Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s a small thing, but does anyone else get fed up with the clear effort by the afternoon hosts to work as little as possible. 5 minute route and recorded intros to every segment. Using the last half hour to replay some stupid interview they had as though it was the most important guest ever. All clearly done in the name of being on air as little as possible. I don’t know why I care, since I hate their show, but I can’t help but let it bother me.

They lost me in 2001 when they hung up on me for having the audacity of asking about a hockey prospect who they'd never heard of and said so on the air. Wish that Paul Gaustad guy had turned into something.

Deleted member 27798

Schoop and his Lap Dog have been mailing it in for years. I wonder how much they make? Please tell me its nowhere near 6 figures?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It’s a small thing, but does anyone else get fed up with the clear effort by the afternoon hosts to work as little as possible. 5 minute route and recorded intros to every segment. Using the last half hour to replay some stupid interview they had as though it was the most important guest ever. All clearly done in the name of being on air as little as possible. I don’t know why I care, since I hate their show, but I can’t help but let it bother me.

I don't mind most of the shows, but I take them for what they are - average joe's trying to appeal to average joe's with the equivalent of water cooler talk (as @Chainshot referred to it above). I pull the interviews that i want off the audio vault, so i don't notice the commercials. If I ever have it on live it's just background noise...

The beat guys are the real targets of my ire;
PHam has become so bitter and jaded from watching this shitshow of a team that his 20 minute segments have just turned into the repetitive old-man rants. Atleast he became a little more positive when Jack said he was gonna be nicer to the press at his end of season presser... But aside from the negativity, he provides no insight to prospects or Rochester, and his player evaluations leave a lot to be desired (remember, he thinks OEL is not good).
Sal C is an elite level homer that can rationalize any move made by the Bills without ever providing any actual content or insight into the team. In fact, almost every time a story is broke, he's the last one to know. He won't even engage on twitter without getting overly emotional and defensive.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't mind most of the shows, but I take them for what they are - average joe's trying to appeal to average joe's with the equivalent of water cooler talk (as @Chainshot referred to it above). I pull the interviews that i want off the audio vault, so i don't notice the commercials. If I ever have it on live it's just background noise...

PHam has become so bitter and jaded from watching this ****show of a team that his 20 minute segments have just turned into the repetitive old-man rants. Atleast he became a little more positive when Jack said he was gonna be nicer to the press at his end of season presser... But aside from the negativity, he provides no insight to prospects or Rochester, and his player evaluations leave a lot to be desired (remember, he thinks OEL is not good).
Sal C is an elite level homer that can rationalize any move made by the Bills without ever providing any actual content or insight into the team. In fact, almost every time a story is broke, he's the last one to know. He won't even engage on twitter without getting overly emotional and defensive.
My favorite thing about Sal is how he adopts the lingo McDermott uses. He now says “mental makeup” once an interview.

Reactions: Fezzy126

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
My favorite thing about Sal is how he adopts the lingo McDermott uses. He now says “mental makeup” once an interview.
At least Sal comes off as well informed about every aspect of the team. From guys like Allen to some of the lower round picks and UDFAs.

PHam has no idea about any sabres prospects aside from the top guys, never provides insights, and always talks about the *one* time he saw the player live in dev camp or something. On the occasion that I do listen to WGR and Paul comes on I just turn the station off. He’s *that* bad. Some how he can do a 20 minutes segment and not say anything

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007

PHam has become so bitter and jaded from watching this ****show of a team that his 20 minute segments have just turned into the repetitive old-man rants. Atleast he became a little more positive when Jack said he was gonna be nicer to the press at his end of season presser... But aside from the negativity, he provides no insight to prospects or Rochester, and his player evaluations leave a lot to be desired (remember, he thinks OEL is not good).
He used to break stories but I don't know how many of his guys are still at OBD. I do know that Whaley was one of his sources.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Schopp was extremely unprofessional on today's show. He spent 15 minutes calling Steve Wyche a shill. He kept going on and on about it. I'm so tired of his arrogance.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

I can kind of understand it. They're on from 3-7pm. Which means that a lot of people who work 9-5 aren't able to hear the first two hours of the show, so they might want to replay interviews from the first two hours of the show.

I don't mind the afternoon guys if you take it for what it is - not serious sports analysis or reporting, but rather a couple average sports fans just shooting the breeze about sports and sport-related stuff. Schopp can be kind of dickish and condescending - but my god, have you listened to some of the idiot callers they get into that show every day? I might develop a bit of a dismissive and brusque attitude after 15 years of having to listen to those callers every day.

Murph is the worst. "Old man yells at cloud." He doesn't seriously engage with or consider any opinions he didn't already form 30 years ago.

The Instigators are two Canadian lunkheads who can be entertaining in a way, in the sense that it is often like listening to a real life version of Bob & Doug Mackenzie. The best thing about the Instigators is, out of all the WGR personalities, they don't take themselves too seriously.

Agree with the comments about Sal being too much of a Bills homer/apologist, and Paul Hamilton being an old crank who doesn't really contribute anything.

Actually kind of like Howard Simon and Jeremy White in the morning. They're fine.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I was watching the John Murphy show during lunch at work last week and I was beside myself listening to him bury Tyrod...now..after he’s gone....for all the reasons I did when he was here. Because he wouldn’t say a word about it when he was here. It was all sunshine and rainbows and people who saw the problem were fools.

Can not stand when people do that. It makes all their opinions worthless.

I can’t even listen to the Instigators. How sad is that? A hockey fan can’t listen to the only local hockey show because they’re too damn stupid.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was watching the John Murphy show during lunch at work last week and I was beside myself listening to him bury Tyrod...now..after he’s gone....for all the reasons I did when he was here. Because he wouldn’t say a word about it when he was here. It was all sunshine and rainbows and people who saw the problem were fools.

Can not stand when people do that. It makes all their opinions worthless.

I can’t even listen to the Instigators. How sad is that? A hockey fan can’t listen to the only local hockey show because they’re too damn stupid.

The Instigators is okay to get some of the guest bits, but again, it's just as easy to wait for the on-demand part and listen then. Their regular conversation reminds me of half of the beer league guys I've ever played with. There is no nuance there. I actually prefer Ellis guesting on that show - he's got half a brain.

Reactions: Fezzy126

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
The Instigators is okay to get some of the guest bits, but again, it's just as easy to wait for the on-demand part and listen then. Their regular conversation reminds me of half of the beer league guys I've ever played with. There is no nuance there. I actually prefer Ellis guesting on that show - he's got half a brain.

Disagree - the Dahlin interview was painfully awkward.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That was the last thing I listened to. They asked him about pancakes and Ivan Drago. I’m shocked he didn’t call his agent immediately and tell him they needed to find a way out.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I liked Schopp when he was on 107.7 against "The Coach" and then "The Bulldog". I thought it was a great show, and that Haseoke was just ridiculously funny. But he's not the same since moving to GR.
Bulldog is a joke. Any fan on here has more insight.
I just use the On Demand for the guests unless something big happens but then I'm usually very disappointed.
The Instigators are fine but mostly for the guests. Peters isn't a great host - and again, FIX THOSE MICS!
Tasker is good. Always liked him on CBS.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I liked Schopp when he was on 107.7 against "The Coach" and then "The Bulldog". I thought it was a great show, and that Haseoke was just ridiculously funny. But he's not the same since moving to GR.
Bulldog is a joke. Any fan on here has more insight.
I just use the On Demand for the guests unless something big happens but then I'm usually very disappointed.
The Instigators are fine but mostly for the guests. Peters isn't a great host - and again, FIX THOSE MICS!
Tasker is good. Always liked him on CBS.

He was very good back then and made an aggressive push at the time to get to ESPN radio. Even filled in a few times on a few overnight slots. But once that dream fell apart he became the dink he is now.

Bulldog used to be to be good as well. He just kowtows to Schopp to become the current version we have now. Its a shame because you get glimpses of what he used to be when Schopp is on vacation.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad