OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I guess I'm not sure if it's remastered at all but I downloaded it on Xbox One. I would think they'd do at least a little bit to make it look better? Again, have no idea on that.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins. Like a lot I haven't been into the series lately, not really since Black Flag. This game is great. The setting in Egypt is cool, the new combat is pretty fun and idk it just seems like they've gotten back to what I've liked about the older games in the series. Game is just absolutely huge though. I feel like I've played it a ton and there's still big parts of the map I haven't discovered yet.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm actually very intrigued by the new AC. Looks sweet.

Assassin's Creed has become a game that I don't go get right away (read: full price), because honestly, the thing I love most about the game is just experiencing the setting and exploring the world/map. The actual gameplay and story, I can usually take it or leave it. But they do a great job at creating an interesting and engaging world to explore.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've played a few hours of AC: Origins so far, and I've enjoyed it. I'm just about to leave the first city, so I haven't actually seen much yet. I completely agree that my favorite thing about the game is just exploring the maps. These are some of the only games where I enjoy doing all of the sidequests, and I basically just do them because I like screwing around in the games. I've actually struggled a little bit with some of the combat. I'm playing on hard mode, and to be honest, the controls still confuse me because they're different than every other game in the series (that I've played at least) so far. The bow and arrow I've got so far is worthless. Headshots do like 1/3 health to some of these guys. Anyway, excited to keep playing.

On another note, I got to play the Occulus Rift last night. Has anyone else played anything on it before? It's pretty crazy, much different than the casual VR you see all over the place. I was playing like a shootout-type of game, 2v2, where you legit have to crouch down, lie down on the floor, stand up, whatever to avoid getting shot. Then to shoot a sniper, you actually move your hands/arms as if you were holding one, and you have to "look down the scope" and everything, and you can only look with one eye down the scope or everything looks screwy. It was surprisingly fun. Another game was one where you sit on a chair, and then reach around, grab things, etc. to try to solve some sort of puzzle, trying to get a car out of a room. After I was done playing, just looking at objects around the room (not in VR) felt really weird, it was hard to describe. It almost felt like I was momentarily still playing VR. I know someone who was playing for a while and actually fell over because they felt like they were about to lean on an object in one of the games. I don't know if VR will ever fully catch on, but it was a very cool experience, and I would recommend to everyone to try a few Occulus games if you get the chance.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Anyone going to follow Overwatch League?

I've watched some preseason, a close friend's brother plays for the LA Gladiators, kinda cool to watch the games with him in there.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Bought and finished "What Remains of Edith Finch" last night. Amazing game, best I've played in some time. Game is maybe too strong a word for it though.... "Game" would be more appropriate. It's a walking simulator (think Gone Home and Firewatch) that's all of 2 to 3 hours long. Very short and not much by way of gaming mechanics, but it's very good looking and has a pretty cool story to tell. Well worth the $20 or so I spent on it.

I think tonight I'm going to give Persona 5 another go. Bounced off that game hard the first go-round. Maybe I'm too old for it, but the reviews are so good I feel like I should probably give it another try.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Bought and finished "What Remains of Edith Finch" last night. Amazing game, best I've played in some time. Game is maybe too strong a word for it though.... "Game" would be more appropriate. It's a walking simulator (think Gone Home and Firewatch) that's all of 2 to 3 hours long. Very short and not much by way of gaming mechanics, but it's very good looking and has a pretty cool story to tell. Well worth the $20 or so I spent on it.

Great game. Had a great experience playing it. Like you said, not really much in terms of 'playing' it, other than doing what's necessary to advance the story, but yeah it was good. They did a good job on that one.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Or maybe I'll play some more Mario. Or maybe go back to Horizon Zero Dawn.

Ugh ... too many games and not enough time.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Got Assassin's Creed Origins from my sister for Christmas!

Started playing it today, and it looks just awesome. I've only been to the opening city, but I already love the setting. The menu system is really cool, and at first glance, it appears this may be the deepest AC game I've played. Just from the skill tree, and the way you can upgrade weapons/armor, etc.

The eagle is also really cool. My favorite thing is that you can set your camel/horse to ride on roads and go to the objective, and while it's riding you to the objective, you can switch to the eagle and fly above, scanning below for interesting things to go check out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've finally gotten back into Super Mario Odyssey after beating the main game, and I'm addicted once again. I'm up to like 530 Power Moons or so, and I'm going to try to get as many as possible without any type of guide. Love the game.

And because of that, I haven't played much of AC: Origins still. I believe I just got to the third city, and while I really enjoy the setting, the game itself hasn't hooked me at all yet for some reason. Most of the AC games on 360 hooked me pretty easily, and with this one getting great reviews, I'm slightly disappointed so far. I'll get around to it sometime soon.

Also got my first solo win in PUBG, so I'm pumped about that! Love the desert map.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yeah, AC origins excited me at first but definitely didn't hook me. Yakuza 0 on the other hand .... it's a weird, weird game ... but I love it.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Was going back and forth on whether or not to buy PUBG, so I downloaded Fortnite.

I am TERRIBLE. :laugh:

HA! That's why I stay away from any sort of shooter multi-player... especially a battle royale type game. I'm also terrible, my fragile ego can't handle it. They look like a lot of fun though.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
HA! That's why I stay away from any sort of shooter multi-player... especially a battle royale type game. I'm also terrible, my fragile ego can't handle it. They look like a lot of fun though.
I'm still so torn on it. Granted, I didn't play for long, but in my time playing Fortnite and Twitching PUBG, it seems fun at times, but other times it's like: spend 10 minutes walking around in silence, picking up gear, get sniped by the first person you see, do it all over again.

I think it's something that's fun to just jump in and out of, but I don't think I'd ever go out and buy it.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
That's more a PUBG thing than Fortnite. The same thing can happen in Fortnite, but it's more of an occasional happening, whereas in PUBG, that's every single match.

This is where the size difference of the maps (especially the new Mexico map in PUBG which is way bigger than the original map) plays a big factor.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Lumines Remastered is coming to the Switch.

Switch best console ever confirmed.

Seriously Lumines is a top-5 game for me, I can play the hell out of that and not get bored.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I'm not sure I've heard of that game...but I do think I'll need to get a Switch someday. Maybe once it gets old enough where some places might have an okay sale on it.

Speaking of being late to games, I played and finished the main story of Witcher 3...really good. The version I got included all of the DLC...so still working on finishing that too. Says something when I actually want to keep playing a game after I've finished the main portions.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Lumines Remastered is coming to the Switch.

Switch best console ever confirmed.

Seriously Lumines is a top-5 game for me, I can play the hell out of that and not get bored.
Ever play Meteos on DS? Those two games were always compared to each other. I LOVED Meteos, and I was very, very, very good at it back in the day.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Ever play Meteos on DS? Those two games were always compared to each other. I LOVED Meteos, and I was very, very, very good at it back in the day.

I never played Meteos, but looking at gameplay it looks more complicated than Lumines. Both puzzle games but I feel like they'd scratch different itches. Was thinking about picking up a 3DS, might have to find a copy of Meteos somewhere.

My favorite part about Lumines is just how integral the music is to the game. The music/skin changes each stage, and then the speed of the stage changes based on the music, and the sound of rotating the blocks changes, dashing the blocks changes, the sound of clearing blocks changes. Its just so well polished and I can't even begin to measure how many hours I played of it. I regularly had challenge (marathon) mode games go 1 hour.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I never played Meteos, but looking at gameplay it looks more complicated than Lumines. Both puzzle games but I feel like they'd scratch different itches. Was thinking about picking up a 3DS, might have to find a copy of Meteos somewhere.

My favorite part about Lumines is just how integral the music is to the game. The music/skin changes each stage, and then the speed of the stage changes based on the music, and the sound of rotating the blocks changes, dashing the blocks changes, the sound of clearing blocks changes. Its just so well polished and I can't even begin to measure how many hours I played of it. I regularly had challenge (marathon) mode games go 1 hour.
Yup, sounds similar to Meteos too. Meteos has I think 32 different planets which all have different rules, with the big difference being gravity. It's such a fun game, and the sound is amazing as well. The menu screen music reminds me a ton of Super Smash Bros. Melee I believe, and it's the same lead designer that worked the Kirby and SSB series. Might have to go play that tonight. :laugh: I'll give some serious consideration to picking up Lumines on Switch.

One thing about Meteos is the touch controls, which I actually feel helps a puzzle game like that a lot. I'm curious how Lumines plays without touch controls.

Wow, hardcore nostalgia for me listening to this.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Getting excited for Ni No Kuni 2 on Friday and then Farcry 5 next week. Finally getting around to playing CoD WW2, it's pretty good. Tried playing Fortnite, not a fan. The building part of it is dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad