OT: General Video Game Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
1080 ti, yeesh that's some beef. I've got an RX 480 which does pretty well for me :P.

235c38c23a9a4c38109ed2b073365b84.jpg

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I rented "The Technomancer" last week (PS4). Meh game, cool story line, but redundant fights as you have to travel through the bergs for multiple quests. It's a no jumping game, dodge/parry is a big part of game-play. It feels like it would play better as a pure PC rather than consul game. ~40 hrs of game-play, not worth paying a lot for.

HDZ was great, I definitely recommend it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
1080 ti, yeesh that's some beef. I've got an RX 480 which does pretty well for me :P.

Yeah this machines specs slowly went from "average and sensible" to "I can make this a little better for another $50" to "GO BIG OR GO HOME".

This is by far the most expensive computer I have ever built for myself.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
As much as I love BotW, the final battle with Gannon was disappointing.

I've heard the same thing from a few people. However, I've also heard that people who sunk 50-60 hours into the game appreciated that they were able to beat Gannon without sinking another 50+ hours maxing out their character as a requirement to beat him.

How's the saying go? It's more about the journey than the destination? Seems like Zelda follows that philosophy in this instance.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I bought this week's humble bundle, a bunch of old version PS games upscaled for the PS4. Darkridersx4, Destroy all Humansx2, Legend of Kay, and a few more for $15.

Seeing the "saving in memory card slot 1" threw me for a loop.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So in an interesting turn of events, I now own a Geforce GTX 1080 Ti. Those faint angels you heard a while ago from the direction of Moorhead? That was the chorus that sang out as I opened the box.

This is going to be a fun weekend!

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So in an interesting turn of events, I now own a Geforce GTX 1080 Ti. Those faint angels you heard a while ago from the direction of Moorhead? That was the chorus that sang out as I opened the box.

This is going to be a fun weekend!

Well, color me jealous.

Now buy a wheel and pedals.

Do it.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I might consider it. I could always use more game controllers.

Used DFGT or G25/G27 (Logitech) is what I'd look for. G29 is too damn expensive new plus kinda crap. Thrustmaster T300 is good if you don't get a Monday piece. Which there are quite a lot of, so beware.

If you promise to give it some effort, I can offer free iRacing coaching even! :naughty:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I use an older Fanatec CSR, XB360 era wheel with the Forza logo in the middle :laugh:

It's still mostly serving me well, but it is starting to show its age. The left side leather grip has started to come off (it's hanging by one side now), and the paddle shifters are starting to double shift in some games. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and having it go straight into 4th is annoying. Assetto Corsa has a slider to adjust for that, but not every game does. Does iRacing?

I can't recommend Fanatec nowadays though. Way too overpriced.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I use an older Fanatec CSR, XB360 era wheel with the Forza logo in the middle :laugh:

It's still mostly serving me well, but it is starting to show its age. The left side leather grip has started to come off (it's hanging by one side now), and the paddle shifters are starting to double shift in some games. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and having it go straight into 4th is annoying. Assetto Corsa has a slider to adjust for that, but not every game does. Does iRacing?

I can't recommend Fanatec nowadays though. Way too overpriced.

Yes. You can adjust the debouncing in the same way that you can do on AC, it's just done via app.ini as opposed to the menu option you get on AC.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Used DFGT or G25/G27 (Logitech) is what I'd look for. G29 is too damn expensive new plus kinda crap. Thrustmaster T300 is good if you don't get a Monday piece. Which there are quite a lot of, so beware.

If you promise to give it some effort, I can offer free iRacing coaching even! :naughty:

If I'm going to get a wheel controller, I need one that has as many buttons and controls within reach and don't have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees to turn as fast as possible.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
If I'm going to get a wheel controller, I need one that has as many buttons and controls within reach and don't have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees to turn as fast as possible.

Get a Logitech Driving Force GT, then.

As StealthClobber said, the steering sensitivity can be adjusted. But alas, you will find that 900 degrees is your best option most of the time, for maximum precision. In reality, and while it does depend on the type of car, you don't actually use more than ~120 degrees at any given moment anyway. Might have to go 180 for really tight hairpins, but otherwise if you turn the wheel too much, you're doing it wrong anyway.

Example here:

Donington Park has two tight hairpins towards the end. Even for those, I'm not turning the wheel even close to 180 degrees. In fact, I'm using a bit too much steering even now.

Now, the car in question is Lotus 79, which is an open-wheeler, formula-style car. Those do generally have faster steering racks (12:1 in this case, adjustable) than, say, a GT car would. The wheels don't turn that much either. So no, there is no real need to go full swipey-swipey 3 and a quarter, like you would have to when three-point turning a pickup in a narrow street.

Now, when looking for a DFGT, keep in mind that some people are selling it for much more than it's actually worth due to a combination of supply & demand and uneducated buyers. Don't pay more than $100 for a new one, $70 for used. Make sure to always check the condition (is the FFB working & wheel clamps on both sides, mainly).

Also, the pedals are softer than Pierre-Marc Bouchard. That's part of the charm. In other words, put a gel/squash ball under the brake pedal, there's a slot where one will fit just fine. After that, you got a decent starter set. Don't listen to people who say that wheel is not suitable/holds you back, I'm at 6k road iRating and 10k+ combined iRating (road+oval) with DFGT wheel and G25 pedals that are not exactly in new condition.

Contact me or ask here if you have more to ask. I'm more than gladly offering my assistance. Same goes for everyone else, too.

Maybe one day we can enter a HF Wild team on one of the endurance events! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad