GDT: Qf Finland - USA 17:35 CET 02-22-06

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Jokeri said:
Finland is the favourite. If Niittymäki is good and they can get the game flying right away and 1st line is in shape this should be a win. If USA can get the Finns speed away and stay out of the box they have a chance. But still it will be a close game and everything can happen. I say 3-2 or 3-1 to Finland.

Finnish coach wants more goals from Olli Jokinen and the whole 2nd line. (J.Jokinen and Peltonen) I agree, we need goals from others too. Can the 1st line fly in every game?

Let's see BRING IT ON! :yo:

Yes, I hope that J. Jokinen and Peltonen scores more, although they already have scoring points. But so far Finland depends too much on T. Selänne, S. Koivu, J. Lehtinen and O. Jokinen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
blacklabel said:
That doesn't mean he's a Finland hater.

All I know is that atleast every public Swede always supports Finland while YLE announcers makes things up to drag Swedes in the mud. Guess its the little brother complex... :shakehead

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Ola said:
All I know is that atleast every public Swede always supports Finland while YLE announcers makes things up to drag Swedes in the mud. Guess its the little brother complex... :shakehead
What the hell are you talking about? What has YLE announcers done to "make things up to drag Swedes in the mud"?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Ola said:

??

Every Fifa World Cup the YLE announcers tell us to support our neighbours (Sweden).. every world cup.

I still root for Italy.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ola said:
Hows the atmosphere in Finland?

I heard you commenators were saying that Sweden intentionally missed shots ect. against Switzerland. Thats just ridicoulus. They didn't come to play but saying that they intentionally missed shots is just made up BS.

The only reason I can come up with that is that Finland are extremely nervous of loosing in the QF?

Just asking because I am planning on making a big big bet on USA?

Yes, our announcers play in Team Finland so put all your savings on USA because they sure are nervous!! :sarcasm:

Honestly, the game last night looked like Sweden was trying to miss shots and especially on the 5 on 3 powerplay they kept passing the puck from almost certain scoring positions. And kept coughing up the puck in the neutral zone and their defensive zone.

Sweden tanked that game on purpose, but can anyone blame them? They had a chance to pick Switzerland, anyone would have done the same.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Raimo Sillanpää said:
??

Every Fifa World Cup the YLE announcers tell us to support our neighbours (Sweden).. every world cup.

I still root for Italy.
And it's pretty obvious that Mertaranta always supports Sweden when Finland is not playing. He tries to be objective, but it isn't very hard to notice that he's 'cheering for' Sweden.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
blacklabel said:
And it's pretty obvious that Mertaranta always supports Sweden when Finland is not playing. He tries to be objective, but it isn't very hard to notice that he's 'cheering for' Sweden.
More to the point: I like him as an announcer, but he just doesn't know hockey well. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. The stuff about Swedes shooting three meters wide from tow meters was funny though, as was Modin "falling" on a partial breakaway and Tellan getting a "careless" penalty right after for shooting the puck out of the rink.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
The USA is the only big7 team that has managed to play worse than Sweden so far, so Finland should win easily.

But then again, one should never count the americans out.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
teme said:
More to the point: I like him as an announcer, but he just doesn't know hockey well. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.
I agree. Even though his hockey knowledge isn't very good, he's still the best announcer we have.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'll be shocked if this isn't a shut-out for Finland. They may not score a whole bunch, but shut down the US's anemic offense they will.

I'm going to say 4-0 final.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
The FIN 3rd line of Pikkuhakki-Kapanen-Nemo
has picked up their game a little bit. I'd say they
could step up in this game too.

Of course Teemu-Saku-Jere is the most dangerous
one, Ville-OJ-JJ should start finding the net a little
more often and hopefully even the "chain gang" with
Laaksonen-MKoivu-Ruutu can put pressure on the
US defense. Hentunen starts as the 13th warrior today.

Def looks like this:
Timonen-Numminen
Nummelin-Salo
Berg-Lydi

And AJ as the 7th D.

Sami Salo scores today?

Roger's Pancreas*

Leo Naphta said:
The USA is the only big7 team that has managed to play worse than Sweden so far, so Finland should win easily.

But then again, one should never count the americans out.

Statistically yes, but I think that USA has atleast tried for night in and night out. They just don't have the skill to capitalize on the chances they generate, unlike Sweden.

My prediction: Finland 3 USA 1 (we haven't been shutout yet!)

SChan*

blacklabel said:
What the hell are you talking about? What has YLE announcers done to "make things up to drag Swedes in the mud"?

wasn't it the YLE announcers that had a source that Forsberg couldn't play in olympics?

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
SectionX said:
wasn't it the YLE announcers that had a source that Forsberg couldn't play in olympics?

It was a rumour going around the olympic village. The announcer (Mertaranta) was just repeating what he heard. He didn't make up anything. Chill.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
TK79 said:
It would be a bit odd if the USA were to win and be in the top 4 with just one win the entire tournament.

It wouldn't be the Olympics if it were any other way.

So much of the olympics are about rising to the occasion when the gold is on the line, and so little is about cumulative play.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I see the special teams as the key to victory. The USA powerplay looked very good last night against Russia. But Finland is generally disciplined. I really expect a tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->