OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Is Ferguson still the late late guy on CBS?

I used to watch him quite a lot. Loved the bits with Geoff, his robot skeleton band leader. :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh no, he's done now-since 2014, i think? Did you see the one where his mother meets the guy from the Wu Tang clan?:laugh:

Not a big fan of the robot...kinda creepy.

Let's have an awkward silence...

WildNorway

Jan 13, 2017
Turned out that the NHL package to my television, also included NFL, and so i watched Vikings - atlanta and here is some of my observations.

Obeservation 1: I dont understand a single rule, why isnt it allowed to floor people in a certain way? Is there any difference in flooring people?
Observation 2: NFL is slow, so much stoppage in the play, players doesnt even get sweat.
Observation 3: so much dumb haircuts, almost worse than soccerplayers.
Observation 4: "Fights", LOL
Observation 5: So much Gatorade, doesnt anyone of them drink water?
Observation 6: why is almost every referee fat?
Observation 7: yellow beanbags????

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
By "floor" do you mean block? Or put people on the ground? I know the Vikes had either a chop block or clipping penalty called. The rules around that are all for safety reasons. There's a relatively high risk of a serious knee injury when blocking low like that.

While the NFL is slow with a ton of breaks between plays, the claim that they don't sweat is not at all true. I think you're underestimating the amount of work blocking with pads on is (the key being with pads).

Gatorade is a sponsor. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those bottles actually just hold water.

I don't know why flags are yellow beanbag type of things. I wonder how that started. It kinda makes sense because it's easy to see.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Observation 6: why is almost every referee fat?
Ed Hochuli would like a word. Dude is built like a tank. :laugh:

FST_Post_Ed_Hochuli.jpg

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Happy independence day of Finland to everyone here :) 100 years and more to come.
tumblr_opp7md5lf21spx4u4o1_400.gif

What is Independence Day like in Finland? Obviously being in the winter, it's probably a lot different than the American Independence Day activities of grilling, being outside, fireworks, etc.

What are some of the traditions for you guys?

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
You know, the usual, Nazis demostrating, people demostrating because nazis are demostrating.
Watching war movies, watching people shaking hands with the President

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
What is Independence Day like in Finland? Obviously being in the winter, it's probably a lot different than the American Independence Day activities of grilling, being outside, fireworks, etc.

What are some of the traditions for you guys?
Are Finland's fireworks awkward and really don't know why type noise or color to make? :sarcasm:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
couldn't find the what ya drinkin thread just back from florida and a tampa bay brewing pale ale you should try is REEF DONKEY apa. (if you haven't already) i wanted to ask has anyone else had a newer tv only last 3 1/2 years? my samsung went all matrix on me. luckily right before black friday so i got a good deal $600 on a replacement but im still ticked.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
couldn't find the what ya drinkin thread just back from florida and a tampa bay brewing pale ale you should try is REEF DONKEY apa. (if you haven't already) i wanted to ask has anyone else had a newer tv only last 3 1/2 years? my samsung went all matrix on me. luckily right before black friday so i got a good deal $600 on a replacement but im still ticked.
My parents bought a Vizio a few years ago and it sucked. I really think they just got a lemon. Because my roommate and I had the exact same TV and it was perfectly fine.

But there's, when it was only a year old, started freezing randomly. The picture would freeze, but the audio kept going. The only way to fix it was to go and unplug it. After a year or two of enduring that, they finally broke down and got a new Samsung last year around the Super Bowl.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
There are pretty good deals on TV's almost all year long these days. Obviously it all depends on what you want and what you want to end up paying for it. You can get a really good (big) TV for ~$500 typically. There was a 65" Hisense (smaller brand name obviously) 4K UHD on sale at best buy the other night for $479.99 I think. I'm not a genius when it comes to what's really good and what's not, but I typically check out comments to see what the general consensus is. SlickDeals is a great place to check for those types of deals on them.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i tried target , best buy & amazon advertised $499 but cyber mon morning all sold out. got mine on ebay for $600 samsung 55" 4k uhd. whats crazy is i wanted to upgrade my room tv a samsung thats about 7 years old 32" kinda flat screen maybe 6" thick and puts out a ton of heat but works fine (knock on wood my coconut head)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I bought an HDR 4k Samsung last year around Black Friday. Sadly, most of what I watch is sports, so I don't even get much benefit out of what it can do. Very nice TV though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My kid had a 6 team tournament this weekend with a format that I can't stand; especially in noncompetitive pools. I understand why they use this setup, but don't like it.
Games are worth a max of 7 points in pool play:
-3 for a win (tie worth 1)
-1 for each period "win"
-1 for a shutout

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
My kid had a 6 team tournament this weekend with a format that I can't stand; especially in noncompetitive pools. I understand why they use this setup, but don't like it.
Games are worth a max of 7 points in pool play:
-3 for a win (tie worth 1)
-1 for each period "win"
-1 for a shutout
My boy played in a few of those in his younger years. Beyond dumb. The only thing worse is when they reward total goals.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My boy played in a few of those in his younger years. Beyond dumb. The only thing worse is when they reward total goals.

Total goals/score differential was the 3rd or 4th tie breaker. Penalty minutes was the 2nd tiebreaker; which is just as bad if you have some strict refs and some that lets the kids play.

I know they need tiebreakers in a round robin format, but I really hate that good sportsmanship might end up costing teams in the end.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Leafs just practiced at the outdoor rink in Rice Park here, saw it on Twitter so I ran down there and caught 15 minutes of them playing 3 on 3. Babcock is fun to watch when they're having fun and playing loose in practice. I really wanted to chirp Kadri as he was 10 feet away but I restrained myself

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Leafs just practiced at the outdoor rink in Rice Park here, saw it on Twitter so I ran down there and caught 15 minutes of them playing 3 on 3. Babcock is fun to watch when they're having fun and playing loose in practice. I really wanted to chirp Kadri as he was 10 feet away but I restrained myself
Whaaaaat? I'm a few blocks away, I would have stopped down over lunch if I knew they'd be there.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Whaaaaat? I'm a few blocks away, I would have stopped down over lunch if I knew they'd be there.

Yeah I just saw a retweet of it and threw on a coat and walked down from Lowertown. It was cool but so damn cold, too. They had local high school goalies playing in the 3 on 3, which was neat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->