General Stars Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

holmE

Jan 4, 2016
Vaasa
What would be the best way to get to/from the AAC from Denton? I will be having a rental car but getting a few beers is always nice so how is Uber in Dallas?
Uber is great. You might also might want to check the rail system from Denton as a form of transportation. Take the A-train from Denton south to Trinity Mills station. From there catch the Green line to Victory Station which is right in front of the AAC. A-train week day south schedule is here. Green line week day south schedule is here. If you miss the train going back north to Denton, you can always call Uber for a ride back to Denton as a fall back option.
What would be the best and easiest way to get tickets for an European?
www.ticketmaster.com or go to the Stars website (stars.nhl.com) and chat with a rep.
Anything else I need to take into consideration before my visit?
anybody want to add anything?

Wow thanks for the information! In most places I have visited in the States there hasnt been many uber cars available but Houston was great so I figured Dallas cant be much different in that regard.

How is the traffic between Denton and AAC on weekday nights? Figured that it might be easier going on a weekday night instead of during the weekend due to the amount of tickets available weekday vs weekend. Dont really know much about my schedule either currently so cant really purchase any tickets yet.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Have had guests on weekday nights, coming from far north Dallas, show up an hour late due to traffic. Weekends much better, and games are never a true sell out. Stars and Ticket master maintain a re seller site, if none available from Stars.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Heatherington is looking half decent I hear, anyone want to elaborate on his play?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Heading down from Sheppard AFB tomorrow for the Rangers game. Wife and I grabbed a hotel near the AAC and plan to drink before/after/possibly both at The Meddlesome Moth but will probably drive over to Greenville Ave for an early dinner before dropping the car at the hotel and getting an Uber to the Moth. We were looking at Slaters 50/50 or Porch. Any better food recommendations?

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
We should really have a tourist guide perma thread. Best eats, travel to the stadium (light rail) etc.

You downtown vets could show that world famous southern courtesy.

Reactions: rudiger

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I was prompted to do a little research by another thread to see how some guys the Stars could have acquired for next to nothing for some help on the second line have been doing since getting moved:

Thomas Vanek: Acquiring Vanek would have cost the Stars an AHLer like Cole Ully
Vanek - 4 games played with zero points recorded
Ully - 0 NHL games played (probably ever)

Patrick Maroon: Acquiring Maroon would have cost a 3rd rounder and some no name prospect with no hopes of making the NHL
Maroon - 4 games played with 1 goal and 3 assists
Nothing - 0 NHL games played

Evander Kane: Acquiring Kane would have cost a 2nd round pick and someone like Brett Ritchie
Kane - 3 games played has 1 goal and 4 assists
Ritchie - 5 games played has 1 goal and 1 assist (sadly, an improvement over his season pace)

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
I think today we are supposed to have a Bish injury update. Fingers crossed it's only a week with something minor.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I was prompted to do a little research by another thread to see how some guys the Stars could have acquired for next to nothing for some help on the second line have been doing since getting moved:

Thomas Vanek: Acquiring Vanek would have cost the Stars an AHLer like Cole Ully
Vanek - 4 games played with zero points recorded
Ully - 0 NHL games played (probably ever)

Patrick Maroon: Acquiring Maroon would have cost a 3rd rounder and some no name prospect with no hopes of making the NHL
Maroon - 4 games played with 1 goal and 3 assists
Nothing - 0 NHL games played

Evander Kane: Acquiring Kane would have cost a 2nd round pick and someone like Brett Ritchie
Kane - 3 games played has 1 goal and 4 assists
Ritchie - 5 games played has 1 goal and 1 assist (sadly, an improvement over his season pace)

Peanuts really. It's honestly so frustrating that Nill didn't make a move for one of these guys.

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
Peanuts really. It's honestly so frustrating that Nill didn't make a move for one of these guys.

I think the larger issue is, if Nill didn't feel we were one piece away (which I don't think we are), then the worst thing to do is sit status quo. There are pieces that could have been sold without completely raising a white flag. This off season build up to do nothing at deadline (regardless of direction), is so 2005-2009 Dallas Stars, or should I say Dallas Sta[rs]tus Quo. Though I guess 2007 was the Ladislov Nagy trade, which well... we all know how awesome that deal was... lol

While I am reminiscing... can i just say... I miss Mattias Norstrom.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
There are pieces that could have been sold without completely raising a white flag.
If pieces like those were traded for pretty much nothing what is the point of trading a player off the team just to get nothing back. I would rather have somebody like Hamhuis help for the playoffs then trade him for some random pick that probably wont even become a nhl player.

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
If pieces like those were traded for pretty much nothing what is the point of trading a player off the team just to get nothing back. I would rather have somebody like Hamhuis help for the playoffs then trade him for some random pick that probably wont even become a nhl player.

Well I was thinking more of a guy the team hasn't publicly discussed interest in bringing back. I can see where a guy like Roussel won't be back and could have been attractive to someone (maybe wishful thinking). I also think "trade him for some random pick that probably won't even become an nhl player" is a pretty poor philosophy to hold as a GM if you ever want to maximize your return on margins. Either you've signaled we aren't close are we are. Status quo rarely is an acceptable routine for transaction periods because everyone else around you is moving and it directly effects you.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Well I was thinking more of a guy the team hasn't publicly discussed interest in bringing back. I can see where a guy like Roussel won't be back and could have been attractive to someone (maybe wishful thinking). I also think "trade him for some random pick that probably won't even become an nhl player" is a pretty poor philosophy to hold as a GM if you ever want to maximize your return on margins. Either you've signaled we aren't close are we are. Status quo rarely is an acceptable routine for transaction periods because everyone else around you is moving and it directly effects you.

Maroon got 27 goals last year and had 14 this year, while roussel had 12 last year and 5 this year if a top 6 forward who can get around 20ish goals can only get a third I would rather just keep roussel because his value of helping us win and make the playoffs is way more useful then a 4/5th round pick and a nobody prospect.

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
Maroon got 27 goals last year and had 14 this year, while roussel had 12 last year and 5 this year if a top 6 forward who can get around 20ish goals can only get a third I would rather just keep roussel because his value of helping us win and make the playoffs is way more useful then a 4/5th round pick and a nobody prospect.

What does achieving a playoff trip stand to gain if we are the underdog to a NSH/WPG/VGK only to be ousted in 5 or 6 games? Lets also remind everyone that Jamie Benn was a 5th round pick. Its hard for me to grasp why someone would rather hold onto a guy, that's not been contributing and may not even be back next year, to maybe make the playoffs in which case are likely to be smashed by your first round opponent. Maximize margins. There are plenty of depth guys that could/should have been traded given a market for them considering our current position.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You don't sell off players when you're in the playoffs. That makes no sense. It especially makes no sense for a team that struggles to even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Kcb12345

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
You want the players to taste the playoffs. You want an outside shot an an upset. You want minimum 2 games playoff revenue above the regular season. You want the press coverage and area buzz of a playoff team. You want fans to experience the electric atmosphere.
So, yeah, you might not mortgage the future, but you also don’t piss everything away for late round picks.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You want the players to taste the playoffs. You want an outside shot an an upset. You want minimum 2 games playoff revenue above the regular season. You want the press coverage and area buzz of a playoff team. You want fans to experience the electric atmosphere.
So, yeah, you might not mortgage the future, but you also don’t piss everything away for late round picks.
Agreed.

You also want the possibility your PP gets hot or Spezza finds another gear or your opponent's starting goalie gets hurt early in a series. Shit happens. Teams on a roll beat better teams all the time in the playoffs.

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
How is subtracting minor part(s) of a fringe playoff team "pissing everything away for a late round pick"? I'm not provoking, I am generally curious as to why the status quo is acceptable. I recognize the opportunity cost of playoff revenue and fan experience, but those are reasons that suggest status quo is not acceptable and you'd rather have bought. Which personally would have signaled much better than not doing anything at all. I'm not saying we should have gone St Louis Blues and trade our Stastny equivalent (which we really don't have a comparable situation), but there was suggestion of an opportunity to then sell if there wasn't one to buy.

Additional thought; I would assume we all probably agree the Central has always been strong as a holistic division, but this year its the deepest and intense as it has ever been (and that's without Chicago even being in the mix). Is this a different conversation if the Central wasn't as much of a powerhouse as it is?

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
How is subtracting minor part(s) of a fringe playoff team "pissing everything away for a late round pick"? I'm not provoking, I am generally curious as to why the status quo is acceptable. I recognize the opportunity cost of playoff revenue and fan experience, but those are reasons that suggest status quo is not acceptable and you'd rather have bought. Which personally would have signaled much better than not doing anything at all. I'm not saying we should have gone St Louis Blues and trade our Stastny equivalent (which we really don't have a comparable situation), but there was suggestion of an opportunity to then sell if there wasn't one to buy.

Additional thought; I would assume we all probably agree the Central has always been strong as a holistic division, but this year its the deepest and intense as it has ever been (and that's without Chicago even being in the mix). Is this a different conversation if the Central wasn't as much of a powerhouse as it is?

To answer that, let’s make sure we’re talking apples to apples. Who all did you want moved, and what were you anticipating in return?

Also, keep in mind that trading away regulars shows the remaining group that you’re giving up on this season.. if you think that wouldn’t have an impact, we disagree. (You’re also filling those roles with players not necessarily accustomed to Hitch hockey)

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
To answer that, let’s make sure we’re talking apples to apples. Who all did you want moved, and what were you anticipating in return?

Also, keep in mind that trading away regulars shows the remaining group that you’re giving up on this season.. if you think that wouldn’t have an impact, we disagree. (You’re also filling those roles with players not necessarily accustomed to Hitch hockey)

The immediate example was Roussel. Hamhius was brought up, but based on public feedback it sounded like the Stars want to resign him. I don't know what the Stars future sentiment of Brett Ritichie is, but thats another if someone offered something, sure have him, move on. My suggestion was to sell on guys you don't expect to be back (Roussel really the only one that fits that mold as a UFA. Maybe Pateryn). Remi Eli possibly. Im not suggesting there is even interest in these guys, but I have to think shopping them might have been possible.

As for filling those holes, i think Dickinson should be gaining reps from here on out. No excuse to keep him out of the lineup. Also we should be looking at Hintz at this point.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Aside from Roussel, all of those guys could be moved in the offseason for the same bag of pucks they’d get you now. Selling Roussel now I don’t agree with bc of the reasons I listed above.
As far as Hintz, they’re looking at him in practice. If he’s better than your current options, sure, play him. But now isn’t the time to suffer through growing pains. (Unless you’ve truly given up on the season, which I wouldn’t at this point)
I suppose you could be like the Blues, but you see how well that sat with the team.

HockeyStatistician

Feb 26, 2018
Texas
Aside from Roussel, all of those guys could be moved in the offseason for the same bag of pucks they’d get you now. Selling Roussel now I don’t agree with bc of the reasons I listed above.
As far as Hintz, they’re looking at him in practice. If he’s better than your current options, sure, play him. But now isn’t the time to suffer through growing pains. (Unless you’ve truly given up on the season, which I wouldn’t at this point)
I suppose you could be like the Blues, but you see how well that sat with the team.

True - though the blues did have that giant loss streak that made it easier to pull that trigger. Where as, we have been fairly mediocre with little offensive output showing and kind of just treading water.

I think our differences are timing more than anything. We can all tell equall as loud After the draft / July 1 if we see the status quo trend continue.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think the larger issue is, if Nill didn't feel we were one piece away (which I don't think we are), then the worst thing to do is sit status quo. There are pieces that could have been sold without completely raising a white flag. This off season build up to do nothing at deadline (regardless of direction), is so 2005-2009 Dallas Stars, or should I say Dallas Sta[rs]tus Quo. Though I guess 2007 was the Ladislov Nagy trade, which well... we all know how awesome that deal was... lol

While I am reminiscing... can i just say... I miss Mattias Norstrom.

We're in win now mode. Signing Radulov, Hanzal, Bishop + trading for Methot was a huge sign of that.

Players were being sold at the TDL for f*** all. Who cares about a 2nd or a 3rd if you can add a veteran (or two) for a playoff push? I don't believe Nill when he says he believes in the team we have. I think he was constantly out-positioned by other GMs on players, and that started with the Rick Nash trade. That really sucks because as Troy pointed out, guys like Vanek, Maroon and Kane didn't cost much.

As noted by others, teams who are in the playoff hunt don't sell their players unless you're St Louis (who sold Shattenkirk and Stastny for 1st round picks iirc). I don't necessarily believe in "sending a message to your team" through actions but boy I bet players on St Louis absolutely hated seeing that happen. We aren't getting a 1st for Roussel. The price is probably a 3rd or a 4th. It's not worth trading him for that anyways (unless you're out of the playoff picture).

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Dallas on Thursday and was wondering if the Stars will likely hold practice that day at Dr. Pepper Arena or not. I checked their online practice schedule and it only goes thru Thursday. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also if there is anything else Stars-related I could do while in Dallas on Thursday, please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad