German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
2-0. Nice rebound under Bosz. Defend looked a lot more solid. Offensive was okay, and really I would expect him to only have addressed the defence in two days. Getting that win going into the break (plus a couple more games) with new coach should mentally help the team a ton.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Jupp started Tolisso and Vidal both and Rudy as well plus no Kimmich so then he had to sub off Vidal at half-time and bring in James for the creativity.

I know Koln are meh but they don't actually play like a last place team and you do need creativity in the team especially with the decline of Robbery.

Anyways, Bayer have moved into that 4th CL spot. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they overtake Schalke in the 2nd half (Dortmund should overtake both). They rested Havertz for most of the game and subbed out Bailey early too.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
4 points separate 2nd and 8th place. Aside from the best and the worst teams, this league is stupidly even.

Put differently, other than Köln at the bottom and Bayern at the top, there are no more than 2 points separating any direct neighbours in the table. And there are only two cases of that even.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The problem is that it's more a reflection of a lack of very good teams this year. Just look at the results in Europe again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The problem is that it's more a reflection of a lack of very good teams this year. Just look at the results in Europe again.
Let's look at those european results. Bosz destroyed BVB's campaign; naivety ruined Leipzig & Hoffenheim's; Hertha are Hertha; and Koln are the worst team in the league. So what exactly are we supposed to take from those results that tells us anything about the actually quality of any of those teams other than Hertha? And we already knew what Hertha was.

You can't bring something up as an argument for your point and then not actually analyze the thing you brought up to make sure it actually has any connection to the point you are trying to make.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Forget all the excuses.

Dortmund failed
Leipzig failed
Hoffenheim failed
Hertha failed
Koln failed

In the league no team is actually playing very good on top apart from Bayern.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's still early. Often those teams 2-6 don't distinguish themselves until the second half of the domestic season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's kind of a **** league aside from Bayern and one other team that rotates every couple of years. It's been that way since I can remember (i.e. the 80s).
When I watched a BMG team that hasn't finished top two in eons outplay the likes of Barca & Citeh in the CL, I have a tough time agreeing with that *shrug*
Forget all the excuses.

Dortmund failed
Leipzig failed
Hoffenheim failed
Hertha failed
Koln failed

In the league no team is actually playing very good on top apart from Bayern.
"let's talk about X"
"ok so what about this aspect of X?"
"...stop talking about X"

Why even bother responding to you anymore if you want to bring something up but then don't actually want to talk about it?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
All I want for christmas is three more years of top-class Raffael and for Eggestein/Kühn to study from him < 3

Even with Oxford in midfield not going too well and Hecking's desire to sit deep ceding the initiative to HSV; Raffa's brilliance decides this final match before the winter break for the small team from just outside Köln.

Cuisance almost scored a beauty earlier as well. A real cracker cutting onto his left from the right side.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
All I want for christmas is three more years of top-class Raffael and for Eggestein/Kühn to study from him < 3

Even with Oxford in midfield not going too well and Hecking's desire to sit deep ceding the initiative to HSV; Raffa's brilliance decides this final match before the winter break for the small team from just outside Köln.

Cuisance almost scored a beauty earlier as well. A real cracker cutting onto his left from the right side.

This is so cute. Merry christmas cgf. :D

BMG didn't play well tonight, but thank god HSV couldn't do more than the equalizer.They have 15 points now, Hannover has 22. That makes me confident to see another Bundesliga season after this one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BMG got a lead and sat back, they never play well when they do this unless they are playing against Bayern...even though having Oxford in place of Zakaria or Kramer undermined their ability to play in possession...but this could've been addressed by playing Grifo down the middle & using a back 3:

Raffa - Stindl
Hazard
Wendt - Cuisance - Grifo - Herrmann
Veste - Ginter - Elvedi
Sommer​

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When I watched a BMG team that hasn't finished top two in eons outplay the likes of Barca & Citeh in the CL, I have a tough time agreeing with that *shrug*

There's always been outlier performances from German teams in Europe. Anyone remember Karlsruhe's 7-0 vs Valencia? And of course I was simplifying things a bit to make a point. There were some years for sure where it wasn't so clear who was no.2, and some years where 1/2/3/4 weren't that far apart, but overall the point stands. A Bayern rival emerges and then fades as they sell the players that made them Bayern rivals and they can't replace them with players of equal quality. I think there was at least temporarily justified hope that Dortmund could break this trend, but at the moment it sure looks like they've gone that way too. At least - unlike Werder Bremen - their commercial footing should be solid enough to prevent a free fall into the relegation zone no matter what nonsense Aki Watzke and Michael Zorc come up with.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's always been outlier performances from German teams in Europe. Anyone remember Karlsruhe's 7-0 vs Valencia? And of course I was simplifying things a bit to make a point. There were some years for sure where it wasn't so clear who was no.2, and some years where 1/2/3/4 weren't that far apart, but overall the point stands. A Bayern rival emerges and then fades as they sell the players that made them Bayern rivals and they can't replace them with players of equal quality. I think there was at least temporarily justified hope that Dortmund could break this trend, but at the moment it sure looks like they've gone that way too. At least - unlike Werder Bremen - their commercial footing should be solid enough to prevent a free fall into the relegation zone no matter what nonsense Aki Watzke and Michael Zorc come up with.

BMG pretty consistently put in impressive performances in the CL against the giants. Leverkusen were the Arsenal of Germany for years. And before they fell out Schalke had some nice runs. Sure they're not pushing Bayern, but I frankly couldn't care less about that. Bayern are a different scale of team and Leipzig are the only chance of that changing any time soon. So what? Gladbach still play beautiful football, Nagelsmann is still fascinating, Leipzig & Dortmund have fun & exciting rosters (even if BVB haven't played interesting football in a minute), Werder are still a fun team to watch, etc. The title race hasn't been this league's selling point during many periods of its history. Just because Gladbach, Koln, Hamburg nor Werder are winning titles here & there doesn't change what makes this league interesting.

Reactions: 555Upstairs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->