German Prospects for the NHL Draft

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the people who watch more German hockey than me, which plays are having decent seasons so far both in Euro and in NA?

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
Big boy, good bloodlines. Get him out of Germany and into Sweden or something.
The kid should consider switching to defense. Beeing 6'3 as a 14 year old he probably is gonna add at least another inch. I don't know how quick his hands are but even if he isn't smooth enougth to become an elite level forward, with that size and good puck moving ability(let s hope he inherited that) he could become an elite level blue liner. Assuming he likes to use his physical strength in his game and his size translates into a heavy slapshot.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
You talking about a kid you never seen. His name and his height are a heavy weight for him. And notice he is not his father. Without the name Hecht he would not be in an elite-programm. He is far away from his fathers skills. I tell you this for one reason: Let him only play hockey! His way is heavy enough.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
After the season for the 2002 vintage came to an end some time ago, it`s time for my ranking of the top talents of the past season in this vintage:

Goalies:
1. Bugl, Florian - Red Bull Salzburg
2. Tiefensee, Arno - EC Bad Tölz
3. Schunda, Marinus - Star Bulls Rosenheim

Defender:
1. Glötzl, Maximilian - Kölner EC
2. Martinovic, Jimmy - Kölner EC
3. Menner, Maximilian - Red Bull Salzburg

Forward:
1. Reichel, Lukas - Starbulls Rosenheim
2. Stützle, Tim - Jungadler Mannheim
3. Peterka, John Jason - Red Bull Salzburg

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Some interesting young players have changed teams for the upcoming season (this is not a complete list):

Alexander Dersch (Landshut -> Düsseldorf)
Thomas Reichel and Lukas Reichel (Rosenheim -> Berlin)
Tim Wohlgemuth (Kaufbeuren -> Ingolstadt)
Tom-Eric Bappert (Saginaw -> Iserlohn)
Mick Köhler (Omaha -> Köln)
Niklas Postel (Salzburg -> Krefeld)
Janik Möser (Ohio State -> Mannheim)
Markus Eisenschmid (Laval -> Mannheim)
Samuel Soramies (Salzburg -> Mannheim)
Julian Kornelli (Bad Tölz -> Schwenningen)
Luca Gläser (Bayreuth -> Nürnberg)
Max Kislinger (Flint -> Nürnberg)
Mirko Davi (Bad Tölz -> Wolfsburg)
Valentin Busch (Bayreuth -> Wolfsburg)
Eric Valentin (Frankfurt -> Wolfsburg)

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So this is how the junior leagues in Germany will be set up for the 18/19 season:

The DNL is now a U20 league (U19 last season), and is divided in 3 divisions.
Division I consists of the top 8 teams that will play each other 5 times giving each team 35 games. The top 2 teams after those 35 games advance directly to the semifinals. The teams finishing 3 to 6 will play Best-of-3 series to determine the other two semifinalists. The semifinals and finals will also be played Best-of-3.
The bottom two teams will play a single round robin against the top two teams from Division II to determine who will be playing in Division I next season.

There will be 10 teams in Division II playing each other 4 times (36 games for each team). As described above the top two teams get a chance to play for promotion to Division I for next season. The teams finishing 3 through 6 remain in Division II for next season while the teams placing from 7 to 10 will be playing a relegation round with two teams from Division III which is divided into two conferences (North and South). The winners of the respective conference qualify for this promotion/relegation round. The 6 teams in this round will be divided into two 3-team groups that play each other in a single round robin. The winner of each group qualifies for Division II in 19/20 while the other 4 teams play in Division III. I guess that means there will be only 8 teams in Division II in 19/20.

As mentioned above Division III is divided in a North- and a South-Conference. There will be 6 teams in the North Conference, playing each other 6 times (30 games for each team) and 8 teams in the South Conference playing each other 5 times (35 games for each team). Only after the conclusion of the promotion/relegation round with Division II, it will be determined how many teams of each conference will be relegated from Division III into the lower leagues.

These are the teams in each Division:

Division I:
Jungadler Mannheim
Eisbären Juniors Berlin
Kölner EC Die Haie
Düsseldorfer EG
EC Bad Tölz
Augsburger EV
EV Landshut
EV Regensburg

Division II:
Krefelder EV 81
ESC Dresden
Starbulls Rosenheim
Iserlohner EC
ERC Ingolstadt
Schwenninger ERC
SC Riessersee
EV Füssen
ESV Kaufbeuren
ES Weißwasser

Division III-North:
Rote Teufel Bad Nauheim
ESV 03 Chemnitz
ESC Moskitos Essen
EJ Kassel
EHC Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg
Löwen Frankfurt

Division III-South:
SC Bietigheim-Bissingen
Deggendorfer SC
EV Ravensburg
Mannheimer ERC
EC Peiting
EHC 80 Nürnberg
HC Landsberg
Heilbronner EC

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The Schüler Bundesliga is now a U17 league (U16 last season), and is made up of 2 divisions.

Division I is divided into a North Conference with 8 teams that will play each other 4 times (28 games for each team) and a South Conference with 10 teams that will play each other 3 times (27 games for each team). The top 3 finishers from each conference will play a 6 team “Meisterrunde” (10 games for each team) and automatically qualify for the championship tournament.
The other teams from each conference remain within their respective conference and play a qualification round. The 5 teams from the North Conference play each other 2 times (8 games) and the 7 teams from the South Conference play each other once (6 games).

At the end of this qualification round the top ranked team from each conference joins the 6 teams from the “Meisterrunde” in the championship tournament. The last ranked team from each conference will play a two-leg (home and away) relegation against the top teams from the respective conferences of Division II.

Division II is also divided in a North- and a South Conference. Both conferences consist of 8 teams that play each other 5 times (35 games for each team). The teams finishing first in their respective conference will play for promotion as described above.
The teams finishing last in their respective conference will play a relegation round with the qualifying teams from the lower leagues.

These are the teams in each Division:

Division I-North:

Kölner EC Die Haie
Eisbären Juniors Berlin
Düsseldorfer EG
Krefelder EV 81
ESC Dresden
ETC Crimmitschau
Iserlohner EC
ES Weißwasser

Division I-South:

Jungadler Mannheim
ESV Kaufbeuren
Starbulls Rosenheim
EC Bad Tölz
ERC Ingolstadt
EV Landshut
EV Regensburg
SC Bietigheim-Bissingen
EV Füssen
Schwenninger ERC

Division II-North:

EHC Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg
EV Duisburg
Hamburger SV
EHC Erfurt
EJ Kassel
EC Hannover Indians
ECC Preussen Berlin
Rote Teufel Bad Nauheim

Division II-South:

EHC 80 Nürnberg
EV Ravensburg
1. EV Weiden
EHC München
Mannheimer ERC
Augsburger EV
EC Peiting
EHC Straubing

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Can any of you guys tell me what to expect from Alexander Dersch? He was selected into the Q picked by Charlottetown Islanders the same team as fellow countryman Nikita Alexandrov. GM Jim Hulton says Dersch will report is he a prospect to get excited about?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Can any of you guys tell me what to expect from Alexander Dersch? He was selected into the Q picked by Charlottetown Islanders the same team as fellow countryman Nikita Alexandrov. GM Jim Hulton says Dersch will report is he a prospect to get excited about?

Take this with a grain of salt since it's been a while since I have seen Dersch play, and I am still learning what to look for with hockey prospects.

From what I saw then, I would not expect him to wow you with amazing offensive plays, but he was very solid defensively where he consistently used his reach pretty well. I would have liked him to be more physical since he has the frame for it, but physicality is rarely seen in German junior hockey. As for the offensive side, he usually made safe simple plays to get the transition game going.
I can't really comment on his shot, because in the games I saw he didn't really get to use it, at least not as far as I remember.
He has shown some leadership quality in junior hockey and had just signed with a new team (Düsseldorf) in the DEL.

Overall, there is always a risk that he does not transition well, but just based on his play in Germany I think he is a better, albeit very different player than Leon Gawanke (Cape Breton) was at that same stage in his career.

Hopefully someone with more recent viewings and more hockey knowledge can paint a more accurate picture for you.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Take this with a grain of salt since it's been a while since I have seen Dersch play, and I am still learning what to look for with hockey prospects.

From what I saw then, I would not expect him to wow you with amazing offensive plays, but he was very solid defensively where he consistently used his reach pretty well. I would have liked him to be more physical since he has the frame for it, but physicality is rarely seen in German junior hockey. As for the offensive side, he usually made safe simple plays to get the transition game going.
I can't really comment on his shot, because in the games I saw he didn't really get to use it, at least not as far as I remember.
He has shown some leadership quality in junior hockey and had just signed with a new team (Düsseldorf) in the DEL.

Overall, there is always a risk that he does not transition well, but just based on his play in Germany I think he is a better, albeit very different player than Leon Gawanke (Cape Breton) was at that same stage in his career.

Hopefully someone with more recent viewings and more hockey knowledge can paint a more accurate picture for you.

This is quite accurate. Defensive player with limited offensive upside that I'd like to compete harder for the type of player he is. Don't think he'll make much of an impact to be honest, but we'll see.
Also surprised the Islanders are so sure about him reporting because he just signed his pro deal in Germany and it seemed like he was staying. But I heard from various CHL GMs asking about him, so it seems like his agent was actively offering him to teams and he'll go over.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Any comment on Filip Reisnecker?
Selected in the import draft, very good numbers in the DNL as a late 01 born. According to EP he moved from the Czech Republic to Germany two years ago, Elite also shows he represented Germany in the U16s? I saw a picture of him in Czech national team jersey as well though, so not sure what to make of it.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
@Maverick41

I missed one player in your 2004-list:
Moritz Elias at eliteprospects.com

He is the younger brother of Florian Elias and the greatest talent in this vintage.

I am currently working on updating my lists, and create a template for myself that will allow me to get back to regular updates throughout the upcoming season.
He will defiinitely be on that list for next season.
And if you have any other players you would like me to include, let me know. I appreciate any input.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Thanks a lot.
Some of them, particularly the goalies, I already have on my lists for the big update (some time in Augsut). Most of the others were on my radar, but I had not made up my mind yet. But there are also a couple that I was totally unaware of. Those are the ones that intrigue me the most. I really appreciate the assist.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Do not expect any future NHL drafts, but those are not some others on your list either. ;)
Nevertheless, one should keep an eye on them, because nobody can predict the development between 16 and 18 years to 100%.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Do not expect any future NHL drafts, but those are not some others on your list either. ;)
Nevertheless, one should keep an eye on them, because nobody can predict the development between 16 and 18 years to 100%.

I won't. If any of them turn into decent DEL players or maybe even become players for the national team would be great. But I am aware that even some of the best talents at this age may not make it that far, much less to the NHL.

The rare NHL level prospects, like Draisaitl, Rieder, Kahun, Bokk are easy to spot, for the most part, but identifying the ones on the level below is really difficult especially 3 or 4 years in advance. But it's fun to try.
For the last 2 years I have started keeping a list of even younger players (U14), based mostly on statistics (although they are unrealiable), that I think might turn into decent prospects at least. This is just for fun, and it's still early even for the very first players I put on that list (b. 2003), but so far it seems to confirm that this just a lottery. But again it's just for fun and for the joy if I get that one player right. Although I would probably get similar or better results if I just picked the names randomly from the rosters. :laugh:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I'm all in your opinion. We can bet who will be the next star in the 2002 or younger years. ;)

I would probably lose any bet of that sort, but for 2002 I am pretty confident that Tim Stützle can turn into something special.
For 2003 I have like Valentino Weißgerber for a couple of years and I hope he continues to develop well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad