OT: General College Hockey Talk

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Cornell got a rough draw in Worcester.... a near home game for BU in the first round, and potentially the same for Northeastern in the second round if they make it.

Go win two road games in the NCAA Tournament....Some reward for a #1 seed.

Reactions: Chainshot

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NCAA Ice Hockey@NCAAIceHockey -
After one period of play, Clarkson leads Colgate 1-0 on a goal by Cassidy Vinkle.
Malia Schneider scored just 2:27 into the second period.
We are all tied at one in the Women's Frozen Four championship game.
60 MINUTES ISN'T ENOUGH! Colgate and Clarkson are headed to OT in the Women's Frozen Four championship game.

ClarksonAthletics‏ @ClarksonUSports -
GOAL! @CassVink77 from @kellmariani at 16:49 of the 1st puts @CUknights on top 1-0 over Colgate.
Nothing new for @CUknights playing in 3rd straight #NCAAWHockey overtime game.
Tied 1-1 with @ECACHOCKEYMWD1 rival Colgate after regulation.
Freshman sensation @EliGiguere11 with the GWG (unassisted) at 7:55 of OT.
Lifts @CUknights to 2-1 victory over Colgate in @NCAAIceHockey National Championship Game!
Awesome!!! Back-to-Back @NCAAIceHockey Champions.
Three National Titles in five years! @CUknights best in the land once again! @ClarksonUniv

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Back to back and three out of five National Champs.

Not bad for a little private school in the middle of nowhere that didn't have a legit women's hockey program when I was there a little over twenty years ago.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Adam Wodon‏ @CHN_AdamWodon -
Maybe "it's time" and maybe it isn't. Fine with me. But Lucia did not deserve the wrath by many of the "unreasonable, entitled masses" out there in recent years. I hope he coaches somewhere again, but, up to him.

Jess Myers‏ @JessRMyers -
I have recieved confirmation that Don Lucia is meeting with the @GopherHockey team this afternoon and will not return as their coach after 19 seasons at the helm. He did not meet with them earlier today, as was reported.

Todd Milewski‏@ToddMilewski -
If the report on Don Lucia being out at Minnesota is correct, it'll be the third straight season that a national title-winning coach's time is done at a B1G school. Mike Eaves with the #Badgers in 2016, Red Berenson with Michigan in 2017.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Mike McMahon‏ @MikeMcMahonCHN-
ESPN has announced the commentator teams for the NCAA Tournament:
East Regional/Frozen Four: John Buccigross and Barry Melrose. Rinkside: Quint Kessenich.
West Regional: Clay Matvick and Sean Ritchlin.
Northeast Regional: Joe Beninati and Billy Jaffe.
Midwest Regional: Kevin Brown and Colby Cohen.

Frozen Four TV/Commentators Schedule - Thursday, April 5-Saturday, April 7 - St. Paul, Minnesota.

DateTime GameNetwork
Thursday, April 56:00 pm ET.Frozen Four Semifinal #1 -
John Buccigross-Barry Melrose-Quint Kessenich
ESPN2
Thursday, April 59:30 pm ET.Frozen Four Semifinal #2 -
ESPN2
Saturday, April 77:30 pm ET.Frozen Four Final -
ESPN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Back to back and three out of five National Champs.

Not bad for a little private school in the middle of nowhere that didn't have a legit women's hockey program when I was there a little over twenty years ago.
My sister was there 30 years ago, and was in the pep band for the men's hockey team. I'll have to ask her if they also did the women's games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My sister was there 30 years ago, and was in the pep band for the men's hockey team. I'll have to ask her if they also did the women's games.

I don't believe that they had any sort of women's team back then.

I was there from 92-96 and they started a club team around 93 or 94. That level of play was such that they were recruiting women who had never played hockey to fill out the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Curious how Lucia stepping down impacts not only Mittelstadt but the recruiting process. There are so many options in state as well as rampant recruiting by powers like Denver among the ranks of the Minnesota high schoolers.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Minnesota M Hockey‏ @GopherHockey -
Don Lucia and AD Mark Coyle have entered the press conference.
Coyle: I want to thank Coach Lucia, his wife Joyce, and their family for all they have done for this program.

Lucia on staff and coaches: It was a pleasure to work with you every day.
I wanted to have success at Minnesota without sacrificing integrity.
Our players all graduate and have represented themselves to the high standards of Gopher Hockey on and off the ice.
It has been a tremendous honor & privilege to be the head hockey coach at the UMN.
I feel really blessed that I could raise my family here, in this great city.
I was never one to say I wasn't going to coach until I was 65-70.
I've always felt this is a great job. Somebody else should have the opportunity to coach.
I have been fortunate for what I have experienced as a coach. That's what the journey is all about.
I'm thankful that I have had all these opportunities throughout my college coaching career.
There are so many great memories.
The B1G is a great and strong conference. It is a great league.
I feel so blessed to do what I have done. What do I want to do in the next phase?
Have more time with my wife and my grandchildren. I'm so lucky and fortunate.

Lucia on advice for the next coach: I hope I'm there for them like Doug (Woog) was there for me.
There will be a lot of good candidates. It's someone else's time now.
Coyle: We will start the search process immediately. We are proud of our incredible tradition.
I look forward to having those conversations to find the best fit for our student-athletes and for Minnesota.
Coyle: Don will work closely with me in this next year, working towards a fundraising goal at 3M Arena at Mariucci.
He wants to do what's best for Gopher Hockey.

Lucia: I came to Minnesota because of the history, because of the tradition. I'm proud of what I contributed to it.
Lucia on critics: You have to put the blinders on and believe what you're doing.
I always tried to do it the right way. Winning is important but going to class is important.
Getting good grades and graduating. Our players deserve a lot of credit for how they conduct themselves.
Lucia on stepping away: I'm turning 60. It's time. I'm hoping I can be a mentor, a friend to the next coach.
The University of Minnesota is a great place to play hockey. It's bigger than Don Lucia.

Coach Lucia ends today's press conference by thanking the media.
Thank you for following along.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Notre Dame Hockey‏ @NDHockey -
Michigan Tech strikes first, scoring at 1:13 of the second. 1-0 MTU | 2nd
IRISH STRIKE BACK! Dylan Malmquist knocks it home... unassisted! 1-1 | 2nd
NCAA Ice Hockey‏ @NCAAIceHockey -
Michigan Tech strikes first! Joel L'Esperance scores 1:13 into the second period using his size and strength to get in front of the Notre Dame defense to make it 1-0 for Michigan Tech.

That would be M-A-L-M-Q-U-I-S-T, who did not QUIT on that play.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Notre Dame Hockey‏ @NDHockey -
WEGWORTH! The junior gives the Irish a 2-1 lead with 12:56 to play in the second.
Theisen and O'Leary on the assists.
Andrew Ogelvie has been credited with an assist on the Malmquist goal.

Michigan Tech scores and at 56 seconds of the third we're all tied up. 2-2 | 3rd
NCAA Ice Hockey‏ @NCAAIceHockey -
Hot out of the gates! Michigan Tech ties it up with Notre Dame, 2-2, just 56 seconds into the 3rd. Jake Lucchini sets up the scoring play with a BEAUTIFUL between-the-legs deke and Gavin Gould pockets the rebound.

1f680.png
FROM GROSS! Irish take a 3-2 lead on the senior's power-play goal.

This one put the Irish up 3-2. That's where we stand with 4:39 to play.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Notre Dame Hockey‏@NDHockey -
Huskies tie it up with 1:06 to play in the third. 3-3 | 3rd
We've got overtime in Bridgeport. 3-3 | End 3rd
NCAA Ice Hockey @NCAAIceHockey -
Tie game. 1:06 left in regulation. Jake Jackson ties it up to keep Michigan Tech's upset hopes alive!

IRISH WIN!!!!!

The veterans get it done for the Irish! Jordan Gross with his second of the day. Jake Evans on the assist.
Third two-goal game of Gross' career. It last happened in 2015 against Northeastern.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad