GThomasGreissDetroit Red WingsNHL88447:04232532303,0990,9%400004
GPhilippGrubauerSeattle KrakenNHL1212679:37363002643,1888,0%400017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
Hello Maverick...good to see you back for 2014-15. You do excellent work keeping us informed on German players. Any predictions for this season? A quick look at your list and I don't see the London Knights defenseman...Bender. Is he back in Germany?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hello Maverick...good to see you back for 2014-15. You do excellent work keeping us informed on German players. Any predictions for this season? A quick look at your list and I don't see the London Knights defenseman...Bender. Is he back in Germany?

Thx.

Yeah, Bender is back in Germany and played for Munich in the DEL yesterday.
It looks like he is going to be a regular on their team along with fellow OHL veteran Dominik Kahun. Although I think both are alos eligible to play for Salzburg's MHL team.

I expect a lot more points from Markus Eisenschmid and Maximilian Kammerer although the latter will need a really good start otherwise he could be out of Regina and maybe out of the WHL rather quickly.

Other than that I really don't know what to expect myself, which is why I am particularly excited about this new season. There are not a lot of new players who made the jump to Canada and the US this year, but there are several players who are at a critical point of their development (Noebels, Kühnhackl, Abeltshauser), and this season may decide at least for Kühnhackl and Noebels, if they remain legit NHL prospects, as their contracts expire, and they will have to be quite impressive to earn an extension with their respective teams.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Great work!

What do you think about Niko Selivanov? I actually loved seeing his dad play, he was one of the better players that ever played in Germany. Especially in the Oberliga he was obviously outstanding despite his age. How does Niko compare to him talent wise? I think his older son Dylan plays on my friend's team in Duisburg, he probably won't make it anywhere higher than that. But playing for Shattuck and being their best scorer on the AA team isn't too bad for Niko.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Great work!

What do you think about Niko Selivanov? I actually loved seeing his dad play, he was one of the better players that ever played in Germany. Especially in the Oberliga he was obviously outstanding despite his age. How does Niko compare to him talent wise? I think his older son Dylan plays on my friend's team in Duisburg, he probably won't make it anywhere higher than that. But playing for Shattuck and being their best scorer on the AA team isn't too bad for Niko.

I am really just a stats guy and I have never seen Niko play. There are a few leagues where I can draw at least some conclusions based on the players stats, but I have absolutely no idea how to assess Niko's performance. There are some indicators like leading his team in scoring while being one of the younger players on the team, that suggest he is doing pretty well, but I have no idea where he would rank compared to other prospects of the same age playing in North America or in Europe.

I have heard that Shattuck is a very good program, but I still lack data from other programs for a better assessment.

I saw his dad play a couple of times in his first season in Germany when he played a season for Frankfurt. He was really good, and if Niko has a bit of the talent, that his father or his grandfather (on his mother's side) had, then he should be pretty good.

KerbanHockey

Jan 22, 2014
Kammerer has played a quite good preseason so far for Regina. 6 points (3G/3A) in 6 games is not too bad. :)
By the way great job Maverick! :)

Last edited:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
lukas gärtner is back in germany. already played 2 games in DEL2 for frankfurt.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
lukas gärtner is back in germany. already played 2 games in DEL2 for frankfurt.

Thanks for the information. I had found out that Niklas Lahme had returned to play for Krefeld in the DNL but I couldn't find Gärtner anywhere, I must have missed him, because I didn't expect him the DEL 2.

Anybody know where Huba Sekesi will be playing this season?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks, I guess Kammerer will return to Germany unless another team picks him up which seems unlikely.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
As always, thank you a lot Maverick for showing all the stats over the season, it really helps keeping up with as many of the guys as possible.

I once asked for some help about the US junior system and the specific case of Niko Selivanov. So what kind of talent can somebody expect out of him without ever seeing him play.
One poster has written an amazing explanation of all important leagues below the famous once like the CHL/USHL. Might be an interesting read for you and other guys trying to follow the young German players.

I asked about the specific case of Niko Selivanov and what that guy wrote didn't sound too great, but Selivanov is now playing Midget Major AAA (U18) instead of Midget Minor AA (U16) and is one of the youngest guys on the team. However he is/was in both cases in the 2nd tier league, as he could now play in the Prep school league as well (which is the best at that age) and could have played in Minor Midget AAA (called U16 league) last season.

Anyway here is the link to the thread:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1714947&highlight=

KerbanHockey

Jan 22, 2014
Well, the only thing you can do is to compare the stats from the Schüler Bundesliga from Selivanov with another players stats. For example Selivanov collected 29 pionts in 29 games as a 14 year old, compared to Draisaitls stats, who had 103 points in 26 games you can imagine that he`s maybe not that good, but we will see. :)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Well, the only thing you can do is to compare the stats from the Schüler Bundesliga from Selivanov with another players stats. For example Selivanov collected 29 pionts in 29 games as a 14 year old, compared to Draisaitls stats, who had 103 points in 26 games you can imagine that he`s maybe not that good, but we will see. :)

you shouldn't even think about comparing stats from german youth leagues. linesmates and especially the quality of opponents is a huge factor in german youth leagues. draisaitl and selivanov didn't really play in the same league.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
you shouldn't even think about comparing stats from german youth leagues. linesmates and especially the quality of opponents is a huge factor in german youth leagues. draisaitl and selivanov didn't really play in the same league.

I agree, Niko played in a more evenly matched league and did not have anyone like Dominik Kahun, who outscored Draisaitl btw, for a linemate.
Also, it is not really fair to compare anyone to Leon since he is really a one of a kind prospect for German hockey.

I will be following the development of Niko, statistically that is, with much interest. Because I am very curious how it turns out for him.
I am also very interested in how guys like Tiffels and Möser will do, taking the college route. Tuomie and Michaelis have also already commited themselves to colleges for next season. I wonder if that's going to become a more common thing for German prospects.

KerbanHockey

Jan 22, 2014
There might be a new big talent coming up. Nino Kinder from Preussen Berlin (Schüler Bundesliga) is playing a solid season so far, collecting 17 points (10g-7a) in 5 games as an early 2001. I know, no one can predict anything yet but he's been doing great this season so far.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
There might be a new big talent coming up. Nino Kinder from Preussen Berlin (Schüler Bundesliga) is playing a solid season so far, collecting 17 points (10g-7a) in 5 games as an early 2001. I know, no one can predict anything yet but he's been doing great this season so far.

He was pretty good last year too, but he is playing in the "Schüler Bundesliga Nord B",
which is pretty much the second tier of this league. All the better teams play in the A group. It is always very difficult to judge the output of a player in that group.
A few years ago Dennis Arnold put up ridiculous numbers for Frankfurt, but when he moved to Cologne and played in the DNL his numbers became a lot less spectacular.

Nino will probably have to make that same move, because he will need to play at the highest level, and he cannot do that for his current team.
The same might be true for Yannik Valenti.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
The same might be true for Yannik Valenti.

yannik should be in his last year with kassel. mannheim likely for next year. and yannik is a part of the DNL2 team, so he's playing kids up to 5y older than him regularly. that is a big plus, because in schueler BL nord B he's clearly facing no real competition.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
yannik should be in his last year with kassel. mannheim likely for next year. and yannik is a part of the DNL2 team, so he's playing kids up to 5y older than him regularly. that is a big plus, because in schueler BL nord B he's clearly facing no real competition.

That is true. He had 6 goals and 2 assists in his one game at that level this year, and is already among the best scorers of the DNL 2 team.
I believe Grigory Saakyan is the only player in the DNL 2 who is younger (about a month) than Valenti and sees regular ice time.

But I'm still cautious, since I haven't seen him play, and can only judge him by his stats I am not going to annoint him the next Rieder or Draisaitl or whatever, just yet. And I guess neither are you. ;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
But I'm still cautious, since I haven't seen him play, and can only judge him by his stats I am not going to annoint him the next Rieder or Draisaitl or whatever, just yet. And I guess neither are you. ;)

i see him regularly and have so the last years, but i would never call anyone "the nex xx", simply because so much can happen. he's the best prospect from kassel for as long as i can remember, but that obviously is not really tough. ;)
if i compare him to other players of his agegroup, he's among the best for sure, but being among the best of your age group in germany also doesn't mean much. a lot of promising young germans didn't develop as hoped. some didn't even become DELers.

so i guess after all we have to wait and see. usually the first year in DNL is good to judge players a bit better and yannik is 2 years away from being a DNLer (by age).

KerbanHockey

Jan 22, 2014
I really don't understand why Noebels always his those ups and downs. Of course he had'nt played his best season last year but at the WC he was the best german player in my opinion. I hope he will explode in the ECHL and then have a good season at Lehigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->