OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I don't see how GSP fights at 155. That would be ridiculous. He is a shredded 170 guy.

Yeah i also doubt GSP would go down all the way to 155. If he were to fight Connor I think that would be at catchweight. Connor fights Mayweather first then maybe GSP.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
GSP won't fight at 155, there's absolutely no way he could physically . Khabib was just dropping his name to try and provoke some of the actual challengers ( Conor, mainly) .

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
GSP won't fight at 155, there's absolutely no way he physically could . Khabib was just dropping his name to try and provoke some of the actual challengers ( Conor, mainly) .

No, Khabib has brought up GSP before last night. He wants GSP if he could.

I could see a catchweight fight maybe.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No, Khabib has brought up GSP before last night. He wants GSP if he could.

I could see a catchweight fight maybe.
I think GSP is a lot more likely to fight Woodley for his belt, it's an easier narrative to build a big money scenario. Georges needs a heel/big talker to work opposite him , it's where he's had his biggest successes promotion wise. With Khabib it's a lot less natural, both guys can't really talk the fight up . GSP is a super smart businessman, he takes those things into consideration. Plus, I think similar with the Bisping fight he'll feel like he can beat Woodley, it's a very winnable matchup .

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Khabib was obviously messing around in round 3 & 4. He could have taken it back to ground and pound and finished it before the 5th round but he was showboating. Even his coach was telling him to stop messing around at the end of the 3rd and stick to ground and pound.

Those sloppy back kicks and foot work isn't something he's done before, even the way he was punching, twirling one hand and jabbing with the other, it was all a stupid act. But Al posed no threat to him, and I don't think Khabib wanted to damage or finish Al in a humiliating way since he stepped up last minute and wasn't even training for 5 championship rounds.

It was pretty reckless because if Al had connected one of his monster rights, he could have easily wobbled Khabib and it would have been a different fight. But kudos to Al, he stepped up and did better than anyone expected.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
The Dagestani looked awful. Al isn’t even a top ten guy and even he figured out Khabib’s heel lock. Connor knocks him out in 2 rounds and Ferguson destroys him.

Paper champ

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Adesanya has some SLICK, advance striking technique. He switches stance and angles so seamlessly, like his brain is wired differently somehow.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Great main event. Starting to like Poirier, hope he does get a title shot. Right now it's so hard to know who fights Khabib next. Logically it's McGregor(1) or Ferguson(2) but they'll both be out a while.

Khabib just beat Barboza(4) leaving Alvarez(3) and Poirer(5, bound to go up) as available contenders.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Great main event. Starting to like Poirier, hope he does get a title shot. Right now it's so hard to know who fights Khabib next. Logically it's McGregor(1) or Ferguson(2) but they'll both be out a while.

Khabib just beat Barboza(4) leaving Alvarez(3) and Poirer(5, bound to go up) as available contenders.
On merit alone Poirier would certainly deserve a shot if Khabib takes an ''in-between'' fight before Ferguson is healthy or Conor decides he wants to fight. I could see him just wait though, that's been the pattern with title holders recently. I think Poirier will probably end up having to fight Alvarez again since their first fight ended in controversy. The winner of that would be the number 1 challenger for whoever has the belt at the end of 2018/start of 2019.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's got a limited toolbox in general . He's got a judo background and strong natural balance but he doesn't have finishing skills or a natural killer instnct. A lot of grapplers are like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad