George McPhee II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
You're underselling that President's Trophy team. That was an awesome team. And the Trophy is meaningful.

His work since then is a dumpster fire, however.

From a regular season perspective it does mean something. when you can't get beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs, it's irrelevant. I agree the team has declined significantly since then.

Oates and his righty/lefty......

I'll start by saying Im not a fan of it but......seems like many here are acting like this is some new thing.....I know when I started watching/playing that was pretty much the standard....A guy that played his off-side was not typical.....or at least thats how i recall it. Again...I dont buy into it and things evolve.....but this isnt something "new"...its actually more an old school thing IMO

Oates' issue is the same thing Boudreau had as a newer coach. Refusing to budge, modify or change when it's not working. Right now his refusal to change that hard and fast rule for him is chasing a decent winger and a potential top 4 dman out of our system. That type of narrow minded coaching doesn't go far and gets tuned out when things aren't going well.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Oates' issue is the same thing Boudreau had as a newer coach. Refusing to budge, modify or change when it's not working. Right now his refusal to change that hard and fast rule for him is chasing a decent winger and a potential top 4 dman out of our system. That type of narrow minded coaching doesn't go far and gets tuned out when things aren't going well.

Well Ive always been of the opinion that good coaches (or great ones anyway) can develop a system around the talent they have....which seems opposite from what pro sports has become. Now it seems that a guy has a system, regardless of sport, and needs the right players for that system

in any case....barring a serious playoff run I can see this being the end of the GMGM era. Im not nearly as hard on his as others and looked at individually each season can be somewhat explained away.....there are enough of them (seasons) at this point to just say, time for a different set of eyes

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
From a regular season perspective it does mean something. when you can't get beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs, it's irrelevant. I agree the team has declined significantly since then.

Disagree about the President's Trophy being irrelevent. It's a significant accomplishment regardless of the playoff performance.

And comparing Oates to Boudreau is a disservice to Boudreau.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Disagree about the President's Trophy being irrelevent. It's a significant accomplishment regardless of the playoff performance.

And comparing Oates to Boudreau is a disservice to Boudreau.

Maybe it's just that the novelty of having won it has worn off.

The bottom line is we all want a cup. Division banners and the presidents trophy is nice but we have those. Nothing matters but a Stanley cup. I have no belief that this gm can get us one.

Oates suffers from the same thing BB did. He is not very good at changes on the fly at this stage of their coaching career so the comparison is valid in that regard.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oates and his righty/lefty......

I'll start by saying Im not a fan of it but......seems like many here are acting like this is some new thing.....I know when I started watching/playing that was pretty much the standard....A guy that played his off-side was not typical.....or at least thats how i recall it. Again...I dont buy into it and things evolve.....but this isnt something "new"...its actually more an old school thing IMO

I do to think that's the point. The fact that the "handed ness" takes precedence over all else is the problem. For someone that is supposed to be so "Cerebral", it smacks of stubborn ignorance. It's about maximizing the talent you have, not forcing a scheme down people's throats.

Oates and George need to go. We need a Sabres like purge. Now, before the season is further ruined.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I do to think that's the point. The fact that the "handed ness" takes precedence over all else is the problem. For someone that is supposed to be so "Cerebral", it smacks of stubborn ignorance. It's about maximizing the talent you have, not forcing a scheme down people's throats.

Oates and George need to go. We need a Sabres like purge. Now, before the season is further ruined.

IMO, for Ted to purge the Caps, it will take media pressure like NHL live, HNIC, TSN, and Sportsnet. The local writers won't cut it. Constant slams might get the job done. A purge is the only way to fix this and the new GMGM should be told Ovechkin, Carlson, Backstrom, Alzner, and Holtby are untouchable. A new GMGM will be eager to make tweaks and send a statement. Firing Oates May not be needed. A change like the Bruins did when they hired Chiarelli is exactly what the team needs.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Who honestly thinks we're going to see any changes in the front office unless we miss the playoffs by a significant margin?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Who honestly thinks we're going to see any changes in the front office unless we miss the playoffs by a significant margin?

I would not be surprised at all if there was a front office purge with anything short of 2nd or even 3rd round.

If they miss the playoffs I'd actually be surprised is something wasnt done....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
in any case....barring a serious playoff run I can see this being the end of the GMGM era. Im not nearly as hard on his as others and looked at individually each season can be somewhat explained away.....there are enough of them (seasons) at this point to just say, time for a different set of eyes

well..oates fail will finally achieve McPhee exit. if as some here feel, that McPhee shouldn't be allowed to hire another coach then he sticks with oates til the end and they are both canned.

once that is done, we can start complaining with gusto about how much we hate the ownership and how we aren't going to spend another dollar on the team til leonsis sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->