OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Force Awakens World Premier tonight so full spoiler alert mode :popcorn:

A plot synopsis has been out since May. While certain things may have changed, most of the spoilers have already been floating out there for those inclined to spoil things for others.

[spoil]Han Solo dies[/spoil]

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Reviews so far have been very positive, but really vague and nebulous: "In the Force Awakens, JJ Abrams has created an thoroughly old-fashioned movie." Huh?

Or this one: "#ForceAwakens might be the best blockbuster since the original." The Original, by which you mean A New Hope? That one wasnt very good. Compare it to ESB, if you're going to make a comparison.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Reviews are ridiculously positive. Of course, you never know if you can trust them or not (for example, the Mad Max reboot got glowing reviews, but I thought it was piece of c***). But they SEEM pretty genuine -- written with a lot of emotion. So we'll see.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Working from home today, started watching the original trilogy in advance of this Friday.

Ive pretty much already spoiled myself, I couldnt resist the dark side, LOL...but from everything I know and am sure of...I'm good with it and cant wait to see it.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I was thinking of another movie that got spectacular reviews that I thought was brutal -- the Dark Knight (the Batman movie with Heath Ledger). That is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and yet the critics were all over it.

The other two Batman movies were pretty good, FWIW.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Reviews are ridiculously positive. Of course, you never know if you can trust them or not (for example, the Mad Max reboot got glowing reviews, but I thought it was piece of c***). But they SEEM pretty genuine -- written with a lot of emotion. So we'll see.

I was thinking of another movie that got spectacular reviews that I thought was brutal -- the Dark Knight (the Batman movie with Heath Ledger). That is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and yet the critics were all over it.

You've got puzzling tastes if you think those two movies sucked.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
All I'm saying is that you've got to be careful with Rotten Tomatoes and take it with a grain of salt.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I've never been into comics or action heroes and I thought the Dark Knight was outstanding. Loved it.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Watching Empire for like the 500th time...If the new trilogy can get even one near the greatness of this one...I'll be beyond pleased.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Working from home today, started watching the original trilogy in advance of this Friday.

Ive pretty much already spoiled myself, I couldnt resist the dark side, LOL...but from everything I know and am sure of...I'm good with it and cant wait to see it.

Damn dude!

EVfSVFp.gif

I also sort of wanted to watch all 6 movies before this one. Starting with the prequels which are just so brutal, sigh. Somehow made it through phantom menace this weekend.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What I've discovered is that there's about 100000 fan edits of the prequel trilogy on YouTube, with widely varying takes. I might try and watch one of them tonight before I see EpVII tomorrow.

What???? :amazed::amazed:

Mad Max: Fury Road was one of the best films of the year. And I'm not normally one for special effects action blockbusters. But for a movie about garish over-the-top action, there was a massive amount of subtext and subtlety. It was truly a remarkable film.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
What I've discovered is that there's about 100000 fan edits of the prequel trilogy on YouTube, with widely varying takes. I might try and watch one of them tonight before I see EpVII tomorrow.

What???? :amazed::amazed:

Mad Max: Fury Road was one of the best films of the year. And I'm not normally one for special effects action blockbusters. But for a movie about garish over-the-top action, there was a massive amount of subtext and subtlety. It was truly a remarkable film.

I was pretty disappointed in Mad Max. The below honest trailer really sums up the problems at least for me personally.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't view a lot of what it says as problems. There was a lot more plot to it than it suggests. The fact that it relies on its world building (which is terrific) rather than tedious exposition scenes to convey the plot is one of the strengths of the film, IMO. Things like the wasteful uses of water/fuel play into that world building, establishing the type of societies that exist (and demonstrating the themes of privilege, ecological disaster, and decadence).

As it stands, Fury Road was my 2nd favorite 2015 film. EpVII could bump it to 3rd. Ex Machina is the best of the year, IMO.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Mad Max was not a flawless movie. It was however a fun action flick with over the top characters and sets. I thought it represented well.

Loved Ex Machina but #1 is pretty lofty ranking.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I may need to avoid the internet for a few days to ignore the spoilers. Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->