OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
TV is light years ahead of Hollywood, and has been for damn near a decade, IMO.

Agreed...

One of the best shows on TV is one hardly anyone watches too - The Americans is on its last season right now and it's great. When it comes to 'watching' things I always start thinking of tv shows before any recent movies...Game of Thrones, Americans, Justified, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Black Mirror, Sherlock, Luther, Broadchurch.

Some of those are obviously older, and some have better seasons here or there, but really well done.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've heard mixed reviews from some people. Horrible customer service and only 4 movies per month?
The only 4 movies a month thing is only if you sign up right now while they're doing the iheart radio combo deal.

Myself, I'm on an unlimited plan. The only limitation I have is I can't see the same movie more than once. I can see 1 movie every day otherwise.

As for customer service... I've never needed to contact them for anything. Everything has worked so seamlessly since I signed up last September.

When I initially signed up I was paying just under $10/month... but in December, they did a limited time offer of $6.95/mo if you signed up for the annual plan. They made that deal available to current subscribers first, so I jumped at it. So now I'm paid up for the entire year for even less than their standard price.

I've seen 18 movies since the start of 2018, and I've seen 31 movies total with MoviePass since the begging of last september. Add in the theater rewards free tickets I earn at an exponential rate - which I then use for upcharge screens that MoviePass won't pay for (ie I saw Infinity War on Lakeville's Monster screen which has a $2 upcharge, thus is ineligible for moviepass, but I used my free ticket I earned from Lakeville theater to pay for it instead), and I'm probably around 40-45 movies that I've seen since I got MoviePass!

Last edited:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Hmm I will have to look at it more I guess. I can afford to see quite a few movies a month, but at 17.75 for a ticket no thanks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hmm I will have to look at it more I guess. I can afford to see quite a few movies a month, but at 17.75 for a ticket no thanks.
Yeah, MoviePass + a quality theater rewards/loyalty program = LOTS of movies for VERY cheap!

Emagine Lakeville also has a refillable bucket that you can buy for $15 that is good for 6 months. It's 130oz bucket, and you get 1 free fillup per day with it...

The only thing I pay for is my drink, which suddenly I don't mind the overpriced nature of that drink... thus it costs me only $4 to see a movie these days, no matter if it's matinee or primetime!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They're opening a Alamo Drafthouse in my hometown that I want to visit this summer. Otherwise I go to AMC or Marcus ones.
I avoid AMC like the plague... they're like the McDonalds of movie theaters and treat their customers as fast food customers are treated...

Marcus isn't bad, but Emagine (formerly Muller Family Theaters) is my favorite.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've been thinking of getting the movie pass thing for myself. I'm the type that gets a movie ticket and then goes and finds a seat without any concessions. So it sounds great for me. Even if the movie isn't any good at least I'd get a nice little nap.

But the wife would want me to get her one too and she's a $20+ concession order for every movie.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've been thinking of getting the movie pass thing for myself. I'm the type that gets a movie ticket and then goes and finds a seat without any concessions. So it sounds great for me. Even if the movie isn't any good at least I'd get a nice little nap.

But the wife would want me to get her one too and she's a $20+ concession order for every movie.
That's a great thing about MoviePass, you aren't so concerned about going to a movie and it turns out bad.

When spending $10 on a ticket, you hate to spend it on a bad film, thus you get ultra picky on what to see, paying close attention to reviews etc. Sometimes missing the hidden gems as a result. With MoviePass covering the ticket, you just go to whatever looks interesting, if a movie turns out bad, oh well, no big deal.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I heard places were starting to get really tight about those types of passes being used. I take it no??

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I heard places were starting to get really tight about those types of passes being used. I take it no??
Nope. It's basically a MasterCard, so the only way for them to block it is for them to not accept MasterCard.

If MoviePass says it works at a theater, it does, no doubt about it.

Like I said, I've never had problem using it.

Btw, saw Bad Samaritan today... very good movie! This was one of those films I would've missed without MoviePass.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's hollywood that hates it the most. Instead of making 1b$ they make 999999999$.
Right now they are making even more, because MoviePass is fronting the entire ticket price themselves.

They hope that with a large enough customer base, they can sign deals with marketers and with studios, but that hasn't happened as of yet... So right now Hollywood is actually making even more money because of how often MoviePass subscribers go to the theater.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Right now they are making even more, because MoviePass is fronting the entire ticket price themselves.

They hope that with a large enough customer base, they can sign deals with marketers and with studios, but that hasn't happened as of yet... So right now Hollywood is actually making even more money because of how often MoviePass subscribers go to the theater.
So how is MoviePass making money?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So how is MoviePass making money?
Right now they're not. They are investing in their business model... if it ultimately fails, at least I am getting to see a ton of movies for cheap, if it succeeds, then I get to CONTINUE to see a ton of movies for cheap.

Either way, I come out far ahead!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Heard that MP stocks plummeted and a lot of theaters are pulling out.
Not sure what you mean by "theaters pulling out" as they aren't "in" or "out" to begin with. If they accept mastercard, and movie pass itself says the theater is available, there's not much the "theater" can do.

I remember AMC said they wouldn't accept movie pass... and if you went to the box office, for a time, the cashiers were told to refuse those cards... yet the people would then just walk over to automated kiosk and use their movie pass right in plain sight of that same cashier and get their ticket without a problem.

It's purely up to moviepass on what theaters the card will work at.

EDIT: looks like MP has reinstated the $9.95/mo unlimited plan again, no longer the 4 movie restriction option they were forcing new people to sign up for recently.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was cancelled :(

pzzmdJ1.png

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Not sure what you mean by "theaters pulling out" as they aren't "in" or "out" to begin with. If they accept mastercard, and movie pass itself says the theater is available, there's not much the "theater" can do.

I remember AMC said they wouldn't accept movie pass... and if you went to the box office, for a time, the cashiers were told to refuse those cards... yet the people would then just walk over to automated kiosk and use their movie pass right in plain sight of that same cashier and get their ticket without a problem.

It's purely up to moviepass on what theaters the card will work at.

EDIT: looks like MP has reinstated the $9.95/mo unlimited plan again, no longer the 4 movie restriction option they were forcing new people to sign up for recently.
They reported stocks fell 40% and the company has been losing money for almost 2 weeks straight.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They reported stocks fell 40% and the company has been losing money for almost 2 weeks straight.
MoviePass has never made money. They aren't the first company to say that.

Amazon bled money for over a decade before it even had it's first ever break even quarter.

I wasn't questioning that part of your post anyway, I was just wondering what you meant by "theaters are pulling out"? There's nothing for theaters to pull out from. As long as MoviePass continues operations, and the card is getting money put into it by MoviePass when used, as long as the theater accepts MasterCard, they accept MoviePass. MoviePass chooses the theaters, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad