OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Btw, had surgery on a mild hernia yesterday morning... ugh does it ever suck to have your core muscle group cut open... not so much the pain, just general soreness, weakness and seemingly constant exhaustion.

Getting up from a chair, normally such a simple task, suddenly takes careful planning and deliberate execution.

I feel ya. I think I broke a rib twice this summer once on each side. A doctor cant do anything about it so never went. First one about 4-5 weeks to heal and the second Im on week 3 right now. The first week it's horrible being in bed. Rolling around and getting outta bed. Sucks only being able to sleep on one side for 4ish weeks. On top of that I have a blue collar physical job. Funny, cause i grew up being a chicken to do anything physical in fear of getting hurt. Now at 27 I have freak things happen. First thing: falling off the slide at the playground playing tag with one son. Second climbing up the shelfs at Walmart to get diapers for the other son. :laugh: I cant believe myself.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm looking forward to seeing American Assassin...interested to see how they turn one of Vince Flynn's books into a film.

I did not realize it was being made into a movie until I saw the preview. I just read American Assasin a couple of years ago and thought it was solid read.

Keaton as Stan Hurley should be good because I can see him as this gruff, Cold War relic that's also a total badass. I heard they backed the Brinks truck up to Chris Hemsworth's house to get him to play Mitch Rapp, but he had scheduling conflicts. Not too familiar with the other guy playing Rapp but I'm willing to give it a try. Has the potential to be a decent flick.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I never get scared by horror films. Also, most horror films have horrible writing...IT though has spectacular source material! Possibly the best book King has written. Love the book, love the old tv miniseries, and love the new film! Can't wait for the next chapter!

Btw, had surgery on a mild hernia yesterday morning... ugh does it ever suck to have your core muscle group cut open... not so much the pain, just general soreness, weakness and seemingly constant exhaustion.

Getting up from a chair, normally such a simple task, suddenly takes careful planning and deliberate execution.

Yeah... Anything to do with that region of my body I'd rather not have bad things happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Did you get sliced open or get laparoscopic surgery done? I had laparoscopic done ~15 years ago, and it took me months to recover fully. The first 2 weeks were the worst, so I feel your pain.

Rest up and heal up. :)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Did you get sliced open or get laparoscopic surgery done? I had laparoscopic done ~15 years ago, and it took me months to recover fully. The first 2 weeks were the worst, so I feel your pain.

Rest up and heal up. :)

Actual incision. Sliced open. I'm sure the strength returning will take a lot longer than the 4-6 weeks they say for full recovery, but that's the timeline for being able to return to full activity without restrictions.

What sucks most, I've been working extensively on lifestyle changes this year. Started in April, counting every calorie, choosing low fat and low sodium food choices, and working out...I started out at 30 mins/day 4-5 days per week, had gotten it up to 40 mins/day over the past few weeks. I'm down 48lbs now since I started. Was 225, am down to 177 (targeting 165). I know I'm going to lose momentum during recovery here... unable to workout, and having to be too much of a vegetable just laying around.

I took this week off work, next week I was already off until Friday (I work a compressed work week, 3 12hr shifts one week, 4 the next - Thursday through Saturday and every other Wednesday) because I'm going to the preseason game Thursday.

What will really be interesting is not going back to work next Friday, but how I pull off tailgating for the Vikings vs Bucs game that Sunday AFTER working 12hrs overnight, getting off work at 6am like normal, and tailgating by 7am like I do for every Sunday home game.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, coming home from the game tonight, heading south on 3 towards Farmington... come up on a white f350 going slightly under the speed limit. We come up on a passing zone, so I turn on my blinker, move over and pass. No big deal right? Apparently this guy has an ego bigger than his truck!

After I pass, he turns on his brights and accelerates to tailgate me (which I just laugh at and shrug off, I have electrochromatic mirrors so he's not blinding me like he thinks anyway so whatever gets him off). I just go about my drive, he falls back after a minute or so, no big deal. I come in my turn, so I turn on my blinker and go into the turn lane, after I turn, I notice he accelerated again and follows me to the turn... ok, I seem to have a psycho moron wanting to follow me home now, because I had the audacity to dare to pass him oon the highway.

I'm not going to take him right to my house, I'm not stupid, so I cut through the neighborhood and watch him follow through right behind me, and made like I took a shortcut to 50 East out of Farmington, bypassing a couple stoplights. After I get going on 50 East, he apparently doesn't like that I didn't stop at home as nice and neat as he hoped, so he starts tailgating me again and decides he instead wants to throw crap forward out his window towards my car. Throwing at highway speeds forward doesn't work very well though... cause you know physics, wind and stuff. :sarcasm:

He then figures out his error after a couple tries, so instead accelerates to fly past me, which I'm not offended if someone tries to do, so I let him go, but then he chucks a can with soda or something in it out at my car as he goes by... my car gets splashed, but the can misses. I then say screw it, call 911 and follow the guy, who is now turning at random trying to get me off his tail, as I inform the operator exactly where I'm going and turning etc... unfortunately I did not get the guys plate as he passed, and he wad driving at speeds beyond safety, I wasn't going to go flying down a dirt road at 75mph trying to follow. He was obviously putting distance on me as a result, but I was still managing to track him for some time, but I noticed when he thought he was losing touch with me, he was attempting to turn off his lights as he was driving, hoping it would cause me to lose him.

Eventually, he reached an intersection when i was down a hill behind a ways, so I couldn't see which way he turned, and after he turned, he did the lights off thing again so I legit lost him.

What I want to know, what is the fricking POINT?

People driving, doing their own thing... someone passes you, why is that so offensive if they passed in standard legal fashion? What is the point of going off so much that you feel you need to do chicken crap stuff and then, since at that point, you know you acted like such an idiot, you have to then drive like a maniac and do dangerous things to get yourself out of your own moronic self created scenario?

WHY?

I just wish I could have gotten his plate.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
People like that shouldn't be allowed to drive a car.

What a jerk.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
That story is why I almost never honk my horn while driving. There's crazies out there who just need one little thing to make them snap. Jeez!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
That story is why I almost never honk my horn while driving. There's crazies out there who just need one little thing to make them snap. Jeez!

Yeah I started to adopt this policy (unless they're about to hit me).

In a long long line at a parking garage this dude sped way too fast from the side to try and cut in front of me, nearly sideswiped me. I honk at him and he gets out of his car, arms spread "You want to start something!!!?" I yell no and to not be an idiot. The whole time down the ramp I can hear this dude hitting his dashboard HARD. And this is like a 20 minute line. We get out and he passes me on the right and gives me the craziest damn eyes I've ever seen.

In a separate incident I also had a biker brandish a gun towards me so yeah I'm just gonna let people be jerks and not engage now.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Crazy! Sad you didn't get the plate number. I don't understand what's wrong with some people.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I started to adopt this policy (unless they're about to hit me).

Yeah, that's how I view the horn. It's there for self preservation, if someone is about to hit me or I'm about to hit them. Like last winter driving into a 4 way stop at the bottom of a hill (at a reasonable speed for the conditions, I thought). I hit the brakes and there was nothing there, just glare ice, if anything I accelerated. :laugh:

Welp. Just gonna lay on the horn to let everyone know I'm coming in, and hope like hell nobody is crossing the intersection. Luckily nobody was, maybe because my horn was blaring. I came to a stop facing the opposite direction in the middle of the intersection, lol.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone gone to the TC marathon?

We're going down to watch a friend. I'm expecting traffic to be kind of crazy. Thinking the easiest thing to do would just light rail it, they have a day pass for metro transit.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Has anyone gone to the TC marathon?

We're going down to watch a friend. I'm expecting traffic to be kind of crazy. Thinking the easiest thing to do would just light rail it, they have a day pass for metro transit.

Not TC marathon obviously, but I've been in city when big events have taken place. With marathons and other events that take a long time complete, public transport is your best bet. No point taking a car there. Same was true for Helsinki City Marathon.

I don't have a car, but as I said, been listening to enough complaints by people who chose to bring a car to the city during one of those.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Not TC marathon obviously, but I've been in city when big events have taken place. With marathons and other events that take a long time complete, public transport is your best bet. No point taking a car there. Same was true for Helsinki City Marathon.

I don't have a car, but as I said, been listening to enough complaints by people who chose to bring a car to the city during one of those.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The train will take longer, but probably much less of a headache. The biggest thing I'd be worried about driving down there would be parking. I'm thinking that a marathon set up would occupy a lot of streets and parking lots, but I've never been to one before so I don't really know what to expect.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The train will take longer, but probably much less of a headache. The biggest thing I'd be worried about driving down there would be parking. I'm thinking that a marathon set up would occupy a lot of streets and parking lots, but I've never been to one before so I don't really know what to expect

Marathons are hard as a spectator sport if you want to see someone multiple times during the race. You'll need to plan ahead of time your own route. This is a Boston Qualifier race, one of the best from a runners PoV. The weather is usually agreeable (not blazing hot and humid) and not a lot of elevation changes.

Looking at the map the light rail might be the smartest/easiest way to get in and out of there. they have stops at the start and finish lines. They will be packed with people, but no driving traffic to deal with.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I take back the bad things I said about YouTube TV's DVR.

I told it to record The Simpsons, so I'm gradually accumulating all of the episodes as they air on TV. They even organize them by season. So in a few weeks, I'll have every Simpsons episode available on demand to watch whenever I want!

Gotta start thinking of more shows too do this with!

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I take back the bad things I said about YouTube TV's DVR.

I told it to record The Simpsons, so I'm gradually accumulating all of the episodes as they air on TV. They even organize them by season. So in a few weeks, I'll have every Simpsons episode available on demand to watch whenever I want!

Gotta start thinking of more shows too do this with!

Antiques Roadshow.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I saw Goon 2 at the movie store, so I had to rent it. It was an okay movie, not as good as the first one (if you liked the first one).

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
"Did you just watch Rudy?" was the best line in a movie since all of In Bruges. Might be enough to get me to see the second Goon.

My kids were watching Spooky Buddies the other day. It starts off with a warlock sacrificing five puppy souls to a demon hound and then hoverbrooming away from the world's least motivated lynch mob. My kids lost their shit at me when I described this as killing the puppies. Maybe they thought you get puppy ghosts from daddy dog ghosts reaching across mommy dog ghosts to snooze haunted alarm clocks in the morning, but that's not the way this movie decided to get them. Sorry, little dudes, but if you think dark magic is cruel, wait until you learn about nature.

No, I didn't finish it. Yes, there's about a 150% chance the ghost puppies are all restored to regular puppydom and go on to live happy fulfilling lives at farms out in the country. Where there's a shitload of brutal-ass nature.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've been going through the Netflix stand-up shows lately. Most of them are okay, but nothing to write home about. It's how I stumbled upon Jimmy Carr. It was the most I've laughed in a long time. It's a tad raunchy, but his crowd interaction is great. He's a Brit so there isn't any US politics jokes; which I'm really sick of.

I recommend it for anyone that likes standup comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad