German Players in North America

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
He just couldn't prove himself in the AHL and was even demoted to the ECHL for a while in 2014-15. He may have been named top defenceman in the DEL this year, but watching him in the world championship, he definitely didn't look like a guy with NHL upside. What stood out the most to me there were his terribly inaccurate breakout passes.

I don't think that's what actually happened. From what I remember, he was playing an important role in Worcester by the end of 2013/14 and starting of in 14/15. Then he got injured, and for some reason was never used in full capacity again. He basically turned from 1st pairing to 6th/7th D for no apparent reason. Towards the end of the season, he asked to be demoted to the ECHL so he could play more again.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Quite the surprising day.

Bokk was obviously the top prospect, but I was told he won't report because of his pro contract with Cologne.
Eckl was another interesting target, but he disappointed in every one of my viewings last season.
Valenti has been a target for at least three years around the CHL, so no surprise to see him picked. That said, he was extremely inconsistent last season, and I did not think he would be ready this year.
Köhler is a great player, just surprised he was picked as a 19-year-old. Can play pro in Cologne or Frankfurt this season. If he has any chance of playing in Cologne, I doubt he'll be allowed to report (same as Bokk). Not sure what Cologne's plans are, though.
Alexandrov was a huge surprise as well. Great numbers, but played in the weaker division all year long.
Bappert was definitely not on my radar at all very surprised about that one.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the link!

It's nice to be a german hockey fan these days. They definately made some steps since the early 2000s. I also like how Marco Sturm handles the national team. Definately the right guy for this job. :handclap: The public needs someone they might know so this sport gets at least some attention in the media (although it's still not nearly enough, way to much football here)...

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Looks like Alexandrov will be reporting to Charlottetown, at least according to their Coach/GM.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports...grab-german-scorer-to-replenish-the-offe.html

[...]
But as is sometimes typical of overseas players, there was some trepidation as to whether Alexandrov would report if drafted. However, by Wednesday morning the Germans agent said all was a go and Alexandrov would be in camp in August.

We have full clearance that hes going to report, said Hulton.

[...]

Random rant:
I do not know where these issues come from, but it annoys me to no end that you cannot use umlaute, quotation marks, apostrophes, etc. anymore because they are not going to be displayed correctly.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Quite the surprising day.

Eckl was another interesting target, but he disappointed in every one of my viewings last season.

I really liked him in my viewings, third best German this year behind Ugbekile and Bokk.

Random rant:
I do not know where these issues come from, but it annoys me to no end that you cannot use umlaute, quotation marks, apostrophes, etc. anymore because they are not going to be displayed correctly.

Having the exact same problem.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Let's hope that Bokk will be able to go to NA... It's sad to say but prospects that interesting shouldn't be forced to stay in this still pretty bad german hockey development system.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Anyone know if any of the german prospects had a good development camp?

I've heard that Tiffels stood out in a good way, but that should be expected since he was a bit older than many of the other players at camp. The main camp will be interesting.

Gawanke apparently did alright in the Jets camp. I have seen parts of their scrimmage and will take a look at the whole thing this weekend.
Gawanke had definitely one assist during that game (his shot from the blueline was deflected into the goal) and from what I have seen so far he did ok.
Nico Sturm who was also invited to the Jets camp also showed some potential, although I don't think he stood out enough to be signed by a NHL team.

I haven't heard anything about the others.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I will make a few changes to the OP this upcoming season.
It will include more information, for those players/leagues where it's available, like PP goals, SH goals, secondary assists, etc.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Sebastian Streu has signed with Kootenay Ice (WHL).
I don't think he counts as an import, but I'm not sure.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Stachowiak with 5 Points (2g + 3a) in 4 games. Decent start for him!

I wonder if he still wants that german passport now that he is already overseas!?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Stachowiak with 5 Points (2g + 3a) in 4 games. Decent start for him!

His first assist was kind of random, but the second one was really nice. I remember I wasn't sure about his hockey sense in the beginning but as I watched him more often, I concluded he just did a lot on his own because his linemates were so much slower and weaker. Playing with Stützle and Fleischer in Mannheim this season and now in CI, he's confirming that. Really smart player with a high skill level and strong skating.

I wonder if he still wants that german passport now that he is already overseas!?

If he can, he definitely should, because I can see him becoming a player for the German men's team eventually, and that's definitely better for him than playing in a smaller hockey country like Poland.

That said, I have no clue how becoming a German citizen works, and I'm not sure if he maybe gave that up by leaving Germany? Normally, I'd believe his registered place of residence is still in Germany and going to the USHL is more like a school exchange rather than actually moving to another country. But since he lived in the Jungadler academy in Mannheim, that's probably the same as going to the US, with his actual country of residence still being Poland?
Enough speculation – I have no idea. :P

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Not sure that I like that, I think Germans and other Europeans need to understand how good the Swede's system is in regards to level of play, scouting, and development. Not all answers or development can be by going overseas into North America. Bokk is a perfect example of a player who decided to go to Sweden for development and is getting rewarded.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Not sure that I like that, I think Germans and other Europeans need to understand how good the Swede's system is in regards to level of play, scouting, and development. Not all answers or development can be by going overseas into North America. Bokk is a perfect example of a player who decided to go to Sweden for development and is getting rewarded.
Meh. The NCAA is great for young players. Gets you a college education in case hockey doesn't work out or for after an active hockey career. Also has a student-friendly schedule with enough time for a life outside of hockey. I think it's great.

But who knows if he's going. Still has two years to decide.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

It's still far too early to call Bokk a success or use him as an example. Drasaitl developed fine as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad