OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Gutsy performance as usual by platinum Mike but it's 2 losses in a row now, he needs to stop the slide real quick . He's tough as nails but sometimes it's just not enough.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Screw Mike Perry.
I like the kid a lot personally, he's got ridiculous power. I just wish he would get with a better team and get serious about rounding out his game. Right now he'll win some and lose some but elite fighters will always outsmart him I fear.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
finally got around to watching the main event. If your strategy is to knock Stephens out, you're likely gonna lose. Stephens is gonna outchin anyone in a power-punching contest.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I like the kid a lot personally, he's got ridiculous power. I just wish he would get with a better team and get serious about rounding out his game. Right now he'll win some and lose some but elite fighters will always outsmart him I fear.

I hate his attitude, his racist corner and pretty much everything about him.

Yep, not a fan :laugh:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
finally got around to watching the main event. If your strategy is to knock Stephens out, you're likely gonna lose. Stephens is gonna outchin anyone in a power-punching contest.
What's your take on the whole illegal knee situation ?
I hate his attitude, his racist corner and pretty much everything about him.

Yep, not a fan :laugh:
I didn't know about the racist stuff, is this legit ? That would obviously change my opinion of the guy !

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
What's your take on the whole illegal knee situation ?

My general opinion on fouls is forever gonna be: it's up to the ref to do something about it.

As for for this particular situation, the problem stems from the interpretation of the new knee rules. It seems to confuse the referee who in turns has to explain the rule to the fighter before the fight and it's a mess come fight time because the fighters derives his own interpretation from a possibly poor explanation.

UFC’s illegal knee controversy: Emmett to appeal loss, Stephens misunderstood the rules, Faber blasts Cruz

The illegal knee wasn’t thrown accidentally, or in the heat of the moment. Stephens spoke about his actions, saying it was clearly his intention to land the knee, but it seems like he has misunderstood the new rules that are in place.

He thought it was legal, and brought up a conversation he had with the referee about the rules briefing.
“Dan Miragliotta came in the back (before the fight). He said this is the new unified rules,” Stephens said. “He said that if two hands are down, you can lift one hand up to knee. If he’s on his knees, and one hand is up, it’s okay to throw a knee.”

During the time of the knee, Anik's immediate reaction was: "The new unified rules on knee", so he thought it was legal. Meaning, the new rule is really not clear enough and everyone is confused as to what is legal or not legal. Referees has to switch between the old and new rules depending on commissions. So, I don't even think refs understand everything in the rule books. Heck, i have tremendous doubts the people who created those rules understand those rules perfectly, especially in a world where lots of commissions are led by total idiots.

MMA (and boxing i guess; not that i watch enough boxing to know) is a weird sport where the rules aren't applied in a black and white kind of way. Most of the time, it's applied based on the interpretation of the referee. Whether this is right or wrong, it is the general practice.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
My general opinion on fouls is forever gonna be: it's up to the ref to do something about it.

As for for this particular situation, the problem stems from the interpretation of the new knee rules. It seems to confuse the referee who in turns has to explain the rule to the fighter before the fight and it's a mess come fight time because the fighters derives his own interpretation from a possibly poor explanation.

UFC’s illegal knee controversy: Emmett to appeal loss, Stephens misunderstood the rules, Faber blasts Cruz

During the time of the knee, Anik's immediate reaction was: "The new unified rules on knee", so he thought it was legal. Meaning, the new rule is really not clear enough and everyone is confused as to what is legal or not legal. Referees has to switch between the old and new rules depending on commissions. So, I don't even think refs understand everything in the rule books. Heck, i have tremendous doubts the people who created those rules understand those rules perfectly, especially in a world where lots of commissions are led by total idiots.

MMA (and boxing i guess; not that i watch enough boxing to know) is a weird sport where the rules aren't applied in a black and white kind of way. Most of the time, it's applied based on the interpretation of the referee. Whether this is right or wrong, it is the general practice.
Yeah I guess Miragliotta has to take a lot of the blame since he let it slide, he had the opportunity to jump in . As you said, it's essentially left to the interpretation of the ref, which is asking for stuff like that to happen. It's surprising it doesn't happen MORE honestly, the whole thing is murky at best and has been for years now in the UFC. I'd almost be in favor of banning knees altogether at this point, either let guys do them in every circonstance or just make it illegal.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Dodson looked sharp in the first round, then things looked ugly on the 2nd round. Dodson has always had an output problem, even tho he's got good cardio and a good chin.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You could make a case for Nunoz winning 2 rounds. Dobson kinda hit the wall later in the fight. It's too bad for him, his career is going nowhere in the last few years even though he's a legit good talent.
Edit: Nevermind, they gave it to Dodson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->