DEL: German Refs

Herman the German

Jun 30, 2009
Watching the World Championships, I have noticed there is a ref from the DEL calling games. In this tournament he seems to have lost his arrogance and showmanship which he likes to strut during DEL games. My opinion, all German refs should be watching closely at the international level to learn what refereeing is really like. It's about the players and not the refs. A good ref is one who has not been noticed until the game is over and the question is asked, who was the ref? He or she called a good game?
One more thing.(ohne uns geht nichts) Tells it all. Arrogance pure.:naughty:
Ohne fans geht nichts Meine Damen und Herren. Let us not forget.:shakehead

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Watching the World Championships, I have noticed there is a ref from the DEL calling games. In this tournament he seems to have lost his arrogance and showmanship which he likes to strut during DEL games. My opinion, all German refs should be watching closely at the international level to learn what refereeing is really like. It's about the players and not the refs. A good ref is one who has not been noticed until the game is over and the question is asked, who was the ref? He or she called a good game?
One more thing.(ohne uns geht nichts) Tells it all. Arrogance pure.:naughty:
Ohne fans geht nichts Meine Damen und Herren. Let us not forget.:shakehead

The last thing any German ref should do is take a page from this tournament. The refs were hideous throughout, with no line whatsoever. Clear as a day penalties didn't get called, while things that didn't warrant a penalty somehow got one.

The amount of stick-work that was let go to this point is a complete joke. That's not how you call a hockey game, as it punishes the good players and helps those who cheat.

Quite frankly, I've never seen any supposed arrogance by referees in the DEL that didn't exist in the same capacity with international refs.

Beyond that, a good ref is a ref who makes the right calls. It doesn't matter one bit how he gets there.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
What has struck me over the past few years with german refs is that they all seem to have come through the Rick Looker school of DEL reffing...
And some refs took that style more to heart than others. Willie Schimm for example was a ref who wouldnt know what the words consistency and clear line would mean even if the answer bit him in the lower backside portion of his body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad