General Stars Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timani

Tyler Seguin is going to play BaD Radio (Bob Sturm and Dan McDowell), Jake Kemp and a 14 year old, girl, goalie in Frisco on August 30th between noon and 3pm.

Tyler lost a bet to Bob for the 2017 WJC Gold Medal game, I think it was, so Tyler has to do the show that day with them. It will probably be open to the public.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Bit of a fantasy question here regarding Faksa. I was also a fan of him when he was drafted by the Stars. Have you seen him grow his game offensively much in the last 2 seasons? Or at very least been deployed by the coach in situations that are more favorable for production? The movement of Eakin helped his cause, but the Hanzal signing did the opposite. Let me know. Cheers.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Has been quiet. Looked at the Central Division sub-section, and we have the fewest posts and topics of any team in the Central. Pretty sure if I looked at MTL or TOR, they would have as many or more than Blackhawks.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
I am not sure what happened exactly, when I joined in 2011, this was a very active board with a ton of solid posters. Over the last 2 years or so a majority of the group left and went to another forum I believe.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
^ Same here, I posted since 2010, I didn't come to this site for 2015-17 and now came back to find that most everyone who used to post here has moved to a different forum due to something with the Mods (?) I dunno but I miss some of the insight of local members who are at not only the Stars games but the baby Stars as well. I'd love to see a resurgence, I'm starved for my Stars fix.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It’s probably time to send Elie down and bring up some other kid with more offense in his game. That fourth line of Elie-Hanzal-Ritchie has no chance of scoring a goal.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Hows Methot doing so far? 0 pts, yeah, he has never scored a lot, that's not why he was brought in, overall impression?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The new sports writing service The Athletic published an article about Honka. It’s a good read. So far I like the work they’ve done, and the subscription is cheap (not plugola).

Dellow: NHL coaches aren't stupid — that seventh defenceman likely isn't a star

To translate: the Stars put up a 59.5 percent Corsi% when Honka was on the ice. They got 65.1 percent of the scoring chances and 66.7 percent of the high danger scoring chances. He posits that because Dallas got outscored 4-1 with Honka on the ice, the Stars don't see his real value.
. . .
Julius Honka is just the latest of a certain type of defenceman. A Rob Schremp of the blueline. The flashy guy who puts up points, can't seem to get out of the AHL or off of the third pairing and whose numbers seem to scream that he deserves more than he's getting, if only that stupid crusty old hockey man would just get his head out of 1975. For what it's worth, I do believe that this happens. I don't think it's always the case though.
. . .
There are players out there who coaches overlook or don't like because of stuff that doesn't matter as much as they think. There aren't nearly as many fringe NHL defencemen who are actually top four defencemen in that group as a lot of people think though. If you think you've found one, you'd better take an awfully close look. Odds are, you'll find a reason that the coach doesn't like him other than “The coach is stupid.”

In short, he concludes Honka gets the easiest workload of any Stars d-man and Honka doesn’t actually personally contribute nearly as much as his rosy Corsi numbers would have you think. His main point is Honka isn’t being scratched because Hitch hates him. Honka is being scratched and sent down because he’s not that great.

It’s an interesting read, especially when it comes to looking closely at some starts and Corsi by going beyond the stats and watching a shirft to see what the player did or didn’t do to earn the stats awarded to him. An example is looking at the shifts that start with Honka going over the boards while the puck is in play and how he’s picked up a lot of Corsi for tallies from those shifts that largely come from the forwards on the ice having the puck while he’s done nothing but participate in a line change.

I guess it somewhat mirrors what I’ve seen from Honka, which is a guy who mostly sucks at defending, can make about one sensational pass a game while otherwise contributing very little to helping the team, and looks fairly decent on the PP. I still favor Honka over Oleksiak merely because I think Honka’s PP help is the tie breaker between two guys who have otherwise been very disappointing.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The new sports writing service The Athletic published an article about Honka. It’s a good read. So far I like the work they’ve done, and the subscription is cheap (not plugola).

Dellow: NHL coaches aren't stupid — that seventh defenceman likely isn't a star

In short, he concludes Honka gets the easiest workload of any Stars d-man and Honka doesn’t actually personally contribute nearly as much as his rosy Corsi numbers would have you think. His main point is Honka isn’t being scratched because Hitch hates him. Honka is being scratched and sent down because he’s not that great.

It’s an interesting read, especially when it comes to looking closely at some starts and Corsi by going beyond the stats and watching a shirft to see what the player did or didn’t do to earn the stats awarded to him. An example is looking at the shifts that start with Honka going over the boards while the puck is in play and how he’s picked up a lot of Corsi for tallies from those shifts that largely come from the forwards on the ice having the puck while he’s done nothing but participate in a line change.

I guess it somewhat mirrors what I’ve seen from Honka, which is a guy who mostly sucks at defending, can make about one sensational pass a game while otherwise contributing very little to helping the team, and looks fairly decent on the PP. I still favor Honka over Oleksiak merely because I think Honka’s PP help is the tie breaker between two guys who have otherwise been very disappointing.

Big Rig not being a dwarf is the likely tie breaker. It was always going to be a long shot for Honka to be a somebody in the NHL.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
If it was my money and not Gagliardi's I would fire Hitchcock if they lose both of the next two games.

The personnel isn't going to magically change so some kind of statement needs to be made. I love Benn but his post-loss declarations aren't changing much.

Then at the 20 game mark next season we see it playing out the same way again, or if they fail to make the playoffs then I would send Nill packing too.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Doubts about the entire team are starting to creep in. At 20 games, they are what they will be, no?

I found myself wondering if they can be successful, with Nill having drafted for a Ruff type team, and then TG insisting on hiring Hitch? If Ruff was still here, would Honka be playing, or is Hitch right that he was just another marginal draft pick, not quite as good as even Jamie O?

Seems obvious you have to be really talented to score while playing D first, explaining the lack of secondary scoring.

D not fixed, even with Methot. Bishop and his 2.68GAA isn't that much better than Kari's 3.0 +/- GAA last year, although we figured it didn't have to get below 2.5 for Stars scoring to be enough. Neither side is improved much.

Maybe we should expect .500 play until they learn the system. But, in too many games, they don't even look competitive on the puck.

You can tell our excitement is turning to disappointment, too. Very few posts, very little on the game day threads. Log in via the main board and scroll just the Central Division boards, where all teams have more topics, more posts, and usually the last post in other threads is "Moments ago......"

I'll tell you how bad it is....gave away my Conner McDavid tickets for next Saturday, just not interested in fighting traffic to see Stars hockey right now. (also missed last weekend's 5-0 Islanders win, which might have restored my mojo a bit.)

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
My hope is waning as it looks like Nill's drafting is actually worse than Nieuwy's, and all of the roster spots he gave to kids have resulted in us learning those kids don't look very good.

I'd love to get mad about Honka not playing, but it's not like Honka looked all that good when he played. I freaked out about Ruff keeping Klingberg off the PP when Klingberg was first called up, but that's because of how awesome Klingberg looked playing 5 on 5. This hasn't been anything like that. When Honka has played, he's done very little with the puck, and without the puck he's made some freaking terrible defensive plays.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, there have been a few articles saying Honka hasn't been quite as good as some eye test criteria suggest. The dire ones suggest he has little upside in the NHL due to size. I still find that hard to believe, but understand he is still a work in progress.

The good news is, the last Stars young defenseman we had (as a group) penciled in as a failure seems to be doing pretty well this year (Johns) There is still hope for young Honka.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He had ample opportunity to show he was an NHLer. All he was good for was a little burst of speed and a fight here and there.

JCraw1

Jul 22, 2014
Weird question

Does anyone know what its like for a handicapped person at a Stars game. Me and my gf really want to go to a game but she has a broken foot. I went on ticketmaster for handicapped seating but it doesnt show anything available.

Basically just curious if we should bring crutches? Wheelchair? Not go at all?
She says she wouldnt get up and go to bathroom or anything. Would ushers find somewhere to put her crutches?

Never really thought about it...not sure if it varies from arena to arena or what.

Any advice would be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->