General Tournaments

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a question. This is my third year following major junior and my question is as follows. Whats all of the tournaments each year

I know the world Juniors is Dec 26th to January 5th, I know the U17 tournament is Oct 26th to Nov 5th (dates could be wrong), The Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup is in August, is IH and U18 the same tournament or are they two different tournnaments? World Championship is in May and then theres the Division 1-3 U20 Championship and the U18 Championship? plus the Olympics when they have them and the world cup? is there any other tournaments that i am missing?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Ivan Hlinka tournament and the IIHF U18 tournament are different tournaments. The U18 tournament takes place in the spring, during the CHL playoffs, and is IIHF sanctioned. The Ivan Hlinka is also an U18 tournament, though it is not sanctioned by the IIHF. It takes place in August. A differentiating feature of those tournaments, other than when they are played, is that the IIHF U18 features the US national development team, while the Ivan Hlinka tournament generally features none of those players. Likewise Hockey Canada generally sends its best players to the Ivan Hlinka, but most of the best Canadians are unavailable for the U18.

The World Junior A challenge is a sort of international tournament (Canada is divided into Canada East and Canada West) held in the spring for junior A players. It is organized by Hockey Canada, not unlike the U17 tournament.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
By u17 are we talking that hockey Canada tournament? I don't recall an Iihf u17 tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
By u17 are we talking that hockey Canada tournament? I don't recall an Iihf u17 tournament.

By the time frame given I think that is clearly what the poster is talking about. The one organized by Hockey Canada.

Reactions: Xokkeu

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
The Ivan Hlinka tournament and the IIHF U18 tournament are different tournaments. The U18 tournament takes place in the spring, during the CHL playoffs, and is IIHF sanctioned. The Ivan Hlinka is also an U18 tournament, though it is not sanctioned by the IIHF. It takes place in August. A differentiating feature of those tournaments, other than when they are played, is that the IIHF U18 features the US national development team, while the Ivan Hlinka tournament generally features none of those players. Likewise Hockey Canada generally sends its best players to the Ivan Hlinka, but most of the best Canadians are unavailable for the U18.

The World Junior A challenge is a sort of international tournament (Canada is divided into Canada East and Canada West) held in the spring for junior A players. It is organized by Hockey Canada, not unlike the U17 tournament.

The U18 tournament in the spring since CHL teams are in the playoffs say is Canada made up of non playoff CHL players and non signed CHL prospects under the age of U18 type thing?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The U18 tournament in the spring since CHL teams are in the playoffs say is Canada made up of non playoff CHL players and non signed CHL prospects under the age of U18 type thing?

mostly the team consists of players from non-playoff teams, but Hockey Canada will make a few additions while tournament is in progress from teams that make early playoff exits. In addition there may be a few exceptional players from Junior B. i.e. Tyson Jost played in the BCHL when he played U18. Jost led the tournament in scoring that year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Man it'd be nice if just one hockey tournament had all the best players for their age group

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Man it'd be nice if just one hockey tournament had all the best players for their age group

It would be. Realistically only the IIHF U18 has a shot, but I am assuming that a lot of junior leagues would need to change their schedules (or the CHL would) to accommodate that change.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It would be. Realistically only the IIHF U18 has a shot, but I am assuming that a lot of junior leagues would need to change their schedules (or the CHL would) to accommodate that change.

Only other option is making the u20s a summer tournament or I guess actually having a World Cup in 2024

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Only other option is making the u20s a summer tournament or I guess actually having a World Cup in 2024

Yes, though with the money involved there is no way that the WJC is ever changing. The NHL mainly controls the fate of best on best tournaments, though I didn't consider them age group based but I suppose in a sense they are.

Reactions: Xokkeu

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
is The Ivan and u18 just 17 yr old tournaments or do they sometimes take 16 yr olds too? Like how WJC usually takes 19 yr olds unless you have like a McDavid at 16 or 17 or like U17 where its just 16 yr olds?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
is The Ivan and u18 just 17 yr old tournaments or do they sometimes take 16 yr olds too? Like how WJC usually takes 19 yr olds unless you have like a McDavid at 16 or 17 or like U17 where its just 16 yr olds?

There are 16 year olds sometimes. McDavid played as a 15 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad