General Stars Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It is going to be interesting when the team goes into next season trying to sell fans on the idea this season was merely a speed bump caused only by injuries. They're going to refer back to last season as where they expect to be again with everyone healthy. It's going to be interesting to compare the rosters and see twenty percent similarity.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hey, I'd like to be optimistic, but can't....

Benn - Seguin - xxx
Shore - Spezza - xxx
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
McKenzie - Eakin - xxx

Replacing Sharp, Eaves, Eakin (for sake of argument) is half a goal a game from last year.

My presumption (negative, I know) is Janmark and Spezza drop in production next year from 33/17 to 17/8 or 20 goals, a quarter goal a game.

Not to mention, the bottom six losses have hurt us - Fids, Scevior, Hemsky (about 20 goals and some great D/PK.

I don't see MacKenzie, Ritchie, DG, Shore, Dickenson, Other Austin Forward, Cracknell (if retained) getting much back on those 60 goals we lose over 2 years, although, I guess they only need to average 9-10 goals each, so maybe. Plus, the AHL guys will all contribute to inexperienced D, similar to our young D core this year, so they may play a part in giving up 20 more....

Whoever they get in UFA better be Sharp quality or higher.

And, I am not sure who we give up to get that mythical no. 1 goalie or D man, either.

So, short version, not optimistic based on the sheer numbers of players we have to replace. You have to put on rose color glasses on all the existing guys and new guys. Some will disappoint.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Hey, I'd like to be optimistic, but can't....

Benn - Seguin - xxx
Shore - Spezza - xxx
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
McKenzie - Eakin - xxx

Replacing Sharp, Eaves, Eakin (for sake of argument) is half a goal a game from last year.

My presumption (negative, I know) is Janmark and Spezza drop in production next year from 33/17 to 17/8 or 20 goals, a quarter goal a game.

Not to mention, the bottom six losses have hurt us - Fids, Scevior, Hemsky (about 20 goals and some great D/PK.

I don't see MacKenzie, Ritchie, DG, Shore, Dickenson, Other Austin Forward, Cracknell (if retained) getting much back on those 60 goals we lose over 2 years, although, I guess they only need to average 9-10 goals each, so maybe. Plus, the AHL guys will all contribute to inexperienced D, similar to our young D core this year, so they may play a part in giving up 20 more....

Whoever they get in UFA better be Sharp quality or higher.

And, I am not sure who we give up to get that mythical no. 1 goalie or D man, either.

So, short version, not optimistic based on the sheer numbers of players we have to replace. You have to put on rose color glasses on all the existing guys and new guys. Some will disappoint.

Well there's the trade deadline, exp draft, draft, and FA. So alot can happen between now and next season. I trust Nill, and I know he wants this team to get back to the playoffs

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Yeah. 33 and injury prone, I don't think he'll even get a multi year offer. I wouldn't even go 2 years.

I do think there might be just enough juice left to give some decent production on a 1 year buy low contract (which is what I expect him to sign somewhere).

If he gets a multi year offer, I'd bow out.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Yeah. 33 and injury prone, I don't think he'll even get a multi year offer. I wouldn't even go 2 years.

I do think there might be just enough juice left to give some decent production on a 1 year buy low contract (which is what I expect him to sign somewhere).

I think he'll want the security of a two year deal over a one year deal to take a cheaper salary. But that's just my thinking on that one.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

33, injury prone, only good for maybe one month a season... there are plenty of reason to not sign him.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Hi Dallas Stars fans! I am a Bruins fan in Canada and we had a beer promo that included Stanley Cup replica rings in the cases. Sadly, I never did find a Bruins ring but I have a Dallas Stars ring that I would like to give to a true fan.

If you are interested (completely free, no strings attached), I will take requests and pick a name after a week or so. All I need is a mailing address, which you can provide me if you are the chosen one. You can be from Canada or the U.S.

I did clear this with the mods, so please PM me if you want to be in on the draw.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
What happened to our avatars? Saving as much bandwidth for tomorrow as possible by not rendering any images?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What happened to our avatars? Saving as much bandwidth for tomorrow as possible by not rendering any images?

Yes. We've had some server issues as well.

Its not gone or anything, just not being displayed.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Let's take a look at the big haul from the fire sale and address the state of the franchise.

Gone:
Eaves (UFA)
Oduya (UFA)
Jordie Benn
Korpikoski (UFA)

Added:
2nd Rounder – Unlikely conditions move it to a first
4th Rounder
4th Rounder – Conditional, 2018
Greg Pateryn – Part time NHLer
Mark McNeill – AHLer
Dillon Heatherington

2017-2018 Roster
Guys under contract: 6 of 12 forwards, 4 of 6 d-men, both goalies :(

Benn – Seguin – XX
XXX – Spezza – XXX
Rousell – Eakin – XXX
XXX – Shore – XXX

Hamhuis – Klingberg
XXX - XXX
Pateryn - Johns

Lehtonen
Niemi

RFAs/UFAs
Restricted free agent forwards: Faksa, Ritchie, Janmark, McKenzi
Restricted free agent d-men: Oleksiak, Lindell, Nemeth
Restricted free agent goalies: none :(
UFA forwards: Sharp, Hemsky, Hudler, Cracknell
UFA d-men: none
UFA Goalies: none :(

Upcoming drafts
2017 Draft: 1, 2, 2 (Ana – cond.), 3, 4, 4 (Mtl), 5, 6, 7
2018 Draft: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 (Chi – cond.), 5, 6, 7

Anyone feeling optimistic?

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
but no

im not optimistic about this team. havent been since prior to how we handled our goalie/defense situation.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So Korpikoski for Dillon Heatherington . Defensive Prospect no idea who that is.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd say we need to be big players in FA, but the crop of available players looks pretty terrible.

Faksa, Ritchie, and Janmark will be returning. Ideally, Nichushkin will too. Wouldn't mind re-signing Hemsky either. Leaves us with one spot open on the wing.

Vrbata, Radulov, Oshie, Vanek, Eaves, Marleau, Williams, Sharp, and Jagr are all UFAs. I'd expect us to sign one of them. Radulov and Oshie would be nice, but will probably demand 6M per or more.

Outside of that, Shattenkirk and Bonino are the only other players I'd be interested in. Maybe we could move Eakin and replace him with Bonino? Shattenkirk isn't what we need, either.

Looks like we'll have some good options for UFA goalies, but nothing definitive.

Our biggest addition needs to be a new coaching staff. Everyone behind the bench needs to go. I think that'll go a long way, if we can get the right guy, but the available coaches don't inspire me all that much. Wanted Julien, but we've obviously missed that train. Honestly have no clue who else we could go out and grab.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Obviously we could use him, but right-handed offensive defenders are probably what we're doing the best in on defense (I'm not saying its good, though).

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Klingberg
Honka
Johns -> not very good
Pateryn -> bottom pair / #7
Hansson -> come to NA next yr?
Stenqvist -> years away
Cecconi -> no
Karjalainen -> no

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Let's take a look at the big haul from the fire sale and address the state of the franchise.

Gone:
Eaves (UFA)
Oduya (UFA)
Jordie Benn
Korpikoski (UFA)

Added:
2nd Rounder – Unlikely conditions move it to a first
4th Rounder
4th Rounder – Conditional, 2018
Greg Pateryn – Part time NHLer
Mark McNeill – AHLer
Dillon Heatherington

2017-2018 Roster
Guys under contract: 6 of 12 forwards, 4 of 6 d-men, both goalies :(

Benn – Seguin – XX
XXX – Spezza – XXX
Rousell – Eakin – XXX
XXX – Shore – XXX

Hamhuis – Klingberg
XXX - XXX
Pateryn - Johns

Lehtonen
Niemi

RFAs/UFAs
Restricted free agent forwards: Faksa, Ritchie, Janmark, McKenzi
Restricted free agent d-men: Oleksiak, Lindell, Nemeth
Restricted free agent goalies: none :(
UFA forwards: Sharp, Hemsky, Hudler, Cracknell
UFA d-men: none
UFA Goalies: none :(

Upcoming drafts
2017 Draft: 1, 2, 2 (Ana – cond.), 3, 4, 4 (Mtl), 5, 6, 7
2018 Draft: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 (Chi – cond.), 5, 6, 7

Anyone feeling optimistic?

Klingberg
Honka
Johns -> not very good
Pateryn -> bottom pair / #7
Hansson -> come to NA next yr?
Stenqvist -> years away
Cecconi -> no
Karjalainen -> no

Borrowing Troy's post to answer Satan's. Where does RHD fit in our hierarchy of needs? I think we are all in favor of having many really good defensemen, but the problem is our resources are limited.

Shattenkirk is not coming here anyway, but the priority should be goalie fix first, then a left shot defenseman, then some kind of forward help like Hemsky/Eaves/Hulder. Shattenkirk would be such an investment of cap space that I'm not sure we could expect to do any of those things and also bring him onboard.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Borrowing Troy's post to answer Satan's. Where does RHD fit in our hierarchy of needs? I think we are all in favor of having many really good defensemen, but the problem is our resources are limited.

Shattenkirk is not coming here anyway, but the priority should be goalie fix first, then a left shot defenseman, then some kind of forward help like Hemsky/Eaves/Hulder. Shattenkirk would be such an investment of cap space that I'm not sure we could expect to do any of those things and also bring him onboard.

Yeah that's how I see it

1 - Goalie or Goalies :handclap:
2 - top 4 LHD
3 - PK help
4 - scoring wingers

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
While many are down on Johns, I see too much potential there to think anything other than our top three right hand D for many years will be Klingberg, Honka, Johns. Agree we may need long term LH D.

Mattias Backman shoots left, wonder if we will see him up here this year. Of course, like Nuke, there have been threats to go back home if not in NHL reported. Perhaps the trade of Jordie was a sign to him that next year was his year to come up, especially if we lose JO, DH, or Nemeth in the expansion draft. That would make some combo of Hamuis, Lindell, Jamie O, and Nemeth and Backman on the left?

Backman fights for the 7th spot and one of Jamie O and Nemeth are gone to Vegas.

As always, would love a stud D, but those don't get traded very often. We are stuck with mostly the kiddie corp on D, hopefully with a better goalie and a few more forwards, one to add to scoring, and one to play responsible D and PK>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad