OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
If you like jimmy Carr you should watch some British panel shows he does, like 8 out of 10 cats and big fat quiz of the year. They’re on YouTube and are great.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Just booked the flights to go down to Phoenix and watch the Wild play down there on March 1st!

I was down there last year when we played there and it was a ton of fun. Happy to be going again this year! Family down there, so we get to kill two birds with one stone, visit them and go watch the Wild play. :D

Reactions: Wild11MN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Got my opening night Star Wars tickets, exclusive content, collectible trading cards and free popcorn and drinks!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The Leafs last GDT went to 1500 posts so with the switch locking at 1k isnt needed, I guess. Are we still going to lock OT's at 1k or let them live? Meaning no need to number them anymore.
Yeah, I think locking at 1k might be antiquated, with this new forum software? But I think I still like the idea. Mega-threads are already kind of cumbersome, IMO. Take the Granlund thread for example, that's on version what, 7? So if we didn't lock at 1k, it would be at like 7,000+ posts.

For live stuff like GDTs I wouldn't care, but for threads that go on for months (or even years), I think different threads every 1k is good for splitting things up.

What do you guys think? Like the idea of continuing to lock at 1k, and starting new threads, or no?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I think locking at 1k might be antiquated, with this new forum software? But I think I still like the idea. Mega-threads are already kind of cumbersome, IMO. Take the Granlund thread for example, that's on version what, 7? So if we didn't lock at 1k, it would be at like 7,000+ posts.

For live stuff like GDTs I wouldn't care, but for threads that go on for months (or even years), I think different threads every 1k is good for splitting things up.

What do you guys think? Like the idea of continuing to lock at 1k, and starting new threads, or no?
What is the benefit of splitting things up? I'm on several forums and see threads in 100k+ posts in size and see no problems with it.

Besides, if we were to stop making new threads for this, how awesome is it that it just happened to be #42? :laugh:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I think I still like the idea of splitting up the General OT thread at the very least. It's sort of a tradition.

As for other threads, we haven't needed multiple GDT's for the same game in years so that's never been a problem anyway.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Just got a parking ticket. Within 5 feet of a crosswalk? My ass. I was at least 6 feet away. I'll fight you to the death Office of Parking Violations.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Just got a parking ticket. Within 5 feet of a crosswalk? My ass. I was at least 6 feet away. I'll fight you to the death Office of Parking Violations.
That's a thing? I had no idea you couldn't park within 5 feet of a crosswalk.

Is that a national law or just a Minnesota thing? I recently moved to MN and got my license transferred but I don't remember seeing anything about that in the rulebook.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

I think I got one within like 10 feet of a crosswalk in St. Paul. I know it was something ridiculous.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
That's a thing? I had no idea you couldn't park within 5 feet of a crosswalk.

Is that a national law or just a Minnesota thing? I recently moved to MN and got my license transferred but I don't remember seeing anything about that in the rulebook.

It might be city-to-city. Still, ridiculous.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
If you like jimmy Carr you should watch some British panel shows he does, like 8 out of 10 cats and big fat quiz of the year. They’re on YouTube and are great.

Indeed. The 8 out 10 Cats after his tax thing came out is fantastic. He takes it so well.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
In St. Paul they are suppose to have a painted yellow line 15-20ft from the end of a curb. I have only seen a handful since the paint wears off quickly.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
In St. Paul they are suppose to have a painted yellow line 15-20ft from the end of a curb. I have only seen a handful since the paint wears off quickly.

Yep, called in about the ticket - Apparently parking 20 feet away from crosswalks is a Minnesota state law.

I've been parking within 20 feet of crosswalks for 3+ years at my current job.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
When I lived in Duluth people would park literal inches from stop signs and driveways and intersections and never got ticketed. I just wish enforcement was consistent through the state.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I learned something new about google maps. If you scroll far enough out it'll take you into space. They have some of the planets and the space station (with a street view type of navigation) that can be explored.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yep, called in about the ticket - Apparently parking 20 feet away from crosswalks is a Minnesota state law.

I've been parking within 20 feet of crosswalks for 3+ years at my current job.

Yeah, mine was probably like 15 feet then. I mean, seriously, for what reason should I have to park 20 feet away from a crosswalk?

St. Paul cracks down on it hard.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, mine was probably like 15 feet then. I mean, seriously, for what reason should I have to park 20 feet away from a crosswalk?

St. Paul cracks down on it hard.

No clue. 20 feet away from a crosswalk; 10 feet away from a fire hydrant. Seems completely backwards to me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No clue. 20 feet away from a crosswalk; 10 feet away from a fire hydrant. Seems completely backwards to me.

So the city should put fire hydrants 30 ft from a crosswalk, effectively making it a 40 ft no parking zone.

20 ft really isn't that far away, it's basically the length of a full size extended cap pickup truck. It could be for safety reasons, it's hard to see around a some vehicles if you're trying to cross a street, especially for kids that are walking somewhere. Pedestrians annoy me as a driver, most seem to be oblivious to the world with their heads buried in their phones.

I just looked up some dumb laws for MN:
1. A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.
2. It is illegal to sleep naked.
3. Oral sex is prohibited.
4. All bathtubs must not have feet.
5. Red cars may not drive down Lake Street (Minneapolis).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
So the city should put fire hydrants 30 ft from a crosswalk, effectively making it a 40 ft no parking zone.

I just looked up some dumb laws for MN:
1. A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.
2. It is illegal to sleep naked.
3. Oral sex is prohibited.
4. All bathtubs must not have feet.
5. Red cars may not drive down Lake Street (Minneapolis).

Fun game: I've broken 2/5 of these laws. Guess which ones! :naughty: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad