Post-Game Talk: [GDT] Primary city vs equatic flightless birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Goaltender wins are still legit wins. We should probably show more gratitude towards just how well Holtby is playing lately. They're definitely sliding as a defensive unit but he's consistently been a difference maker.

In a few years the Holtby contract might look like a steal. He has proven he can be a top tier G.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
that's for high sticking.

I'm just saying I can't believe we dodged a call against us. If that was Wilson or Ovy I think the results might be different. Huge judgement call on the "defenseless" part that went in our favor IMO.

BOARDING

A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
that's for high sticking.
There is a provision in the Boarding that if there is a head injury (blood) and a Major was called then a GM must be called also. The wording is a little odd because Minor/Major is impact with the boards and nothing else, and the GM wording has the injury part. So technically there could be a Major without a GM the way it reads, but doubt it ever happens. Safe to say that majority of incidents with blood from the head results in a Major/GM though.

Actually shocked Oshie got nothing for it. Perfectly fine if they would have called a Minor.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Great the "Caps are the team to beat" thread just made the general board too cringeworthy

It was interesting to see the other team's fans opinion on us. Some of them are gushing over us and pumping our tires really hard, but some of them scoff at us. The best post in that thread is the guy who said that he has very little faith in a top 6 led by Ovi, NB and Kuzy compared to the other team's top 6s. Okay bud :laugh:

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
It was interesting to see the other team's fans opinion on us. Some of them are gushing over us and pumping our tires really hard, but some of them scoff at us. The best post in that thread is the guy who said that he has very little faith in a top 6 led by Ovi, NB and Kuzy compared to the other team's top 6s. Okay bud :laugh:

Usually a good sign when your worst top 6 forward is getting a ton of interest from other gms

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
underperforming Ovi, dissipating PP, floundering game overall, but the caps are on the top of the standings with tough wins decided by one goal. Welcome back into 2010/11 :sarcasm:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fwiw, compared to the 09-10 team this squad's GAA and GFA is a little less than one goal lower in both cases. And that team led the league in GFA, iirc. So we score about one less, but give up one less.

What's more likely to win in the playoffs?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I know! Scoring more goals and allowing less goals against the teams that will actually make the playoffs!

Ok. Is playoff hockey the same style as regular season hockey? How well did blowing the doors off of every team in the regular season work out for us in the playoffs? How many teams have won the Cup just pumping shots on net and scoring 4-5 goals a game when there's only 2 points on the line, vs winner-take-all blood-matches in a 7 game series?

Remember the MTL series in 2010? We outshot the hell out of them, iirc, but it seemed like all they needed were a few rushes up the ice to put one by us. Better goaltending and defense is necessary in the playoffs. So is protecting leads.

That said, I hate the turtle. I think there's a difference between being a balanced team on both sides of the ice and just trying to park the bus until the horn blows. If you can keep the other team on their heels, DO IT. That's less time and energy you have to spend defending, and less wear and tear on your players (shotblocking, netminding, getting crushed on the defensive boards, etc).

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yeah, I agree with that. With all our talents, let's not forget we only play one real shutdown defenseman in our roster and only have one true checking line. Much better to grind their bones in the o-zone.

Jun 15, 2007
The turtle is frustrating to watch and the fans hate it but it must be effective. Else why would so many coaches employ it.

We are 14-0-0 when leading after the second period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->