OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I tried going without a cell phone when they first became ubiquitous but it lasted like 3 months. I'm not going to get the new iPhone right away bit I'm sure I'll eventually get one.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's a very large part of me that wishes I had remained a luddite in the world of smart phones. I didn't get one until 2009 or 2010. Once I got one, there was no going back.

But cell phones present all sorts of privacy concerns to their users, and smartphones compound those concerns tenfold. It's really unsettling to me to think of how much data I freely give away to corporations and various government intelligence agencies on a daily basis. So many apps track data about you that has absolutely nothing to do with the app itself. And things like the increased facial recognition and integration between financial transactions and your smartphone make that even more concerning.

At least the one positive about iPhones is that Apple has more or less made encryption a selling point. While it won't protect you from giving away information to apps, their secure enclave will at least help keep your most valuable data secure from outside threats (although there have been recent reports of people allegedly finding vulnerabilities).

For those curious about this sort of stuff, Data & Goliath is a pretty good book on the topic.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I did my research, they're well enough regarded for an airplane.

Looked hard at those. Ended up going with the Bowers & Wilkins on-ears and love them. The sound quality is somehow perfect for everything from opera the Grateful Dead to the Dead Kennedys to Parliament to hockey games.

But the Sennsheisers look way cooler.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Looked hard at those. Ended up going with the Bowers & Wilkins on-ears and love them. The sound quality is somehow perfect for everything from opera the Grateful Dead to the Dead Kennedys to Parliament to hockey games.

But the Sennsheisers look way cooler.

I+like+the+cut+of+your+jib_228589_5463185.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jose' won't go away'

After the loop consensus shows out to shore - at best a boon for EC surfers. It will soon be closing in on setting a record for the longest running hurricane in the Atlantic... i know, another 500 year storm.

But a plot of the 12z ensembles from yesterday was interesting. Ukie is white, gefs is red, and eps pinkish
21751716_10155519544447367_723165959490313145_n.jpg

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
000930_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

here comes another one.......

meanwhile, jose is supposed to make a u-turn and come back towards us

storm_12

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maria a Cat5 already wow. It was a tropical storm 28 hours ago.

Good luck Dominca
59c0600567f8b_HurricaneMaria754PM.thumb.JPG.479d247a33c5cf1bf70056194b47b514.JPG

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maria is 1 of the 10 strongest Atlantic storms ever recorded... with a very rapid intensity spike up to Cat5. USVI is in the dreaded right front quadrant and will get raked by the eye. Puerto Rico and San Juan population 2M is set to take the direct full eye. Hopefully it rapidly loses strength at landfall. It's going to be really bad. I am seeing it called an apex predator storm.

894669d6fb8ae987072313278767f47e.gif

St Croix Webcam

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The eyewall rebuilt before landfall dropping winds making Maria drop to a strong Cat4, but made the eye wider - about 30 miles wide now. Pick your poison.

EDIT: Maria Stream from San Juan - a dumpster lifting off the ground. Double Edit. Lost the feed and then got it back, and saw the dumpster was gone. Brandon was joking it will nice when its gone so they had a better camera view.

https://livestormchasing.com/stream/brandon.clement

Last edited:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
There's a very large part of me that wishes I had remained a luddite in the world of smart phones. I didn't get one until 2009 or 2010. Once I got one, there was no going back.

But cell phones present all sorts of privacy concerns to their users, and smartphones compound those concerns tenfold. It's really unsettling to me to think of how much data I freely give away to corporations and various government intelligence agencies on a daily basis. So many apps track data about you that has absolutely nothing to do with the app itself. And things like the increased facial recognition and integration between financial transactions and your smartphone make that even more concerning.

At least the one positive about iPhones is that Apple has more or less made encryption a selling point. While it won't protect you from giving away information to apps, their secure enclave will at least help keep your most valuable data secure from outside threats (although there have been recent reports of people allegedly finding vulnerabilities).

For those curious about this sort of stuff, Data & Goliath is a pretty good book on the topic.

Time for me to dig out and fire up the old pre GPS Nokia. :D

Thanks for the Data & Goliath which looks like a good read.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Time for me to dig out and fire up the old pre GPS Nokia. :D

Thanks for the Data & Goliath which looks like a good read.
Pre-GPS helps some, but your position can be tracked purely based on which cell phone towers can talk to your phone at any given moment.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
After putting in an order for a STI limited in May and then getting delayed 2 and now at least another month (some issue with sti limited w/wing as there are just barely any coming in) went with another vehicle on the more car bro dude side of things. My original plans were to delay getting an sti till after the 2020 complete redesign but changed early this year getting some additional money together.

new-2018-chevrolet-camaro-2drcoupessw2ss-11355-16592235-1-640.jpg

2018 Camaro 2SS redline edition w/magnetic ride/perf exhaust

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
After putting in an order for a STI limited in May and then getting delayed 2 and now at least another month (some issue with sti limited w/wing as there are just barely any coming in) went with another vehicle on the more car bro dude side of things. My original plans were to delay getting an sti till after the 2020 complete redesign but changed early this year getting some additional money together.

new-2018-chevrolet-camaro-2drcoupessw2ss-11355-16592235-1-640.jpg

2018 Camaro 2SS redline edition w/magnetic ride/perf exhaust
Fancy! I just got a 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee to replace my shitty Touareg. I am less cool than you.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
How is that diesel GC? Ton of those GCs on the road even later model ones so people love those. Someone here at our office had one seriously blacked out rims, badging, etc..
So far I love it. Took it to wine country and was a super comfy trip. We got the Overland trim package. Haven't had occasion to really test its capability yet, tho. Hoping to go to the Los Padres in the new year and flex its muscles.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So far I love it. Took it to wine country and was a super comfy trip. We got the Overland trim package. Haven't had occasion to really test its capability yet, tho. Hoping to go to the Los Padres in the new year and flex its muscles.

I never got the whole diesel love thing till reading the comments of Jalopnik posts on the VW cheating scandal and then I could understand why. My seminal early driving was in the 80s and impression diesel's had on me were pretty negative as there were smokey exhaust benz whose entire rear of the car was like charcoal stained, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->