OT: General OT Stuff (Infinity+3)(No Politics/Spoilers, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What are people's opinions on Mad Men? I started watching the first few episodes on Netflix and am on the fence about watching it further. It seems so slow

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What are people's opinions on Mad Men? I started watching the first few episodes on Netflix and am on the fence about watching it further. It seems so slow
Got addicted and stuck with it the whole way through. I think it's fantastic overall--maybe one of the best ever, but definitely a slow burn.

I've often referred to it as the Seinfeld of drama series. It's really a show about nothing.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Got addicted and stuck with it the whole way through. I think it's fantastic overall--maybe one of the best ever, but definitely a slow burn.

I've often referred to it as the Seinfeld of drama series. It's really a show about nothing.

Totally agree that it's spectacular. Totally disagree that it's about nothing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Totally agree that it's spectacular. Totally disagree that it's about nothing.

I mean, Seinfeld wasn't really about "nothing" either. But neither had an over-arching story. They're both just about the happenings to a group of characters. If someone asked you to give a summary of what happened during any of Mad Men's seasons, could you?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean, Seinfeld wasn't really about "nothing" either. But neither had an over-arching story. They're both just about the happenings to a group of characters. If someone asked you to give a summary of what happened during any of Mad Men's seasons, could you?

I can't remember well enough, so no. But when I was watching them, I was aware of the narrative threads. It's not any less about something than or any other long-format show. Sure it's about the characters, but so is any quality piece of fiction.

It's a contemporary American story told through the lens of consumerism which is ****ing brilliant in its own right.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

It's unbelievably good, but I had to start watching it twice. The first time I watched the first few episodes I was on deployment and hated it, but that's mostly because it's slow to get going and I had just finished watching through The Sopranos, so my excitement bar was set pretty high.

It depends on what you're into though. I'm captivated by shows that can successfully integrate history and/or subculture into their story lines. I love good dialogue and character development. I don't particularly need (or want) over-the-top action or turning points in a show that are totally unrealistic. When you watch Mad Men, you really feel like this is how advertising was in the 1960's, and I love that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Most sit-coms and some dramas lack any meaningful overall story arc beyond everyday life of the characters. One of the goals is to preserve things as they are as long as possible so formula remains intact. Putting your characters through major changes is risky, unless that's part of your formula (GoT, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc).

Seinfeld's "show about nothing" was a genius bit of marketing hyperbole, as it was essentially a show about petty people reacting to petty things as opposed to "nothing". Friends was more about nothing than Seinfeld--which actually drew from a lot of different sources and social subjects, however absurd, while Friends was probably 90% middle school banter among 6 people.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Anyone watching The Leftovers? This season is full of WTF, but I'm absolutely loving it.
I can't pick which second season I like more. Leftovers or Fargo.

This last Leftovers was fantastic. Eyes glued to the tv the whole episode. When Damon Lindelof is on his game...he's one his game. I know the numbers are low...but I hope HBO keeps it going (numbers haven't stopped them before). It's just fantastic WTF story telling that isn't present anywhere else.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Might be old news to some, but I just read it. Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne in the 5th Bourne movie and he will be in DC shooting scenes in early December:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d=hp_local-news_rs-bourne-345p:homepage/story

As a huge fan of the Matt Damon Bourne movies, and the 4th with Jeremy Renner was ok, I am very excited to read another Bourne movie with Damon is in the works. :handclap:

That's exciting news. The Matt Damon Bourne movies were definitely better than the last one. I wonder if it's gonna have Jeremy Renner in it also to tie both movies together?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
TWD episode this week proved that anything is possible on the show. The whole Glenn situation being resolved in the first minute was laughable.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sorry to blow up the OT thread. Finished the Jessica Jones series on Netflix yesterday. I enjoyed it and recommend it to Marvel fans. It was much darker than Daredevil but it was good all around. The series also introduced Luke Cage, who is getting his own series in April. Only negative I had was there being no mention of Daredevil until the final episode. My guess is that Jessica Jones and possibly Luke Cage make an appearance in the new season of Daredevil coming out in 2016.

2016 will have a new season of Daredevil, the premier of Luke Cage, and the premier of Iron Fist. Lots of Marvel to watch

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Two behind on The Leftovers. At that time was just watching too much stuff to start with Fargo but at this point thats ok it will be a quality show to binge at some point in the future.

JJ on Netflix is great. Up to eps 10 at this point.

Finally updated the Cox Cable DVR to one of the 6 tuner ones and must say that has made things easier compared to the two tuner one. Sunday nights are pretty brutal tv scheduling-wise.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Aren't they doing a "Defenders" series with JJ, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist all together?

I'm just meh on Iron Fist...but the others are great (I'm sure Cage will be as well since hes good in JJ as it is). Daredevil was fantastic...and with Frank Castle coming in season 2....totally looking forward to that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Aren't they doing a "Defenders" series with JJ, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist all together?

I'm just meh on Iron Fist...but the others are great (I'm sure Cage will be as well since hes good in JJ as it is). Daredevil was fantastic...and with Frank Castle coming in season 2....totally looking forward to that.

That's the plan from what I read. A Defenders series apparently will come out after all individual characters have at least 1 full series under their belt. No word yet on whether JJ will get a 2nd season or not

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I remember reading something on Iron Fist that there might be some issues on the writing side of it but yeah even in my Marvel comic collecting days it wasn't something I would follow.

Kinda surprised at Marvel/Netflix having the forethought to have some darker/weightier series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->