Post-Game Talk: [GDT] Primary city vs equatic flightless birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think it's accepted by every single fanbase that the Penguins have the worst PXP guys. They are cringe worthy.

Those guys also complained that Holtby wears oversized pants and oversized shoulder pads

They said Lundy does as well.

I figure all Gs wear oversized everything in the modern era

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think the Caps looked better or even significantly better overall in this game than on average so far this seasn, but the Pens still mostly carried the play and Holtby was the big difference.

I think it's pretty clear Ovechkin has been quite subpar by his standards. I think a big part of that is him coasting through the regular season -- I hope that's the case -- that he's doing the minimum that's being asked for him, such as more attention in the defensive zone, and that's it.

Kuz might ultimately be a (slightly) better fit with Ovi, but ultimately if Ovi is not playing with energy, any line the Caps put around him is gonna be underwhelming. Especially since all the Caps top-6 centers and RWs don't have the motors/wheels to compensate for another guy.

I would want to try Ovi-Kuz-Wilson. They won't win the possession battle, but may have lots of "sudden havoc" potential.

Would be really nice if Backstrom and Oshie indeed find chemistry together. That could be another line, with Mojo/Bura. And then Williams can help out the 3rd line and/or take some shifts with Ovi-Kuz, as well.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
12-3-2 over the past 17. 9-1-1 in the last 11. That's how.
In his last 12 games, Braden Holtby is 11-0-1 and has a 1.75 goals against average and a .944 save percentage.
That's how we are 9-1-1. Holtby beasting and bad teams opposing. No need to plan the parade yet.
His production has gone down ever since those 2 consecutive coaches challenges.
Yeah, but getting screwed is not an excuse. He would be below PPG with those 2 goals too.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Yeah, OV is coasting, (not a new phenomenon), but after 10 years I'll be more than happy if he brings it in the playoffs.

I expect him to pick it up in Feb.

Hard to be anything other than pleased with the state of things.

A couple smart, low-risk deals at the deadline and :popcorn:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yeah, but getting screwed is not an excuse. He would be below PPG with those 2 goals too.

That is true, but I'm pretty sure if he is not screwed on those calls, his next 4 games are not 4GP 0G 0A.

Ovie is possibly more than a little rattled by these things. There is a very big PPG difference before and after his suspension.

Maybe no multi-goal games is a result of that scratched game, etc. As his best goal was in game 1.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Parades dont plan themselves.

I already got my "most fraudulent sc winner" sign.

Also holtby might want to join ovis coaster club sometime.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
That's the case with the most NHL announcers. Last time Tampa's and today Pens', they praise every little fart by their team and mention the opposition only for complains. Though Tampa's announcers praised Kuzy for his goal.

I thought the Tampa announcers were better than Pittsburgh's.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know things are going well when the biggest complaint is that Ovi has 25 pts in 28 games instead of the 28 in 28 he should be having :handclap:

I'll be honest, Ovi's production is the least of my concerns, I won't lose any sleep over it as long as the team does well.

At some point his numbers are going to come down....could happen any time IMO. He's conserving himself more than he's coasting IMO...

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
At some point his numbers are going to come down....could happen any time IMO. He's conserving himself more than he's coasting IMO...

I think it is clear that he is not giving it his all. Around 2008-2010 I recall thinking that one of the major if not the major reasons he was so dominant was that he tried so hard every single shift. His compete level was just insane. I am not seeing anywhere near that level of effort the past 2 years at least, but he still manages to produce. I could be wrong, but I think his best seasons were when he HAD to be the guy to drag this team into the playoffs.

We are seeing a little dip in production right now after a very good preseason for him. I feel like he is conserving himself for the playoffs. At least I hope so.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I think it is clear that he is not giving it his all. Around 2008-2010 I recall thinking that one of the major if not the major reasons he was so dominant was that he tried so hard every single shift. His compete level was just insane. I am not seeing anywhere near that level of effort the past 2 years at least, but he still manages to produce. I could be wrong, but I think his best seasons were when he HAD to be the guy to drag this team into the playoffs.

We are seeing a little dip in production right now after a very good preseason for him. I feel like he is conserving himself for the playoffs. At least I hope so.

Perhaps to boost his compete level he can join Holtby for the pre-game eye movement exercises.

I'd pay to see that. :laugh:

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Last year Ovechkin had 23 points after 28 games. At the end of the season, 81 in 81.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would want to try Ovi-Kuz-Wilson. They won't win the possession battle, but may have lots of "sudden havoc" potential.

There are no signs of Wilson being able to score in playoffs against top goalies like Henrik. While such a line could be fun in regular season, Ovi just needs his linemates to be dangerous for the opposing goalie. Wilson is mostly dangerous for the health of opposing skaters.

Also, Williams 100% deserves to play with top C.

I bet they will keep the top-6 intact.

@Ovi coasting... We don't need him burning himself too early. No doubt, he's very big man and spurting left and right in every game will wear him down physically (and he's still our hits leader, right?) so I'm pretty sure he can switch up himself in the intensity department. There is just no reason to do it yet (health-wise). Zero. We aren't even noticing Orpik's absence. Didn't miss a beat at all.

@Ovi's PPG: 25 points in 28 games screams at least PPG at the end of season. I doubt there was a season when his points pace was lower after mid December.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I never ***** and moan on here after a game but it's clear Ovechkin hasn't been great

I wasn't directing the ***** and moan at you directly, more so in general to the people who can't enjoy anything.

And with regards to Ovie "coasting," (which he's not), I'd be FAR more concerned about his play if we were the Penguins and Ovie was playing like Crosby. And let's look at the big picture here: we've been BEGGING for 10 years to get Ovie some help on his RW, to find a 2C, to round out our top 6, to acquire a veteran or two who have been there in the play-offs, to become a nastier, more physical team to play against, to have a deep blueline, to have a Vezina-caliber goalie... and now that we have all of those things, we're complaining about what, exactly? That during our win streak we're not playing good enough? That we're not dominating every shift? That Ovechkin is slightly below PPG instead of scoring every night?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I wasn't directing the ***** and moan at you directly, more so in general to the people who can't enjoy anything.

And with regards to Ovie "coasting," (which he's not), I'd be FAR more concerned about his play if we were the Penguins and Ovie was playing like Crosby. And let's look at the big picture here: we've been BEGGING for 10 years to get Ovie some help on his RW, to find a 2C, to round out our top 6, to acquire a veteran or two who have been there in the play-offs, to become a nastier, more physical team to play against, to have a deep blueline, to have a Vezina-caliber goalie... and now that we have all of those things, we're complaining about what, exactly? That during our win streak we're not playing good enough? That we're not dominating every shift? That Ovechkin is slightly below PPG instead of scoring every night?

Could not have said it better myself. Thank you sir. :handclap:

This team is the most enjoyable Capitals team to watch that I can recall at the age of 30. (Clearly some of the BB teams were entertaining to watch because of run and fun hockey, but they weren't complete teams) Enjoy it!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovie is definitely coasting. Watch him sometimes later in games or shifts. His linemates are still at 80%-100% speed and he's fully upright, floating around. He's playing opportunistic Oatesian hockey.

Right now it's not a big deal. Others are producing and the team is winning. But the record is not proof Ovie isn't coasting or that it CAN'T be a problem. It will be an issue if the team starts to slide or develop bad habits and suddenly it's on Ovie to "flip the switch" by himself. He's going to have to flip his own personal switch later in the year anyway.

I have no doubt this is due to the team being atop the standings and looking ahead toward the playoffs. We've seen how well riding out a season has worked for them before. This time had better be different.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovie is definitely coasting. Watch him sometimes later in games or shifts. His linemates are still at 80%-100% speed and he's fully upright, floating around. He's playing opportunistic Oatesian hockey.

Right now it's not a big deal. Others are producing and the team is winning. But the record is not proof Ovie isn't coasting or that it CAN'T be a problem. It will be an issue if the team starts to slide or develop bad habits and suddenly it's on Ovie to "flip the switch" by himself. He's going to have to flip his own personal switch later in the year anyway.

Does flipping the switch ever work? Seems to me hockey is habitual - that is to say if you always play hard then you are in better shape to play hard all the time. If you are not used to it you'll just get gassed.

I thought Ovie looked winded at times last night. He didn't have the acceleration. I also noticed him upright when there were plays to be made. That said, he's also been far more defensively responsible than ever before.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Does flipping the switch ever work? Seems to me hockey is habitual - that is to say if you always play hard then you are in better shape to play hard all the time. If you are not used to it you'll just get gassed.

I thought Ovie looked winded at times last night. He didn't have the acceleration. I also noticed him upright when there were plays to be made. That said, he's also been far more defensively responsible than ever before.

He's not winded, he is definitely conserving his energy for some reason. Remember when he was trying to break Fedorov's record? He was skating all over the place and was a shot machine. He had a dominant performance against the Wings with 15 shots but alas he had to face a hot goalie.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What I like is that we have 4 players with the bull-in-a-china-shop mentality. Ovi, Oshie, Wilson and Orpik.
Speaking of Orpik, this team needs him. He's the vet presence that will stabilize the D, I hope he comes back ASAP.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Goaltender wins are still legit wins. We should probably show more gratitude towards just how well Holtby is playing lately. They're definitely sliding as a defensive unit but he's consistently been a difference maker.

I don't think Orpik stabilizes the D so much as it shifts Schmidt down to the third pair where he's a massive improvement over Chorney. For me their shots against slide is due to that as much as anything.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

haha true, i'm so happy with this team now and enjoying this ride mostly by reading the main and other teams boards. But we are the Caps fans and have been laid down so many times and it's understandable that we are very obnoxious.

That's being said, the Caps certainly relay on Holtby a lot. But who wouldn't? Maybe Trotz need to put Grubauer more often out there, so the team will play tighter and kind of used to to the average goaltending just in case? Just a crazy idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad