Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Howard Simon: just heard this pheaeuf rumor. Wow, that would be asinine. At that contract? Omg. If question murrays sanity.

Peters: ID BE ALL OVER THAT

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Discussing defensemen, Paul Hamilton just said the "kid from Phoenix" was awful in his own zone. Then referenced him scoring 20+ goals. He must be talking about OEL. Unreal.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Discussing defensemen, Paul Hamilton just said the "kid from Phoenix" was awful in his own zone. Then referenced him scoring 20+ goals. He must be talking about OEL. Unreal.

Without listening to the interview I would imagine he was going for Yandle but got confused with OEL.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Peters is pure entertainment. This guy can't be serious.

It's funny - I was in the office today and my neighbor next door just started laughing, right about 11am (time of your post). He regularly listens to GR in his office. I asked him what it was, and he just goes "Andrew Peters is such a ****ing clown". That must have been whatever he said today :laugh:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Paul Hamilton just mentioned the idea of Eichel living with Weber. All I could imagine was the most awkwardly hilarious living situation ever. :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Paul Hamilton just mentioned the idea of Eichel living with Weber. All I could imagine was the most awkwardly hilarious living situation ever. :laugh:

With not too many vets who have been Sabres for a while, it's not long before you get to Weber in the Eichel billet conversation.

He's the longest tenured Sabre at this point, right?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
With not too many vets who have been Sabres for a while, it's not long before you get to Weber in the Eichel billet conversation.

He's the longest tenured Sabre at this point, right?

Him and Ellis, yes. I was more thinking of sad weber from when the fans were cheering for the team to lose for eichel :laugh:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Hamilton telling people to watch sports, hahahahohoho. Him and Schopp, this is what happens when you keep lazy, completely uninspired, arrogant jerks hired for decades.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Paul is oddly obsessed with Eichel's living situation. Is it really a newsworthy enough to require a question at the intro presser and then be talked about at several points in his rounds of the WGR shows the following morning? At this rate, I'm expecting a Champ Kind-like breakdown in a few weeks with Paul telling Jack that they should get an apartment together.

Hamilton is on Twitter saying OEL is a "turnover machine" and "not very good along the wall either".

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/616396047422767104

What the...

This is the guy Buffalo radio listeners depend on to bring them their NHL/Sabres news. The guy who parroted Nolan's criticisms of Hodgson ("uncoachable" and "has his idea of the way the game should be played and won't deviate") and then tried to attribute those comments to off-the-record quotes that players made to him. (Does anyone see Paul sitting in the locker room long after the rest of the media has left getting inside scoops from players? Or asking them to dish on one another? Please.)

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
mmmm turnover machiiine
yfPoxtO.gif

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
This station is unbearable. I'd like to listen to some of these interviews and I try but I can never get very far.

Peters and KSly are simply the worst interviewers imaginable.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Those that complain the most, listen day in day out ....

Why do you listen?

Like Paxon, I listen to the interviews either while they happen or after the fact when someone posts them here or when they are at the audio vault on WGR.

Why? I dislike most of their hosts so much, I don't waste my time with "turning it on for background".

Keep listening :thumbu:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Pegula will be starting his own radio/television station soon, right?

Hockey hot line is a great concept but has terrible hosts. Duffer would be a great host for that show.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Paul is oddly obsessed with Eichel's living situation. Is it really a newsworthy enough to require a question at the intro presser and then be talked about at several points in his rounds of the WGR shows the following morning? At this rate, I'm expecting a Champ Kind-like breakdown in a few weeks with Paul telling Jack that they should get an apartment together.

What the...

This is the guy Buffalo radio listeners depend on to bring them their NHL/Sabres news. The guy who parroted Nolan's criticisms of Hodgson ("uncoachable" and "has his idea of the way the game should be played and won't deviate") and then tried to attribute those comments to off-the-record quotes that players made to him. (Does anyone see Paul sitting in the locker room long after the rest of the media has left getting inside scoops from players? Or asking them to dish on one another? Please.)

I agree that the obsession about Eichel's living arrangement is "odd". That's a very good one word description. Eichel has lived away from home for the past year. His parents are very involved and I'm sure that there are plenty of team leaders who can guide him along whether he lives alone or with veteran players. Drop it already - especially at the news conference announcing Eichel's signing.

Hamilton does appear to have gotten lazy with his reporting. The inability to remember OEL was embarrassing. At the same time, I can recall times when I have been speaking publicly - something I HATE to do - when I drew a blank on a word or phrase. But then again, I'm not a professional. Lately, it seems to be happening with a little more frequency with Hamilton.

I do wish there was room on the station for more than one reporter covering the Sabres - if nothing else but to create a competitive environment.

As for Hockey Hotline - it is the absolute worst program out there, IMO. Kevin Sylvester is a total stiff, and arrogant bore with almost no personality. Andrew Peters has this persona that comes off as part condescending, part vapid, part too cool for the room, part know it all ex jock, and part a-hole.

Brian Duff is the perfect guy for this show. Given that he is probably busy with other commitments, someone of his ilk would be desirable. It's time to move K-Sly into ticket sales and Andrew Peters to some liaison role.

*misspelling intentional to avoid the censors

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Pegula will be starting his own radio/television station soon, right?

Hockey hot line is a great concept but has terrible hosts. Duffer would be a great host for that show.

Pegula is the one that pays those two lunkheads on hockey hotline. They work for the Sabres not WGR. It's a two hour segment the Sabres pay WGR for and hire the hosts. So don't be too sure you would be rid of those two if he started his own radio and/or TV venture.

And I agree whole heartedly that Duffer would be a great host.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I will listen to anything on WGR because I don't get any Sabres talk around here.

I was driving to work (just east of Oshawa) and I decided to see if 550 would get a decent signal and it was pretty good. I was so happy because I can't stand listening to the FAN590 with constant Leaf talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad