Petr Fical - Nürnberg Ice Tigers
Tino Boos - Kölner Haie
Jan Benda - Litvinov CHP HC (Czech)
Yannic Seidenberg - ERC Ingolstadt
Philip Gogulla - Kölner Haie

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
If anyone wonders why it's not a 23-men roster, Uwe Krupp gave an explanation for it:

Germany will be without it's NHL-pros until the tournament starts, so they will miss seven of those guys in the games against Austria and Russia. Because of these pre-tournament games and the fact that some of the players aren't completely healthy right now, there are more players on this roster than there should be. It will be cut down to 30 at the end of january and further down to 23+3 right before the tournament.

With Jonas and Jung being left of the list, I'm pretty confident that Thomas Greiss will make the team. I doubt that Gogulla will make the cut, though.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Sanderson said:
If anyone wonders why it's not a 23-men roster, Uwe Krupp gave an explanation for it:

Germany will be without it's NHL-pros until the tournament starts, so they will miss seven of those guys in the games against Austria and Russia. Because of these pre-tournament games and the fact that some of the players aren't completely healthy right now, there are more players on this roster than there should be. It will be cut down to 30 at the end of january and further down to 23+3 right before the tournament.
:confused:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
What? :confused:

What games against Austria and Russia?

IIHF made it pretty clear: 23+3 by the 23rd of december.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com

23 players on IIHF.com:

Olaf Kölzig
Robert Müller
Thomas Greiss

Sascha Goc
Christian Ehrhoff
Christoph Schubert
Stefan Schauer
Andreas Renz
Alexander Sulzer
Lasse Kopitz
Dennis Seidenberg

Stefan Ustorf
Jochen Hecht
Marco Sturm
Daniel Kreutzer
Alexander Barta
Forward
Thomas Martinec
Eduard Lewandowski
Klaus Kathan
Marcel Goc
Michael Hackert
Petr Fical
Jan Benda

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr0606.htm

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
TORRUS said:
What? :confused:

What games against Austria and Russia?

IIHF made it pretty clear: 23+3 by the 23rd of december.

As I said in the next sentence: "Because of these pre-tournament games..."

This roster is the one that was officially released by the DEB today. It does not say that this roster is the one for the Olympics.
Yes, 23 players had to be named (not 23+3), but they can be replaced in case of injury until the tournament begins. These are the 34 players Krupp will use. If an injury happens, the player will be replaced by one of the 11 players who are left.

rbeeler

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I am happy with the Goalies and Defense, however I would make a few changes at forward:

Hecht
Sturm
M. Goc
Kreutzer
Ustorf
Kathan
Benda
Boos
Lewandowski
Hackert
Ullmann
Gawlik/Gogulla/Barta

I would like to see the DEB continue to give younger players a chance to prove themselves. Perhaps Gawlik and Gogulla are not quite ready, however I would like to see what they can do against the world's best.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Gretzky said:
Where's Heatley?

Playing for team Canada.

I'm really happy with the (more or less) final olympic roster, I'm glad Hackert made the team after his "American adventure" :) . And wow, our blue line doesn't look too shabby on paper.
Ehrhoff / Seidenberg / Goc / Schauer / Sulzer / Schubert / Kopitz / Renz
+Benda if necessary

Who needs Lüdemann? ;)

Last edited:

SopelFan*

Jochen Hecht-Marcel Goc-Marco Sturm
Christian Ehrhoff-Christoph Schubert/Dennis Seidenberg
Olaf Kolzig

They can put out more than one line of NHLers this time! :)

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
SopelFan said:
Jochen Hecht-Marcel Goc-Marco Sturm
Christian Ehrhoff-Christoph Schubert/Dennis Seidenberg
Olaf Kolzig

They can put out more than one line of NHLers this time! :)

And most of the DELplayers have a real good season, it looks good on paper. What's about

Sturm - Goc - Hecht
Kreutzer - Ustorf - Kathan
Lewandowski - Benda - Hackert
Fical - Martinec - Barta

Seidenberg - Goc
Ehrhoff - Schubert
Kopitz - Sulzer

Kolzig
Müller
God, I hope they can develop some chemistry again and play more like they did at the WCoH than on the World Championships :propeller
Finishing better than the Swiss would be fine ;)

Henne

Jun 23, 2005
No Greiss?? What else the guy have to do?? Muller?? Come on. Here are both Griess's and Muller's stats from last year in the DEL. I think I have them right, they are in German.

Muller (Statistically the worst goalie in Germany): Save % - 88.79, GAA - 3.0 ouch

Greiss (the best in Germany): Save % - 94.83, GAA - 1.75

Now I may be a homer (Sharks fan) but seriously how can you have Muller (or anyone other than Kolzig) over Greiss?

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Henne said:
No Greiss?? What else the guy have to do?? Muller?? Come on. Here are both Griess's and Muller's stats from last year in the DEL. I think I have them right, they are in German.

Muller (Statistically the worst goalie in Germany): Save % - 88.79, GAA - 3.0 ouch

Greiss (the best in Germany): Save % - 94.83, GAA - 1.75

Now I may be a homer (Sharks fan) but seriously how can you have Muller (or anyone other than Kolzig) over Greiss?

2 reasons:
Müller is proven for the DEB team, whatever his season was.

And I don't want to put too much pressure on Greiss. If he's the #2 behind Kölzig now, everyone expects him to be #1 at the B championships and thats a lot of pressure. IMO give him 1 game at the olympics if possible and let him split duties at the world championships with Müller. No need to hurry, it's his first year as a semi starter in Germany and his first big tourney. If he fails as #1 it could really hurt his career in the DEL and you don't know when he can go to NA.

Last edited:

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
GermanGirl said:
No Hock or Morcinietz?

Sad but true, no. Even as a fan of Morczinietz i understand why he's not there, Lewandowski and Kreutzer are better and Kathan play's a different part. But Hock IMO would have been more useful then Fical, and we could have really used another playmaking C behind Goc. But maybe they thought Hackert could do the same?

Transported Upstater

Gretzky said:
Where's Heatley?

He was born in Freiburg, but grew up Canadian and has played internationally for Canada plenty of times.

As for the German roster, it's good to see familiar names. The country is doing something right.

rbeeler

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why was Boos left of the roster? Same with Ullmann? Were they just not good enough for the final cut?

Did Luedemann retire from the national team?

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
rbeeler said:
Why was Boos left of the roster? Same with Ullmann? Were they just not good enough for the final cut?

Did Luedemann retire from the national team?

Yeah, Lüdemann retired after Poss took over. He won't come back even now, after Poss is gone.

Boos and Ullmann have solid seasons, but nothing more. And Ullmann's Mannheim Eagles are nearly out the playoff run and are playing a poor season as a team :shakehead . That for sure doesn't rise his stocks.
Further you do not even see Furchner or Felski (who's having a really good season) on the team, it seems Krupp have his own way of hockey and prefers more creative wingers (Hackert, Fical, Barta) behind the obligatory Lewandowski, Kathan and Kreutzer.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Lion of the North said:

23 players on IIHF.com:

Olaf Kölzig
Robert Müller
Thomas Greiss

Sascha Goc
Christian Ehrhoff
Christoph Schubert
Stefan Schauer
Andreas Renz
Alexander Sulzer
Lasse Kopitz
Dennis Seidenberg

Stefan Ustorf
Jochen Hecht
Marco Sturm
Daniel Kreutzer
Alexander Barta
Forward
Thomas Martinec
Eduard Lewandowski
Klaus Kathan
Marcel Goc
Michael Hackert
Petr Fical
Jan Benda

While far from as impressive as the names on any of the Big 7 teams, this is a team that could cause problems for anybody.​

rbeeler

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Riddarn said:
While far from as impressive as the names on any of the Big 7 teams, this is a team that could cause problems for anybody.

Agreed. If this team develops some chemistry (as they did in SLC and the WCofH), they could make some noise. I think Brett Hull said, after Germany lost to the US in SLC, that the German team would be a good NHL team. As long as they beat the Swiss...

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
I hope so. I'm really looking forward to this game :jump: , should be a good one. And I want REVENGE ;)
Looking at the Swiss team it's close, it'll depend on which team develops the better chemistry and I think that's an advantage for the Swiss... on the other hand we have more than one actual NHL skater, so who knows? :)

rbeeler

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think, with Kolzig in net, they have a reasonable shot at beating the Swiss.

Also, I am somewhat impressed with the defense the Germans have. Three current NHL'ers, one former and hopefully one future NHL'er (Sulzer). Schubert, Ehrhoff and Seidenberg have NHL, WC and Olympic experience. S. Goc has played in the NHL and WC, and Schauer, Sulzer and Renz have played in the WC's.

My only concern is the lack of scoring. The Germans have a knack for developing brick hands recently at International Tournaments (except for their trashing of Slovenia last year). It would be nice to see the DEL'ers (Kreutzer, Lewandowski and Kathan) step up their game and take some of the pressure off of Hecht, Sturm and Marcel Goc.

So what will the lines look like?

My take:

Hecht-Goc-Sturm
Although they may leverage their NHL talent like in past tournaments, you can't argue with having a line this talented.

Kreutzer-Ustorf-Kathan
Good two-way line with the ability to punch in goals here and there. I was especially impressed with Kreutzer and Ustorf at the World Cup.

Lewandowski-Hackert-Benda
It seems as though Hackert has transitioned back to the DEL nicely after his AHL debacle. This line is something of a wild card. Teams may focus on the first two lines, but these three have enough talent to make things interesting.

Martinec-Fical-Barta
I'll admit, I would rather have seen homegrown talent instead of Fical (Ullmann, Boos or Morczinietz), but if these guys are solid defensively, I'm fine with this line.

Seidenberg-Sasha Goc
Two solid two-way defensemen

Ehrhoff-Schubert
See above, perhaps more talent. Just hope they are able to cover each other on rushes.

Kopitz-Sulzer
I am very interested to see what Sulzer can do against the worlds best. He seems to be having a breakthrough year in the DEL.

Kolzig
Greiss
Mueller

Probably the best team Germany has had in years, IMO

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
rbeeler said:
I think, with Kolzig in net, they have a reasonable shot at beating the Swiss.

Also, I am somewhat impressed with the defense the Germans have. Three current NHL'ers, one former and hopefully one future NHL'er (Sulzer). Schubert, Ehrhoff and Seidenberg have NHL, WC and Olympic experience. S. Goc has played in the NHL and WC, and Schauer, Sulzer and Renz have played in the WC's.

My only concern is the lack of scoring. The Germans have a knack for developing brick hands recently at International Tournaments (except for their trashing of Slovenia last year). It would be nice to see the DEL'ers (Kreutzer, Lewandowski and Kathan) step up their game and take some of the pressure off of Hecht, Sturm and Marcel Goc.

So what will the lines look like?

My take:

Hecht-Goc-Sturm
Although they may leverage their NHL talent like in past tournaments, you can't argue with having a line this talented.

Kreutzer-Ustorf-Kathan
Good two-way line with the ability to punch in goals here and there. I was especially impressed with Kreutzer and Ustorf at the World Cup.

Lewandowski-Hackert-Benda
It seems as though Hackert has transitioned back to the DEL nicely after his AHL debacle. This line is something of a wild card. Teams may focus on the first two lines, but these three have enough talent to make things interesting.

Martinec-Fical-Barta
I'll admit, I would rather have seen homegrown talent instead of Fical (Ullmann, Boos or Morczinietz), but if these guys are solid defensively, I'm fine with this line.

Seidenberg-Sasha Goc
Two solid two-way defensemen

Ehrhoff-Schubert
See above, perhaps more talent. Just hope they are able to cover each other on rushes.

Kopitz-Sulzer
I am very interested to see what Sulzer can do against the worlds best. He seems to be having a breakthrough year in the DEL.

Kolzig
Greiss
Mueller

Probably the best team Germany has had in years, IMO

The same lines as I thought about, the only difference is that I took Müller as backup G. Now, let's wait and see what Krupp's lines will look like :yo:

Claypool_*

Riddarn said:
While far from as impressive as the names on any of the Big 7 teams, this is a team that could cause problems for anybody.

Germany always plays tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->