OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Has anyone here ever done an escape/puzzle room? I'll be doing "A very Potter Escape room" tomorrow.
I did one not too long ago. I believe there were 10 total people, with four that my group didn't know. It was alright. The biggest negative I thought was that you couldn't really be involved in everything. Everyone is scrambling looking for clues, then all of a sudden something happens on the other side of the room, and you have no idea what the clue or solution was. Still entertaining enough to do it once, but it's not something I would rush back to do again.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I did one not too long ago. I believe there were 10 total people, with four that my group didn't know. It was alright. The biggest negative I thought was that you couldn't really be involved in everything. Everyone is scrambling looking for clues, then all of a sudden something happens on the other side of the room, and you have no idea what the clue or solution was. Still entertaining enough to do it once, but it's not something I would rush back to do again.
So far we're the only two booked out of the 10 possible... hopefully the group stays small then?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So far we're the only two booked out of the 10 possible... hopefully the group stays small then?
I feel like it would be pretty difficult with two though. I think ideal is probably in the 4-6 range? Could depend on the actual place though.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Booked a trip to London with the gf. Only 33 days!
Thought it said 33$ and was wondering if your pilot was this guy
monkey-pilot.jpg

Reactions: Lapa

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I feel like it would be pretty difficult with two though. I think ideal is probably in the 4-6 range? Could depend on the actual place though.
Yeah, around 4-6 was what I was estimating for a "small group"
Yup. I did one in downtown and it was a lot of fun. Hopefully you have a talkative group! It helps.
Well I know us two are talkative for sure... so there's that. The online booking period for our timeslot is over so no idea if anyone else has booked for the same timeslot since we did. I know I was hoping for a group of less than the max of 10...

I've heard good things about this particular escape room. Harry Potter fans love it, but also say knowledge of the series of books/movies isn't required to solve it, though it does add a lot to the experience with all the nods/easter eggs thrown in.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Have fun Lapa! I just booked my vacation to Sydney in November. So looking forward to it. My last continent to touch!!

Thanks, you too!

I went to Sydney in 2009. Beautiful place with lots to do.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice! I loved London. Really cool city. Where are you staying?

In Tavistock. Found a cheap but okay hotel. We just sleep there, so it doesn't have to be that great :laugh:

I've been to London once before a few years ago. Still a lot I haven't seen.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
In Tavistock. Found a cheap but okay hotel. We just sleep there, so it doesn't have to be that great :laugh:

I've been to London once before a few years ago. Still a lot I haven't seen.
Oh cool, we stayed at The Walrus Pub/hostel just south of the Thames, right by the big Waterloo Underground station. It was... rustic. :laugh: But for like 12 pounds a night, we didn't complain lol. Just needed beds.

If you're a museum/history guy, and haven't checked out the museum scene there, I'd definitely recommend it. We went to the British Museum (which you will be very close to). That was definitely really cool, but my favorite was the Imperial War Museum. It was incredible, truly.

I fancy myself a bit of a history buff, especially when it comes to military history, so it was totally in my wheelhouse. There are 5 floors to the museum. Bottom floor is WWI and 2nd floor is WWII. We were there for damn near 3-4 hours one day and only got through the WWI floor. Being an American, I'm much less familiar with WWI than I am with WWII, so it was really fascinating. And it's free! If you have a rainy day I'd highly recommend it.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If you're a museum/history guy, and haven't checked out the museum scene there, I'd definitely recommend it. We went to the British Museum (which you will be very close to). That was definitely really cool, but my favorite was the Imperial War Museum. It was incredible, truly.

I fancy myself a bit of a history buff, especially when it comes to military history, so it was totally in my wheelhouse. There are 5 floors to the museum. Bottom floor is WWI and 2nd floor is WWII. We were there for damn near 3-4 hours one day and only got through the WWI floor. Being an American, I'm much less familiar with WWI than I am with WWII, so it was really fascinating. And it's free! If you have a rainy day I'd highly recommend it.

We're actually planning on going to British Museum and the Imperial War Museum. I'm a bit of history buff as well. :laugh:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
We're actually planning on going to British Museum and the Imperial War Museum. I'm a bit of history buff as well. :laugh:
Nice! The British Museum has the Rosetta Stone, which is pretty cool to see. But yeah, I could have killed two whole days in that Imperial War Museum. The Holocaust/WWII floor is obviously pretty heavy, but very well done.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just got home from the very Potter escape room... it was fun as hell! We ended up being the only two there, but that was completely awesome, we were able to teamwork every puzzle ourselves, which as we discovered more items and clues, because we were involved in finding them all, we remembered the items needed when the time came. I think it was better that it was just the two of us instead of a larger group. We may not have been able to associate items to the puzzles at hand as seamlessly had we not been directly involved in their discovery.

I'd definitely recommend it to others! Also, sounds like they're going to have a game of thrones themed escape room soon, I'll definitely be checking that one out down the road!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Just got home from the very Potter escape room... it was fun as hell! We ended up being the only two there, but that was completely awesome, we were able to teamwork every puzzle ourselves, which as we discovered more items and clues, because we were involved in finding them all, we remembered the items needed when the time came. I think it was better that it was just the two of us instead of a larger group. We may not have been able to associate items to the puzzles at hand as seamlessly had we not been directly involved in their discovery.

I'd definitely recommend it to others! Also, sounds like they're going to have a game of thrones themed escape room soon, I'll definitely be checking that one out down the road!

Was the HP escape room just HP-themed, or did it require some knowledge of the HP universe to solve the puzzles?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just watched Solo: A Star Wars Story

Alden Ehrenreich absolutely hit it out of the park!

I didn't think I'd ever be able to see anyone else as Han Solo, and when the film started, it felt a but odd seeing him try. Sometime around the 30 minute mark though, that odd feeling went away, and by the time the film was done I realised I wasn't watching someone try to play Han Solo, all I saw in the film at all was Han Solo himself!

I was really impressed with what he did! I hope he gets another chance down the road to expand the legend of Han Solo on the big screen even more!

Loved the film!

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Those escape rooms sound like fun.

But I can't escape my angry 12yo daughter, so not sure I have any chance in one of those games. :help:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice! The British Museum has the Rosetta Stone, which is pretty cool to see. But yeah, I could have killed two whole days in that Imperial War Museum. The Holocaust/WWII floor is obviously pretty heavy, but very well done.

Sounds exactly what we're interested in. Have to check it out!

We also might go check Tower of London. Last time I went to London we just visited the yard, but didn't tour the castle itself.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Anyone else have a neighbor who always complains about something you did, but turns around and wants you to help them out at the same time? I have a elderly couple against the street from me whose children/grandchildren live a few hours away so they can't rely on them for help around the house. I try to power wash my driveway each spring to get all the grime off and I always offer to do theirs the same day. A family moved in last fall in the house next to me and the wife likes to complain a lot about little stuff. Well guess who wanted their driveway washed?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anyone else have a neighbor who always complains about something you did, but turns around and wants you to help them out at the same time? I have a elderly couple against the street from me whose children/grandchildren live a few hours away so they can't rely on them for help around the house. I try to power wash my driveway each spring to get all the grime off and I always offer to do theirs the same day. A family moved in last fall in the house next to me and the wife likes to complain a lot about little stuff. Well guess who wanted their driveway washed?

I guess me!!! So when can ya be over? :nod:

Thankfully, I can't say I have that problem with my neighbors. I'm the white trash/redneck of the neighborhood so I would be the ones getting complaints. Seriously I'm the guy with 2 non-running vehicles in my driveway, one of them up on blocks. I wait a couple of days too long to mow my grass. I wear a pair of overalls because the wife said I ruined 3 too many pairs of my "goin' in to town pants". I live in the city and own a friggin tractor (for no real reason); not a riding lawnmower (I have one of those too).

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I get through London about 8 times a year and more recently I've actually gotten to see and do some things rather than just there for work. Do not skip the Churchill War Rooms when you go to the Imperial War Museums, really cool and so much to see and learn. If you want food recommendations, I tend to eat at a lot of cool places there :thumbu:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I get through London about 8 times a year and more recently I've actually gotten to see and do some things rather than just there for work. Do not skip the Churchill War Rooms when you go to the Imperial War Museums, really cool and so much to see and learn. If you want food recommendations, I tend to eat at a lot of cool places there :thumbu:

All food recommendations are welcome. We'll probably eat at Barbecoa which looks like a nice restaurant, but that's about all we have planned so far. :D

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I have a feeling getting Diamond Status with Delta isn't going to be an issue this year lol. Have 2 Euro trips, 1 to Australia and 3 to Brazil lined up. Good bye social life for the rest of the year basically.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad