TV: General Anime Discussion (Part 3)

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
I liked Black Clover as well, but the main character really needs to tone the **** down with the yelling of every goddamn line.

Everything I've read about it... He doesn't. Not for a while anyways. He's just always intense, and they got a relatively inexperienced VA to do the role.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Season 3 of Tokyo Ghoul announced. Not sure how they will pull off, considering season 2 had an anime original ending. Hopefully it follows what season 2 of Blue Exorcist did.

Edit:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
This came in a month early for me :).

D3gbmxN_d.jpg

Japanese Military Propaganda: The Anime. (I'm serious)

The author of the light novel was some ex-military guy apparently. The scenes depicting the National Diet and journalists in a negative fashion are a dead giveaway of that. They changed a lot of stuff for the anime from what I heard, but it's still pretty messed up that they would even make something like this into an anime in the first place.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I liked Black Clover as well, but the main character really needs to tone the **** down with the yelling of every goddamn line.
Yeah that one I might have to wait for the dub. I do like my typical Shonen battle anime and even some of the stereotypes involved in the genre but that is just overkill to the point of unenjoyable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well the Dragon Ball Super hour special did not disappoint.

I also swear the writers have watched a lot of Abridged, because it really seems bits of their stuff is leaking into the show.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lots of good stuff this season. Even found the CG in Land of the Lustrous tolerable, which I was not expecting.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Children of the Whales had a really good first episode. Will for sure pick up, Fall is definitely more stacked compared to summer,

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just finished watching Death Parade, no idea why I had not watched it earlier but I really enjoyed that series.
I was the opposite. Really hated it. They had something interesting with the mystery theatre type thing it had going on in the early episodes, but then when it abandoned that for some actual story it got real weak. I basically forgot everything once i finished it. Very boring imo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Haven't really been watching a lot of anime lately except I did start over in Shippuuden since I never finished the show. Holy **** there are a lot of episodes, currently at the beginning of the fourth war.

Besides that, I did watch two Japanese drama shows; Mischievous Kiss and Good Morning Call. They're stupid, but fun overall shows. I like MK since it's more believable of a story-line in how they meet up compared to GMC, but GMC had decent elements of it's own and how they fell in love was more believable than in MK. It is what it is though. Found out that MK has a season 2 so I will probably give that a go while finishing Ship. That's been my summer thus far, so boring, except watching Trigun and watching Cowboy Bebop the Movie for the first time. Wow that movie was ridiculously good.

I still haven’t finished watching Shippuden despite having read the entire ending as it was released. I stopped right before the war started and I got way too intimidated by the amount of seemingly filler episodes added to the war.

Rewatched the Bebop movie for the first time in years over the summer. It still holds up. Looks great, sounds great, is great.

I wish Trigun would get either a Full Metal: Brotherhood or a Hellsing OVA treatment to adapt the entire manga.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hey dudes, do you guys know a good website that has solid information about anime being released on dvd or blu-ray? I'm sort of struggling to find a good one, because I am looking to buy some more anime series, specifically the overall finalized edition. What I am normally doing is randomly checking once per every other months new releases on Amazon, but it doesn't suffice. A reason why is because they tend to have zero versions or a billion version and I have no idea what the different versions are. For example, I believe they have "Your Lie In April" on Amazon in Blu-ray, but the version is cut up in two volumes and one volume is 89 dollars. And I believe it is the Japanese version which I don't think will work in NA.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Bought the first volume of Land of the Lustrous after watching the first couple episodes of the anime. Both are real good.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Hey dudes, do you guys know a good website that has solid information about anime being released on dvd or blu-ray? I'm sort of struggling to find a good one, because I am looking to buy some more anime series, specifically the overall finalized edition. What I am normally doing is randomly checking once per every other months new releases on Amazon, but it doesn't suffice. A reason why is because they tend to have zero versions or a billion version and I have no idea what the different versions are. For example, I believe they have "Your Lie In April" on Amazon in Blu-ray, but the version is cut up in two volumes and one volume is 89 dollars. And I believe it is the Japanese version which I don't think will work in NA.
Anime News Network maybe.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Shippuden update: I finally passed the Kakashi ANBU filler arc which were interesting, quite enjoyed those fillers. I remember stopping at the next big filler arc when they get captured by the plant so I am anticipating coming up to those. If I remember correctly, it started off really good showing different lives, but then tailed off into an actually mini arc having to find this bad guy or something similar which dropped my interest at the time. Nonetheless, some of these episodes after Kakashi's ANBU have been a coherent mess. The pace has been unbelievably slow, the animation has been quite horrid, and a lot of freakin' flashbacks like 3/4 of one episode where we have to be proven that Sakura is up to their level or some forced **** like that. I know it gets better, but similar to the capture Gaara arc in the beginning of Shippuden, they're taking a wonderful part of the storyline and totally ruining it.

Anime News Network maybe.
Yeah, I've been using that, but they post so many news that the ones I want tend to get drained out. Not only that, but I see that they have news filters, but under merch all they have are figurines and shirts.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Blame! was pretty good. Obviously it's just one part of the manga being told but man I want to read up on it now.

I watched Blame! a few days ago. I enjoyed it a lot but there were two things that bothered me. Firstly the low FPS. There were times when it was irritating to watch because of the lack of smoothness. Secondly, Killy was a little too emo :D

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I found a good site, which has a **** ton of anime blu-ray, collections, and things like that in Rightstuf (majority of you probably know about it already). They got some really good deals going concerning Black Friday. Not amazing like get half of Dragonball Z on Blu-ray for free sort of deal's, but good ones nonetheless. Picked up some Studio Ghibli bundles.

I am still quite disappointed that we have not gotten Dragonball in blu-ray, any of you lot know the reason why? That would be a series I would pick up in a nanosecond.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bumping this thread to finish my cognitive thoughts on Naruto. *SPOILERS FYI* So since you last heard me, I was in starting the Kaguya arc around episode 459. To start off, I must say that I could not take her as this ultra-super-powerful villain and goddess of all chakra. I had no emotional connection with her character and left with more questions than answers. Such as where the hell did she come from? Is she an actual alien like how some Pokemon are from space? If so, where the hell did the divine tree come from? Is it an alien species such as Kaguya? You know, it felt just incomplete or rushed.

Next problem I had was, what was the point of Kaguya? It just seems stupidly dumb to have this amazingly powerful being from another world (it seems) just to be sealed away when two dudes touch her. This shows some serious writer's block because it was like a 3 year old made it. Awful and even then I have no idea if Sasuke and Naruto kept their power from the Sage of the Six Paths. They had to because Sasuke has the completion of the Rinnegan and Sharingan, but yet I have seen Naruto's power in any of the future episodes where he has the truth orbs behind him. It's not explained clearly or what even Naruto's power is besides coming together with the Fox. Additionally, I have a huge problem that the black Zetsu has an insane intelligence level to orchestrate the main storyline elements over a 3,000 to 4,000 year period. It just seems not manageable; it's not a huge problem, but a problem nonetheless.

After these problems, I have another one, the pacing. OMFG it is soooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Granted it was my choice to watch the fillers, but it's ****ing insane for the people who watched it weekly. Lets start it off of episode 378...

7 episodes of canon (378-384)
2 episodes of filler (385-386)
1 episode of canon (387)
3 episodes of filler (388-390)
3 episodes of canon (391-393)
20 episodes of filler (394-413)
2 episodes of canon (414-415)
2 episodes of filler (416-417)
1 episode of canon (418)
1 episode of filler (419)
2 episodes of canon (420-421)
2 episodes of filler (422-423)
3 episodes of canon (424-426)
24 episodes of filler (427-450)

I skipped the Itachi' Story (451-457) because it was badass and awesome to watch.

2 episodes of canon (458-459)
2 episodes of filler (460-461)
2 episodes of canon (462-463)
6 episodes of filler (464-469)

Then 470 down to 479 pretty much finishes the story, but once ****ing again you have four useless and garbage fillers that don't provide much depicting the stories we've already seen from 480 to 483.
Some of the fillers are quite good and do tell the background of the characters like the genesis of jutsus. That's very important and a needed filler compared to other fillers, but put them together instead having three episodes of canon, then three episodes of filler. It kills the pace. I had to write out all the filler versus canon to show you guys how dreadful it was. That was horrible to write. Okay fine, they grabbed her and sealed her away in another dimension which again comes up out of nowhere. Like, I still have no idea what her powers are similar to Naruto except by seeing she has some teleportation properties I guess?! One aspect I did enjoy was her one-shot move with the bone which turned everyone to ash. Cool, but my overall complaint is that Pain was stronger than she was.

Next, we get to the main fight of the series and that was way too short. But I couldn't fully enjoy it as I've done with other fights (Pain versus Naruto and Asuma vs Akatsuki) because the previous fight was done so damn horribly (Kaguya versus humanity). That left a sour taste in my mouth. However, I will admit it did put a smile on my face seeing Naruto and Sasuke go at each other and disregard any sort of defence like Heroine addicts with one needle left. That was a beautiful and well animated fight bringing the best out of the characters. I also enjoyed the "suffering or lost" aspect of it, because of how brutal this fight was, they lost something (their arms). It wasn't only fairies and unicorns, they gained something and lost something. Oh, to remind myself, I would like to say is that I believe more people should have died in the war. It's quite ridiculous and unrealistic that one generation in just one city in the Naruto universe were able to fight against the strongest opponents the world has ever seen only to have Neji die. Like what the ****?

After the Sasuke and Naruto fight, Sasuke acknowledges him and it comes to a good ending of the series. But yet, we have a bunch of effin random things after that, not only that, but raise more questions such as "why the hell did Tsunade just randomly leave her post as Hokage?". No I am being serious, like why did she decide to go into IDGAF mode with literally no meaning behind it? Don't worry because we have random time skips where I have no idea how long it has been. I guess to start Sasuke's Story, it is two years. But again, as a viewer how am I supposed to appreciate their strength when I have no ****ing clue what happened between episode 479 and 484. Fortunately, the Sasuke story is another bad ass piece of the universe and kept me quite inclined to keep watching. It was nice to see more blood born powers and the underworld of the Naruto universe. Definitely give this a 10 out of 10 if possible. We come to Shikamaru's story which again is extremely well done and thought out right after the events from the 4th Ninja War. Maybe a tad too short, but I was still captivated. Finally finish with Naruto's Wedding arc, though completely pointless, it was good. Some episodes were boring than others, but the Temari and Shukamaru one looking for bathhouse was unbelievably funny. Yet there were some more downsides such as there was another ****ing time skip where we have no clue how long it has been (my guess is six months or so). But you have the episodes, all seven of them and Naruto isn't in at least five of them. It's called Perfect Day for a Wedding which is Naruto's and he's in none of the episodes? Ehhhhhhh why? This includes the million times Hinata tells us he's on a mission, but no clue what mission is that.

Don't worry because it gets worst and that is the actual Shippuden storyline is so ****ing incomplete. For example, I finished Shippuden before watching Naruto's Last Movie or Boruto's Movie. The final episode of Shippuden pretty much does nothing in actually finishing the whole series. It does ****ing nothing. All it does is show Naruto and Hinata holding hands going to their wedding.

A show which requires other sources to explain the show's main storyline is horse **** in the highest order. The same issues that plagued Halo 5: Guardians plague Naruto where you have to read three novels, a comic book series, and listen to the podcasts to understand what is going on in the game. I get a better sense and the closing out after watching the two required movies, but it should not have happened this way. It's awful way to end a show which people adore, cherish, and gave countless hours to watch (and buy the product). Moreove, another of the main faults is we have no indication in what happened to the political environment after the war/series, just decided to return to their villages and return like nothing ever happened? No, that's no acceptable after watching at least 300 episodes to show the Kaguya and Sasuke fight.

Finally, Boruto was an awesome movie and showed the characters human side, specifically to Naruto and learning how to be a good father. But I again fall into the trap of another ****ing timeskip, where there is no suggestion or evidence in how long it has been. Like we have new Kage's for some of the countries, but no idea how they got their or what happened to the old ones. I spent time googling to figure out the amount of estimated years between Shippuden and the Boruto movie and my guess is 14 I think. The movie doesn't even do a good job explaining who the bad guys or what happened to Bee? Like did he die after getting the pill sucked out of him?

On the otherhand, all the character models are awesome and show such a good transition stage into adults/Jonins, but zero backstory in how they got there. They're just in random positions like Rock Lee being the ref for the Chunin fights, Tenten being security (I think), Sasuke is the Leaf's mailman I guess due to the amount of times he enters and leaves the village. Like if they explained that Sasuke took on Jiraiya's job in travelling the earth protecting the village that way, I would absolutely understand, but the viewer is left vague. Or is he continuing his sinner's journey into making things right, we never no idea. Also no idea why Kakashi decided to pull a Tsunade IDGAF mode and resign from being Hokage. His is more believable since he told multiple people he was setting it up for Naruto, but doesn't suffice for me. Furthermore, no backstory in how some of the couples married such as Choji and his wife along with others. On the good side, the Boruto movie wetted my appetite to definitely watch the series.

The absolutely worst thing though is the lack of moral justice and side switching that takes place. What I mean by this is that someone like Orochimaru who killed people, killed the third Hokage, and experimented on others against moral laws of 100% man, just to be given free roam after the war is another unacceptable scenario. Additionally, we see Sasuke arrested, but then given a complete and utterly fluke "get out of jail free card" out of thin air.

There are good moments in the finalization of the Naruto series, but there are other certain parts which bring the series down. Naruto could go on to have a Dragonball legacy, but I don't know if it does enough good in the closing 1/3 of the show to achieve this fame. 7/10.

Last edited:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Been watching too much netflix and playing games to watch much anime this season (other than rewatching Kuroko no Basuke). Got myself caught up on Food Wars at least. Will need to find some good stuff that is showing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is My Hero Academia worth watching? I've seen two episodes and it has really caught my interest, but it also reminds me too much of One Punch Man as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->