to secure their NHL jobs, Hogberg will begin as the starter in Belleville, while Gustavsson will start in the ECHL with a similar plan to Hogberg where he graduates up to the AHL mid season. It's possible we keep Driedger for one more do or die year, and he ends up rotting away backing up Hogberg, and when Gustavsson graduates to the AHL, Driedger eventually is either assigned to the ECHL (assuming he approves it since he is not on his ELC) or stays on as a 3rd AHL goalie or is loaned to a different AHL team.

If Hogberg somehow manages to steal one of the NHL jobs, one of Condon or Anderson will be in the AHL. While Anderson being in the AHL seems unfathomable, I think the team is at the point where they aren't afraid to waive veterans who they perceive as not living up to their end of the deal. We saw Burrows hit waivers earlier this season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's coming to Belleville this season after his SHL season is over
Well I hope he plays and he is ready, he is only 19. I dont see the rush personally, why not let Hogberg start in the AHL this and next while he continues to develop. Its not like he is lighting up the SHL.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
All I know is that it feels good to have a blue chip goalie in the pipeline. Will be interesting to see how Hogburg plays out too. I don't expect to see either goalie for a few years, unless we really force it.

It puts my goaltending woes at ease right now.

We have had some highly touted guys before, it seems to be a massive weakness in our development model, Emery, Lehner and Elliott are the best that come to mind that we have drafted and developed, which is underwhelming imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
2 more years in Sweden then atleast 1.5 in the AHL please. Goalies never pan out when rushed, most arent ready to play in the NHL until they are 24 or 25.

I think this was more accurate in the past but now goalies come and have an impact at a younger age than before. Here's a list of active goalies who have had relative success before being 24 y/o. Some won Cups before being 24 y/o, some were named for the Calder, some become their team's N.1, some were efficient right away

Andrei Vasilevskiy
Matt Murray
John Gibson
Connor Hellebuyck
Carey Price
Tuukka Rask
Henrik Lundqvist
Braden Holtby
Sergei Bobrovsky
Semyon Varlamov
Jonathan Quick
Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward
Kari Lehtonen
Steve Mason
Jaroslav Halak
Robin Lehner
Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer
Petr Mrazek
Michal Neuvirth
Juuse Saros
Philipp Grubauer
Jhonas Enroth
Darcy Kuemper
Tristan Jarry

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

I don't think we bring back Danny Taylor, and we no longer own the rights to Andrew Hammond. I also don't think it is a given that we waste a contract slot on Driedger who hasn't shown enough positive progression.

How I envision our goalie situation playing out next season, is that assuming Condon and Anderson both play well enough to secure their NHL jobs, Hogberg will begin as the starter in Belleville, while Gustavsson will start in the ECHL with a similar plan to Hogberg where he graduates up to the AHL mid season. It's possible we keep Driedger for one more do or die year, and he ends up rotting away backing up Hogberg, and when Gustavsson graduates to the AHL, Driedger eventually is either assigned to the ECHL (assuming he approves it since he is not on his ELC) or stays on as a 3rd AHL goalie or is loaned to a different AHL team.

If Hogberg somehow manages to steal one of the NHL jobs, one of Condon or Anderson will be in the AHL. While Anderson being in the AHL seems unfathomable, I think the team is at the point where they aren't afraid to waive veterans who they perceive as not living up to their end of the deal. We saw Burrows hit waivers earlier this season.

Taylor is an UFA this summer, and I agree that he is not going to be back.

Both Gustavsson & Hoberg are both under contract for next season (and beyond) and I suspect that you're right, that it might be wise to resign Driedger, a RFA this summer, as he is the only one with any NHL experience.

I have a hard seeing Hogberg stealing a job at the NHL level, with only 15 games in total, at the AHL level.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm fine with Hogberg, Gustavsson and Driedger as the main goalies in the system.

If push comes to shove and the team absolutely needs a goalie with NHL experience, then it's not that hard to acquire one.

Condon was had for a 5th. Mrazek was just traded for a couple of picks. Mrazek has that expensive contract, but the point remains that there are always goalies available and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get one. I'd much rather give up a late round pick for a goalie in the event the team needs one so that the franchise can allow the goalies if the future to play.

I hope they let the two Swedes get as much experience as humanly possible next season and then re-assess in the summer of 2019.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Taylor is an UFA this summer, and I agree that he is not going to be back.

Both Gustavsson & Hoberg are both under contract for next season (and beyond) and I suspect that you're right, that it might be wise to resign Driedger, a RFA this summer, as he is the only one with any NHL experience.

I have a hard seeing Hogberg stealing a job at the NHL level, with only 15 games in total, at the AHL level.

Didn't he pretty much say the opposite of that? Let Driedger go, he's not progressed and 95 mins of nhl action are inconsequential. We can pick up a vet AHL vet with more NHL experience for next to nothing if that's what we want. Assign him to the ECHL if Hogberg and Gustavsson show they are better options in the AHL.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I thought the odds of this happening this season were also really low and look where we are. The signing of Danny Taylor was inexplicable especially when they still had Hammond on the books. I do not trust this management team, they screwed it up pretty bad this year.

Belleville needs to roll with a Gus/Hogberg duo next season. No need for any other depth goaltenders.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We need to get Belleville sorted out before bringing over yet another goalie. No sense bringing him over if he only gets a dozen starts. Clear out the deadweight first.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I thought the odds of this happening this season were also really low and look where we are. The signing of Danny Taylor was inexplicable especially when they still had Hammond on the books. I do not trust this management team, they screwed it up pretty bad this year.

Belleville needs to roll with a Gus/Hogberg duo next season. No need for any other depth goaltenders.

They've been trying to unload Hammond for ages, prior to bringing in Taylor.

They wanted his salary off the books, and Taylor was insurance one they rid themselves of Hammond ................. it's took longer than they wanted, but it happened.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
They've been trying to unload Hammond for ages, prior to bringing in Taylor.

They wanted his salary off the books, and Taylor was insurance one they rid themselves of Hammond ................. it's took longer than they wanted, but it happened.

I understand what happened and why there are 4 goalies. No need to "inform me". Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee botched this situation, no other way to look at it. They wasted a whole year of development for Hogberg, they should have just kept him in Sweden. The point was that Hammond was still part of this organization, there was no need to sign Taylor when Hammond was still under contract. Also, there is absolutely no reason for Danny Taylor to be still starting the majority of the games. He has been horrible and so has the team.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I understand what happened and why there are 4 goalies. No need to "inform me". Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee botched this situation, no other way to look at it. They wasted a whole year of development for Hogberg, they should have just kept him in Sweden. The point was that Hammond was still part of this organization, there was no need to sign Taylor when Hammond was still under contract. Also, there is absolutely no reason for Danny Taylor to be still starting the majority of the games. He has been horrible and so has the team.

Hogberg was under contract to Ottawa, and he and the Senators both wanted him to play in North America.

Yes Hammond was under contract, but they were going to trade him...... and therefore decided they needed a cheaper veteran goaltender under contract, for Belleville.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yes Hammond was under contract, but they were going to trade him

And they didn't, and when they finally did, they allowed him to keep starting games in Belleville.

I know this isn't a "Melnyk thread", but why did we need to get out from his contract so badly?? Why not just let him finish the year in Belleville? No need to sign Taylor (who has been awful), could have saved Uncle Euge $850K. Probably would have also saved us a draft pick in the Duchene trade.

and therefore decided they needed a cheaper veteran goaltender under contract, for Belleville.

Why even qualify Dreidger then??

Honestly, of all the things to defend management over, this is probably the worst. Having 4 goalies with your AHL affiliate is a perfect example of very poor planning and mismanagement. If you can't see that, you are really drinking the kool-aid.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And they didn't, and when they did, they allowed him to keep starting games in Belleville. MAJOR FAIL

Why even qualify Dreidger then??

Honestly, of all the things to defend management over, this is probably the worst. Having 4 goalies with your AHL affiliate is a perfect example of very poor planning and mismanagement. If you can't see that, you are really drinking the kool-aid.

Please explain how they knew who they would trade Hammond to, and whether or not that team would have room for Hammond in their minor league system and would ask for him to remain in Belleville until they had room, as part of the trade?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Didn't he pretty much say the opposite of that? Let Driedger go, he's not progressed and 95 mins of nhl action are inconsequential. We can pick up a vet AHL vet with more NHL experience for next to nothing if that's what we want. Assign him to the ECHL if Hogberg and Gustavsson show they are better options in the AHL.

Hope this explains it.

It's possible we keep Driedger for one more do or die year, and he ends up rotting away backing up Hogberg, and when Gustavsson graduates to the AHL, Driedger eventually is either assigned to the ECHL (assuming he approves it since he is not on his ELC) or stays on as a 3rd AHL goalie or is loaned to a different AHL team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Please explain how they knew who they would trade Hammond to, and whether or not that team would have room for Hammond in their minor league system and would ask for him to remain in Belleville until they had room, as part of the trade?

Please explain to me who it was exactly that signed Andrew Hammond to a 3 year extension? They had Hammond under contract, no need and no reason to have signed Danny Taylor. You couldn't find any takers for Hammond last year, odds were pretty low to find any this year. Heck, even when they did, they had to give up an extra draft pick AND keep the guy playing in your organization. Giving up a draft pick to eat salary when you are supposed to be following through with a "renewed commitment to drafting and development" is quite the contradiction. Also not sure how the "renewed commitment to development" works when a 31 year old Danny Taylor gets the majority of starts in the developmental league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hope this explains it.
Not that it really matters, but how on earth did you read that as "it might be wise to re-sign Driedger"? It seems pretty clear that he didn't think that wise given he in the same post described the potential situation of giving Driedger a contract as "wasting a contract on him"

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Please explain to me who it was exactly that signed Andrew Hammond to a 3 year extension? They had Hammond under contract, no need and no reason to have signed Danny Taylor. You couldn't find any takers for Hammond last year, odds were pretty low to find any this year. Heck, even when they did, they had to give up an extra draft pick AND keep the guy playing in your organization. Giving up a draft pick to eat salary when you are supposed to be following through with a "renewed commitment to drafting and development" is quite the contradiction. Also not sure how the "renewed commitment to development" works when a 31 year old Danny Taylor gets the majority of starts in the developmental league.

I am also befuddled at how the goalies have been handled, but I did just want to point out that the renewed commitment to drafting and development is a pretty recent announcement by the team. That wasn't the direction they were going in last summer when they signed Taylor.

It doesnt' excuse the course of action, but the context when Taylor was signed is very different to what we have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->