German Players in North America

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I should've included Ratmann as a honorable mention, I like him as well.

My thought on why Reichel is so highly rated by some, is because of how NHL scouts usually like there players. With Eder last year he was good all around, and NHL teams usually look for a single amazing skill in a category (like shooting). That's why I believe he got snubbed. Reichel happens to posses excellent passing, and good size. I think that he is looked at as a project that could turn into something special.

I liked Gawanke a lot in the DNL finals with Berlin, he looked fantastic. I don't know how well he will adapt to the N.A game. I have no doubt that if he develops that he can be real special player.

Beck was real shot in the dark, but I do think he has a better chance of being drafted in this years draft then Ratmann.

Looks to be a fun year for Germans, I think all of these players on the list have a chance at the Draft. Hopefully they preform well, with there respective teams. Gawanke and Schiemenz will be in action tonight as the CHL season starts. :yo:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I should've included Ratmann as a honorable mention, I like him as well.

My thought on why Reichel is so highly rated by some, is because of how NHL scouts usually like there players. With Eder last year he was good all around, and NHL teams usually look for a single amazing skill in a category (like shooting). That's why I believe he got snubbed. Reichel happens to posses excellent passing, and good size. I think that he is looked at as a project that could turn into something special.

I liked Gawanke a lot in the DNL finals with Berlin, he looked fantastic. I don't know how well he will adapt to the N.A game. I have no doubt that if he develops that he can be real special player.

Beck was real shot in the dark, but I do think he has a better chance of being drafted in this years draft then Ratmann.

Looks to be a fun year for Germans, I think all of these players on the list have a chance at the Draft. Hopefully they preform well, with there respective teams. Gawanke and Schiemenz will be in action tonight as the CHL season starts. :yo:

If you rank them by likelyhood of being drafted I agree with Beck being in the Top5. He is exactly the kind of huge goalie with potential that a team might like in a late round.

I was thinking more along the line of player quality and there I have the others higher.

I believe we will see a regular increase in players with a shot at being drafted albeit in later rounds only. Hopefully guys like Valenti or Bokk can develop well enough to be selected a bit earlier, but at the moment I don't see any clear cut standouts on the horizon like Rieder or Draisaitl were.

EDIT: According to a post on another forum Leon Gawanke had to be helped down the tunnel late in the game. But no word if he's injured yet, as far as I can tell. Until then he played pretty well apparently.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I'd like to add Benjamin Kosianski to the list, I've been keeping an eye on him for a while.

He now plays for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres.

link

He also has a catalog of videos from him playing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yDgBO6bFqzAqzZFxCdReg

Thanks for making me aware of him. I have added him to the list.
Do you have any information regarding the league he is playing in? I often have a difficult time accurately assessing the quality of these junior leagues in the US and Canada.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
It's Thursday and I'm bored so I'll do a pre-season top 5 for Germans in 2017 NHL draft.

1. Cedric Schiemenz

I saw his stats last year, he put up a lot of points for Red Bull Salzburg U-18, but with no way in seeing him actually play I just kept an eye on him. Then he got drafted this summer by the Kitchener Rangers the same team that drafted fellow German Tobias Rieder. He came into preseason and he tore it up with Kitchener. Racking up 7 points in 4 games. I know it's only preseason however, he showed off that he is really good at skating and very fast. He is crafty when it comes to his play making abilities and sees the ice very well. The problem is he is relatively small weighing only at 160 at 5'11. He has generated some hype from Brock Otten and Brenden Ross of TheScout.ca. If he has a good season he could easily be drafted.

2. Lean Bergmann

He is a fast RW for the Sioux Falls Stampede, with a bit of skill, and knows how to grind the net. Reminded me a lot of Tobias Rieder when I watched him play (less defensively gifted). He hasn't been really noticed by anyone yet, which is possibly because he hasn't been playing for the German international team. He put up 12 points in 28 games last season in the USHL, and might surprise a few this year by sneaking into the draft.

3. Thomas Reichel

I was tempted to put him at number 2 as for many he is the number #1 German prospect from Germany going into this draft. Reichel hasn't done his best so far in the DNL this year, but once he finds his form he could start racking up lots of points. He also chance to be called up to the Rosenheim team in the DEL 2. Reichel possesses great passing, and vision. He is also blessed that he is 6 foot 3 and has a large frame. Hopefully he can start to impress more in the DNL, and do great at the world juniors.

4. Benjamin Beck

The 6 ft 7 in Goalkeeper plays for Salzburg in Austria, and is committed to the University of Maine. While I've never seen him play, I think he could get a look with some scouts this year. Ben Bishop also went to the University of Maine and like Beck, they're both pretty tall. If he actually goes to Maine it very may well be the best for his development. I'd also like to mention 6'4" Wouter Peeters got drafted by the Blackhawks this year, and also played for Salzburg.

5. Leon Gawanke

Leon is great offensively and played fantastic in the DNL finals this year with Berlin. He moves the puck well and can run the power play. He was drafted over the summer by Cape Brenton of the Screaming Eagles. If he can adapt to the N.A. style of play he could have a good year. He head 2 assist in 2 games in the preseason with the screaming eagles.

Honorable Mentions: WOJCIECH STACHOWIAK, and Tobias Eder (OA)

Beck is the highest-rated German by NHL CSS as a "B" prospect.
Reichel "C", no others ranked.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am wondering if Germans should sort of stop coming to Canada. Most notably the CHL because the situation which I've noticed the last couple of years with the likes of Cedric Schiemenz and Jakob Mayenschein. Schiemenz is one example of a solid player who put up two points in his first 3-4 games and had a great preseason. Kitchener get all their returning players back and he's stuck on the bottom 6 with zero special team time. I understand you want to showcase yourself, but you aren't doing your development any good being behind the likes of Bracco, Mascherin, and Meireles for example. I just think Schiemenz would be better off developing in the SuperElit than his grinding minutes in the OHL. Same with Mayenschein, he decided to leave the OHL since he's better off having top 6 in Redbull instead of his 4th line role with the Otters.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
You're right, it's a shame Schiemenz is on the fourth line. He has too much skill to be placed down there. I've always wondered why not more Germans go to Sweden, seems like less of a burden then N.A. Staying in Germany doesn't seem to be good option, unless players are playing in the DEL or DEL2 they hardly get noticed. It's not all bad though, Gawanke is playing lots of minutes in the QMJHL, and most German players get a lot of ice time in the USHL.

Too me it all depends on the type of player, highly rated players like Valenti, Bokk, Eckl etc. should got the CHL. Players with a little less potential like Schiemenz should go to the USHL or Sweden where they can get a good amount of ice time and show of more of their skill.

Unrelated but Michaels, Sturm, and Tuomie have been playing very well in the NCAA.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
He good be quite the player, leads the WCHA in scoring. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets an NHL/AHL contract. Even if he doesn't get one he could be quite the player in the DEL.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Gawanke's team gets sweeped 4-0 in the playoffs. Ending the year for German 2017 prospects,

Might put out another top-5 list right before the draft, I'm thinking we'll see 1 maybe 2 people drafted this year. Excited for 2018 though, we could be seeing 2 high-end prospects coming through.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Gawanke's team gets sweeped 4-0 in the playoffs. Ending the year for German 2017 prospects,

Might put out another top-5 list right before the draft, I'm thinking we'll see 1 maybe 2 people drafted this year. Excited for 2018 though, we could be seeing 2 high-end prospects coming through.

I feel like there are probably two players who have chance, one who'd deserve it but isn't on anyone's radar and one who's ranked by Central Scouting but really hasn't done much to deserve getting drafted. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad