General Stars Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
While many are down on Johns, I see too much potential there to think anything other than our top three right hand D for many years will be Klingberg, Honka, Johns. Agree we may need long term LH D.

Mattias Backman shoots left, wonder if we will see him up here this year. Of course, like Nuke, there have been threats to go back home if not in NHL reported. Perhaps the trade of Jordie was a sign to him that next year was his year to come up, especially if we lose JO, DH, or Nemeth in the expansion draft. That would make some combo of Hamuis, Lindell, Jamie O, and Nemeth and Backman on the left?

Backman fights for the 7th spot and one of Jamie O and Nemeth are gone to Vegas.

As always, would love a stud D, but those don't get traded very often. We are stuck with mostly the kiddie corp on D, hopefully with a better goalie and a few more forwards, one to add to scoring, and one to play responsible D and PK>

First, what about this season would make a reasonable person think Vegas would take Oleksiak or Nemeth ahead of Hamhuis?

Second, if this team made one deadline move to accommodate freaking Backman I will rip my own face off.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
While many are down on Johns, I see too much potential there to think anything other than our top three right hand D for many years will be Klingberg, Honka, Johns. Agree we may need long term LH D.

I don't see much upside for Johns beyond what he already is, but I do think he's a great penalty killer and I'm totally comfortable with him getting 17-18 minutes a night.

Mattias Backman shoots left, wonder if we will see him up here this year. Of course, like Nuke, there have been threats to go back home if not in NHL reported. Perhaps the trade of Jordie was a sign to him that next year was his year to come up, especially if we lose JO, DH, or Nemeth in the expansion draft. That would make some combo of Hamuis, Lindell, Jamie O, and Nemeth and Backman on the left?

Backman fights for the 7th spot and one of Jamie O and Nemeth are gone to Vegas.

As always, would love a stud D, but those don't get traded very often. We are stuck with mostly the kiddie corp on D, hopefully with a better goalie and a few more forwards, one to add to scoring, and one to play responsible D and PK>

I think Backman is heading back to Europe at season's end, and I'm sad about that.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't see much upside for Johns beyond what he already is, but I do think he's a great penalty killer and I'm totally comfortable with him getting 17-18 minutes a night.

I think Backman is heading back to Europe at season's end, and I'm sad about that.

Johns is 25, but held back a bit by 4 years of college hockey and then not being able to crack Hawks NHL lineup due to depth. He cans skate, has some puck skills and is physical. His hockey sense lacks a bit, but by no means as bad as some we have seen, including Jamie O. (better recently, though) I presume he gets better at decision making and/or the coaches stress to him to stay in a simpler game coming up the ice and that he will learn.

Given that, and the fact that D reach prime later than forwards, I see hope. Maybe not top pair hope, maybe second pair potential, especially since JK needs a lefty on his other side. And, will probably drop behind Honka for second RH D, but would play higher on other teams.

As to whether LV would take Hamuis over some younger guys, that depends on whether the new team wants an instant reasonably competitive team now, or is looking long term with younger players. I haven't heard anything on what LV plans in that regard, and assumed he would figure a young team that could build to something in five years after accumulating high picks would be better. Could be wrong though.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Its his rookie season (not counting the 14 NHL games he played last year) and he is making rookie mistakes.

Rookie season and age 25 for D men is certainly not the prime of his career. If I was your waiter, I would both overcharge you and probably would have spit in your food!:sarcasm:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Johns is 25, but held back a bit by 4 years of college hockey and then not being able to crack Hawks NHL lineup due to depth. He cans skate, has some puck skills and is physical. His hockey sense lacks a bit, but by no means as bad as some we have seen, including Jamie O. (better recently, though) I presume he gets better at decision making and/or the coaches stress to him to stay in a simpler game coming up the ice and that he will learn.

Given that, and the fact that D reach prime later than forwards, I see hope. Maybe not top pair hope, maybe second pair potential, especially since JK needs a lefty on his other side. And, will probably drop behind Honka for second RH D, but would play higher on other teams.

As to whether LV would take Hamuis over some younger guys, that depends on whether the new team wants an instant reasonably competitive team now, or is looking long term with younger players. I haven't heard anything on what LV plans in that regard, and assumed he would figure a young team that could build to something in five years after accumulating high picks would be better. Could be wrong though.

I doubt the Dallas pick will be on Vegas' roster for any games if it is a defenseman. They will find 7 better defensemen than Oleksiak or Nemeth so it will come down to trade value. Remember we gave more for deadline Russell than a whole year of Spezza; Oleksiak or Nemeth would be the Jokipakka or Chiasson in those deals. A full year of Hamhuis will get them picks or prospects or NHL forwards and maybe all three.

When it comes to Johns, there's no pressure to do anything until we have a bunch of better defensemen than him. His competence or lack thereof isn't an issue because he makes under 800k.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Hi Dallas Stars fans! I am a Bruins fan in Canada and we had a beer promo that included Stanley Cup replica rings in the cases. Sadly, I never did find a Bruins ring but I have a Dallas Stars ring that I would like to give to a true fan.

If you are interested (completely free, no strings attached), I will take requests and pick a name after a week or so. All I need is a mailing address, which you can provide me if you are the chosen one. You can be from Canada or the U.S.

I did clear this with the mods, so please PM me if you want to be in on the draw.

Last day for the ring - I will PM the lucky fan tomorrow.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Dallas_zpsxiz7jgo2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of the ring. It is quite heavy too.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Johns is in the prime of his career and looks below average. Cheque please.

Johns's defensive coverage was always sketchy when I used to watch him on the T-Stars. I was pleasantly surprised and confused at how well he played in his first partial season and playoffs.

We haven't had a really good defenseman (emphasis on "defense") in years. The search goes on.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Johns's defensive coverage was always sketchy when I used to watch him on the T-Stars. I was pleasantly surprised and confused at how well he played in his first partial season and playoffs.

We haven't had a really good defenseman (emphasis on "defense") in years. The search goes on.

Heika did mention that the Stars could be looking at Alzner in the summer. Not that he's the greatest defenceman in the world, but he could be one of the better defensive defenceman that the Stars could get.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Heika did mention that the Stars could be looking at Alzner in the summer. Not that he's the greatest defenceman in the world, but he could be one of the better defensive defenceman that the Stars could get.

He'd be a good complement to someone like Klingberg, who is a tire fire out there at times defensively. I'd be ok with Alzner being here.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Wild Wild West, Jim Nill, desperado, rough rider
No you don't want nada
None of this, gun in this, brotha runnin this,
Dallas Stars soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any goalie that's in distress
Be out of that pads when he meet Jim Nill
Rough neck so go check the law and abide
Watch your step with flex and get a hole in your side
Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
You don't wanna see my hand where my cup be at,
With all of this, from the start of this,
Runnin the game, James Nill tamin the west so remember the name
Now who ya gonna call?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Lehtonen named the NHL'S 2nd star of the week!!!

I think it's safe to say Niemi is gone next year with the way things have gone this year

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
What an awkward time to heat up for Lehtonen.

It's not that surprising to me that once it was clear the Stars weren't going to be making the playoffs the pressure was off and Kari could just play his game with no stress.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's not that surprising to me that once it was clear the Stars weren't going to be making the playoffs the pressure was off and Kari could just play his game with no stress.

Indeed through all those bankruptcy years Dallas sucked Kari was lights out as soon as the team became better and there was more pressure Kari started to fall apart. To be a bit more fair to him his concussions didn't help either.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Kari could be the backup next year. Only problems with keeping him are

Salary
Inconsistency
Playoff Chokes/Mental Toughness (as noted above)

Now, I haven't studied his stats, and other goalies might lose 7-1, and follow with a shutout, etc. It seems like Kari is a bit more over the board with his slumps, though. New coach would have to pick and choose based on previous games, practices, etc. and hope to play Kari when he is "on" which is admittedly hard to do.

We could live with salary, because a buyout and replacement of both AN and KL would probably cost more. We can live with playoff chokes because, well, he shouldn't be playing unless our new starter is hurt.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I think I came up with the perfect backstory behind the division rivalry with the Avalanche.

Dallas and Denver during the 1980s were the settings to rival primetime soaps Dallas and Dynasty, respectively.

The Avalanche-Stars rivalry is a modern manifestation of that historical rivalry, given the teams represent the same cities.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Apparently the 2018 NHL Entry Draft will be in Dallas.

I definitely will be in attendance, should that hold true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad