Gear Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongDrive

Nov 6, 2005
Hi Everyone!

I don't know if this is the best place to be asking this question, but I am slightly desperate, and would appreciate any help possible.

I am an american Expat living in Australia and am going to start playing Ice Hockey again after a ten year hiatus, in hopes of a new rink being built here in Melbourne. It would be financially unfeasable for me to get new gear here, but in a few weeks I am going back to the states for a Visit (San Fran, Portland, Seattle, New York + Vancouver)

My question is whether anyone could possibly recommend a good shop where I can get some affordable gear (Everything, Skates + the lot...) I like the prices I see online, but I have no idea what my size would be, and I dont think I would be comfortable going into a pro shop to get fitted and then walk out and get everything online.

If anyone has any suggestions in the metro areas of one of the cities listed above, I would be in your debt. Thank you very much!

Best,
Jeremy

Lord ZipLock

Aug 7, 2005
in new york wonderland at chelsea piers, its not that great and the prices are retail but sadly its the ebst you will find in manhattan.
Online is your best bet they have sizing guides so its not that hard.

Crossroads*

My friend is selling all of his hockey gear... fairly new as well (forward stuff). I have goaltending stuff if that's what you're looking for. Lemme know.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Well it all depends on your definition of affordable of course. I'd say that if your starting out and buying a WHOLE new set of gear, depending on which skates you buy, you can be looking at any where between $500 and about $1200. $500 being that everything is not all that great and $1200 being everything is top of the line.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer! Good luck.

LongDrive

Nov 6, 2005
Pck-

Thanks for your guidance and generous offer. I do need the whole kit though... I think my budget will be around 700-750. Ideally a little less. It would be more, but I have to pay quite a bit to ship this back to Australia. My largest concern are getting a pair of skates that will last for about two years, or at least getting fitted with a manufacturer that I can guarantee a similar fit if i order online for a second pair. Otherwise I am not too concerned with getting things top of the line until the new rink is up in around 2007. My final dream request would be to get one of those bags that are like backpacks for my gear, because I will be riding my motorcycle to the rink, something that can balance on me and the bike is a bonus.

All that being said, are there any key manufacturers/models i should be looking at, across the board? As I mentioned, Its been a long while since I last went shopping for gear. Last thing I bought was some micron m90's about 10 years ago! One look at hockeymonkey.com and I couldnt beleive the choice available! Even the slightest bit of guidance would mean a great deal!

Thanks again!

Best,
Jeremy

chum

Feb 27, 2002
LongDrive said:
Pck-

Thanks for your guidance and generous offer. I do need the whole kit though... I think my budget will be around 700-750. Ideally a little less. It would be more, but I have to pay quite a bit to ship this back to Australia. My largest concern are getting a pair of skates that will last for about two years, or at least getting fitted with a manufacturer that I can guarantee a similar fit if i order online for a second pair. Otherwise I am not too concerned with getting things top of the line until the new rink is up in around 2007. My final dream request would be to get one of those bags that are like backpacks for my gear, because I will be riding my motorcycle to the rink, something that can balance on me and the bike is a bonus.

All that being said, are there any key manufacturers/models i should be looking at, across the board? As I mentioned, Its been a long while since I last went shopping for gear. Last thing I bought was some micron m90's about 10 years ago! One look at hockeymonkey.com and I couldnt beleive the choice available! Even the slightest bit of guidance would mean a great deal!

Thanks again!

Best,
Jeremy
$700 is a easy budget to fit under.

$400 for skates, $80 for helmets. $50 for gloves, $35 for elbow pads, $40 for shin pads, $50 for shoulder pads, $50 for pants.

those are all mid-priced items except skates (top of the line) and helmets (top of the line) (i paid like 35 bucks for gloves.. 30 bucks for elbow pads.. 25 for shin pads. 35 bucks for shoulder pads and like 20 bucks for pants)

personally i have a really good helmet and skates and the rest of the stuff are just lowest quality possible

assuming you don't need jerseys.. sticks... socks.. tapes and wax. etc.

ps. buy plenty of tapes in canada. much cheaper there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad