OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wireless headphones suck. By their very nature you have to pay for a Bluetooth receiver, a DAC, an amplifier, and a battery. All of that adds cost to the product that doesn't help (and often impairs) audio quality. Your phone already has a DAC, amp, and battery built in, and they're virtually guaranteed to be superior to whatever they can shove into the frame of a headphone (let alone the frame of an individual earbud like an airpod). Plus there's the inherent inconvenience of having to charge your headphones.

For any audio buff, wireless headphones are a deal breaker.

Much of this also applies to a lightning port headphones or a lightning to 3.5mm jack converter. The lightning port puts out a digital signal, not an analog one. Meaning they need to, at the very least, include a DAC to convert it to the analog signal required to produce sound from headphones. Most likely you'll need an amp as well (I'm not actually sure how much power can be driven for an audio signal off a lightning cable). The result is these small dongles have crappy DACs.

When I eventually do upgrade, if I end up sticking with iOS, I would end up purchasing something along the lines of this or this. I really hope someone comes out with a combination DAC/Amp/Battery/Case.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No audio buff I know expect earbuds to provide that level of sound quality nor do they rely on their phone for those types of listening experience. They have other and better equipment for that. But, hey to each their own. Me, I need them to work well when I'm working out and for conf calls during the work day. They charge fast, you can use one or both, and you get multiple charges from the case.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ignorance is bliss. Once you go hi-fi, you can't go back.

First off, not all 3.5mm headphones are "earbuds." You can get over-ear and on-ear headphones with 3.5mm jacks. And there are plenty of hi-fi inner ear monitors out there, as well.

And while nobody's mobile phone is going to match their rig at home, audio junkies still want to listen to music on the go. And, unfortunately, the smartphone has all but killed the high capacity mp3 player as a device.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wireless headphones suck. By their very nature you have to pay for a Bluetooth receiver, a DAC, an amplifier, and a battery. All of that adds cost to the product that doesn't help (and often impairs) audio quality. Your phone already has a DAC, amp, and battery built in, and they're virtually guaranteed to be superior to whatever they can shove into the frame of a headphone (let alone the frame of an individual earbud like an airpod). Plus there's the inherent inconvenience of having to charge your headphones.

For any audio buff, wireless headphones are a deal breaker.

Much of this also applies to a lightning port headphones or a lightning to 3.5mm jack converter. The lightning port puts out a digital signal, not an analog one. Meaning they need to, at the very least, include a DAC to convert it to the analog signal required to produce sound from headphones. Most likely you'll need an amp as well (I'm not actually sure how much power can be driven for an audio signal off a lightning cable). The result is these small dongles have crappy DACs.

When I eventually do upgrade, if I end up sticking with iOS, I would end up purchasing something along the lines of this or this. I really hope someone comes out with a combination DAC/Amp/Battery/Case.

If you're working in a production studio, yeah, stay wired. Even as sound quality improves for wireless there are still latency problems. But if I'm shooting hoops or mowing the lawn or hitting golf balls wireless headphones paired with Audible or Spotify via my phone are a revelation. The music quality is great, but I also have an in-ear cancelling wireless sport model that used to cost $150 new...same company and similar model:

https://www.amazon.com/DinoTwin-Blu...B0171AO2OQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505299244&

I mean, I'm not trying to hear the subtle breath variations in a flute aria. I'm jamming to some ****ing Slayer or listening to audiobooks about getting my golf scores into the low 60s instead of high 60s/low 70s ;) . Don't need more than that.

I understand the drops in dynamic range but what are we really missing? You must be listening to some deep ambient or something.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's not ignorance if you don't have a use case. I have dedicated home equipment for that. I was referring specifically to the AirPods, which are earbuds. My use case for listening to things off my phone is much closer to Goon. Same thing, working out; hitting balls at the range, etc...for plane rides, I use over the ear for the noise cancelling feature and more comfort.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you're working in a production studio, yeah, stay wired. Even as sound quality improves for wireless there are still latency problems. But if I'm shooting hoops or mowing the lawn or hitting golf balls wireless headphones paired with Audible or Spotify via my phone are a revelation. The music quality is great, but I also have an in-ear cancelling wireless sport model that used to cost $150 new...same company and similar model:

https://www.amazon.com/DinoTwin-Blu...B0171AO2OQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505299244&

For an audio book, you're 100% right. It doesn't matter.

For streaming music, it depends on the service. For apple music or YouTube it probably wouldn't matter much at all because of the codec they use already. Spotify, however, uses Ogg Vorbis, so there can still be additional compression and bandwidth restrictions placed on the music by the Bluetooth receiver. Granted it's still lossy (320kbps) as opposed to lossless.

edit; I'd also like to point out that paying for active noise cancellation on a paid of IEMs is redundant. A proper fitting canal phone will provide as much sound isolation as active noise cancellation on its own. Brands like Shure and Etymotics, in particular, are excellent at this.

I mean, I'm not trying to hear the subtle breath variations in a flute aria. I'm jamming to some ****ing Slayer or listening to audiobooks about getting my golf scores into the low 60s instead of high 60s/low 70s ;) . Don't need more than that.

I understand the drops in dynamic range but what are we really missing? You must be listening to some deep ambient or something.

buys-125-usd-headphones-listens-only-to-80s-low-fi-death-metal.jpg

I strongly identify with the meme above. :laugh:

Seriously, I listen to a wide range of things with a wide range of recording qualities, and I find improved audio fidelity is just as important with lo-fi recordings. When something is already overly dense and/or clipped in production, I really want as much ability on my end to parse out what's there. When you clip it further and compress it, it can really harm what's left already.

It's not ignorance if you don't have a use case. I have dedicated home equipment for that. I was referring specifically to the AirPods, which are earbuds. My use case for listening to things off my phone is much closer to Goon. Same thing, working out; hitting balls at the range, etc...for plane rides, I use over the ear for the noise cancelling feature and more comfort.

The "ignorance" is that I've never met a person that started listening to hi-fi stuff and was able to go back to lower end equipment without serious gripes. As a personal example, I used to think my PC's integrated soundcard was fine enough. Then I bought a cheap DAC/Amp because my headphone jack on my case was having issues, and it forever changed my opinion. The improved response across the frequency range (and especially in the super low end) makes a world of difference.

And Bose doesn't really count as hi-fi. They're known for their noise cancellation, not their audio quality. In terms of sound quality, brands like Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and Shure will top Bose at a fraction of the price. Bose is certainly infinitely better than something like Beats, but they're more of a "brand name" then they are legit hi-fi gear. Their only calling card is active noise cancellation.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone here feels like dropping $1200 on a phone? I'm more than happy with iPhone 6, I don't need more than that.

With the upgrade subsidy yes. Also, I get cell phone expense reimbursement of $150 a month, so I've done the Att Next upgrade program for two cycles now since it's not out of my pocket.

It's my most used device by a large margin. I didn't use to be an early adopter, but my mindset has changed given my daily use.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
With the upgrade subsidy yes. Also, I get cell phone expense reimbursement of $150 a month, so I've done the Att Next upgrade program for two cycles now since it's not out of my pocket.

It's my most used device by a large margin. I didn't use to be an early adopter, but my mindset has changed given my daily use.

So your job pays for a part of it, it makes sense. I'm a broke student, so I keep my phone as long as possible and only swap it for the model that came two years ago :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Apple products are straight trash.

They're not trash, just grossly overpriced. I have a MacBook Pro because I can't stand PCs for day to day use. I only use PCs for Windows-only software for school or work.

Getting a cheap iPhone coupled with my Mac made sense. If I didn't have a Mac, I'd have a Samsung phone instead of my iPhone.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I use a flip phone with one of those antennae that you have to pull out.

Also it takes me 10 minutes to write a text message while I cycle through the letters.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I use a flip phone with one of those antennae that you have to pull out.

Also it takes me 10 minutes to write a text message while I cycle through the letters.

lol this blows my mind given how futuristic and progressive you seem to be. I pictured you walking around with google glass, peering at stat tables while crossing the street

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
lol this blows my mind given how futuristic and progressive you seem to be. I pictured you walking around with google glass, peering at stat tables while crossing the street

Here's a picture of Twabby computing every Caps' player's advanced stats at his office

220px-Lavoisier_explaining_to_his_wife_the_result_of_his_experimen_Wellcome_V0018151.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
...I wasn't serious.

LOL you never know. I have friends who are like that....dragging their feet with flip phones and such.

"I hate text! If it's important enough to say, it's important enough to say in person or with a call!"

nnnnnnnoooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad