OT: General OT (Some Obscene Number+2) (No Politics, see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
NBTW, interested to hear your take on Spurrier as a fan of a rival.
On the one hand, he's by far the greatest coach they've ever had, and one of the best game day play callers of the past 25 years. He led that program to their greatest run of sustained success. They're literally talking about naming the field after him. So some might consider it a big loss.

On the other, he's been checked out of recruiting for a couple years now. Rival recruiters have been using the "he'll retire before you graduate" card for a while and the staff has been back-filling classes with JuCo prospects. The program was steadily descending without much hope of recovery. So some might consider it time for a fresh start.

Personally, I fall into the latter group. That program was going nowhere fast, particularly with Florida and Tennessee on the way back up. The timing is odd though. I fully expected him to announce the week before the Clemson game that it would be his last game as a motivational tactic to attempt to go out on a high. I think he's been contemplating it since Clowney left. That was his last chance at anything big and he knew it.

Rumors have persisted for at least a year that Kirby Smart was their guy to replace him. It's going to be very hard for him, or anyone else, to go in there and compete. You could make the argument that South Carolina is only the 5th best program in their division (behind Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Missouri). I mean, Florida has had trouble getting a coaching hire right, and their resources dwarf South Carolina's.

Here's hoping we've now returned to college football normalcy where South Carolina is an annual doormat.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have to disagree that they're a worse program than Mizzou, NBTW. Mizzou is overrated and has always been overrated. There's no reason a program like South Carolina can't be (significantly) better than them with some fresh blood and an emphasis on recruiting.

Spurrier fell into the trap that all old coaches fall into. He thought recruiting would just handle itself and didn't spend enough time on it or was too out of touch with today's youth to be effective at it. See Brown, Mack; Bowden, Bobby; Paterno; Joe, Tuberville, Tommy, and Fulmer, Philip for other examples.

I'm in no way, shape, or form a Gamecock fan but I think everything is there for it to be a destination job and Spurrier made it that way. It was however, as he said, "time to let someone else have a go at it."

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think the argument only comes into play when talking about Missouri. Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee are clearly better jobs due to tradition and resources. They're also all better teams right now.

Missouri is a much, much better team than South Carolina right now. Pinkel has given that program terrific stability and they have quietly won the division two years in a row (23-5 with two bowl wins over that stretch). If anything, I think they're underrated. South Carolina might be a better job in terms of recruiting footprint and facilities, but they've got a lot of work to do on the field, and their tradition/history is as bad as any Power 5 program.

I think pretty much any coach taking over one of those programs could compete at a high level much more quickly at Missouri.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
While I haven't finished season 1 yet (love the 4 episodes Ive watched so far)....I still watched the season 2 promo for Daredevil.

Oh yeah.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think the argument only comes into play when talking about Missouri. Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee are clearly better jobs due to tradition and resources. They're also all better teams right now.

Missouri is a much, much better team than South Carolina right now. Pinkel has given that program terrific stability and they have quietly won the division two years in a row (23-5 with two bowl wins over that stretch). If anything, I think they're underrated. South Carolina might be a better job in terms of recruiting footprint and facilities, but they've got a lot of work to do on the field, and their tradition/history is as bad as any Power 5 program.

I think pretty much any coach taking over one of those programs could compete at a high level much more quickly at Missouri.

I didn't say a thing about Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee as I agree they're better jobs. No arguments here. But, take off the hater glasses for a second. Missouri beat Arkansas St by 7 (27-20), UConn by 3 (9-6), and lost to Kentucky (21-13). They weren't even competitive against Florida (21-3). Yes, they beat the Gamecocks, but I always thought this would be a down year for South Carolina as they have no QB and Spurrier shouldn't have returned this year.

My point is if you get the right coach into that program, given the recruiting footprint and the facilities they have along with the foundation that Spurrier laid down, they could and should easily surpass Mizzou. Do you agree or disagree with that sentiment?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I didn't say a thing about Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee as I agree they're better jobs. No arguments here. But, take off the hater glasses for a second. Missouri beat Arkansas St by 7 (27-20), UConn by 3 (9-6), and lost to Kentucky (21-13). They weren't even competitive against Florida (21-3). Yes, they beat the Gamecocks, but I always thought this would be a down year for South Carolina as they have no QB and Spurrier shouldn't have returned this year.

My point is if you get the right coach into that program, given the recruiting footprint and the facilities they have along with the foundation that Spurrier laid down, they could and should easily surpass Mizzou. Do you agree or disagree with that sentiment?
I disagree that they should easily surpass Mizzou. Mizzou of the last two years is just as good as Spurrier's South Carolina peak. They've never surpassed that in their history, so I'm not sure why they should any time soon.

Could they pass Mizzou? Sure. But they'd have to make an absolute home run hire to do it in anything resembling the short term, which is incredibly difficult to do. There are A LOT more mediocre to bad head coaches than great ones. Again, just staying in the division, Florida has bombed 2 of their last 3 hires (Zook and Muschamp; McElwain is too early to judge) and Tennessee has bombed two of their last three hires (Dooley and Kiffin, and Jones is from from a hit at this point).

South Carolina's a poor man's Ole Miss. Similar recruiting footprint, similar facilities, similar recent stature. Ole Miss just has a significant edge in history and location (Oxford is infinitely nicer than Columbia). Ole Miss has cheated as much as anyone, and they're having trouble getting over the hump.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Very true re: good coaches. There aren't many Nick Sabans or Urban Meyers lying around. I guess I just look at South Carolina and think that there's no reason they shouldn't be top 15-20 every year with the occasional magical season thrown in.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Very true re: good coaches. There aren't many Nick Sabans or Urban Meyers lying around. I guess I just look at South Carolina and think that there's no reason they shouldn't be top 15-20 every year with the occasional magical season thrown in.
The thing is though, you could probably list 30 programs that would fit this model, and many with much easier conference situations (e.g., VT, Miami, Texas, GT, UNC, Maryland, Penn State, Nebraska, etc.). That context makes the top-15 program expectation seem less reasonable.

Sep 19, 2008
Something is wrong with the weather because it was cold as f*** from January to April and then cold as f*** from October on. I do not live in Canada or Finland. I do not live in Siberia. The weather here is expected to be f***ing MODERATE.

If I lived in Chicago or Boston or buffalo I wouldn't complain but us district folk aren't used to this cold weather. It was single digits earlier this year! That doesn't happen here! It's not the north pole! So f*** weather and Arctic chill and polar vortex and whatever weather anomalies are responsible for turning a region where 50 - 60 degrees is the norm into the f***ing Arctic Circle.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Something is wrong with the weather because it was cold as f*** from January to April and then cold as f*** from October on. I do not live in Canada or Finland. I do not live in Siberia. The weather here is expected to be f***ing MODERATE.

If I lived in Chicago or Boston or buffalo I wouldn't complain but us district folk aren't used to this cold weather. It was single digits earlier this year! That doesn't happen here! It's not the north pole! So f*** weather and Arctic chill and polar vortex and whatever weather anomalies are responsible for turning a region where 50 - 60 degrees is the norm into the f***ing Arctic Circle.

Give this a quick read:
http://thevane.gawker.com/the-internet-is-making-us-forget-how-the-weather-works-1737414657

Sep 19, 2008
It's going to be 32 f***ing degrees again tomorrow morning. I'm done complaining about it. I'm just going to go out in a spacesuit to protect me from the elements. Hat, 10 layers of clothing, 2 layers of pants, gloves, the works. f*** cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad