Canada
Czech Republic

bring it on!

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Den said:
There's a slight chance of US being out, if Kaz wins today and against Latvia and the US loosing today and to Russia

I hope that doesn't happen because that would mean that the 1st placed team from the other group gets an easy matchup in the quarter finals while everyone else is battling it out..

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Great goaltending from Kolesnik would have done the job for the kazakhs today but Kolesnik was merely good. Both goals he gave up he was not under control and put himself well out of position. Slovakia were asleep for virtually the entire game, playing enough good 1 on 1 D to keep the kazakhs away from their net. Pretty awful game but that happens sometimes.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
A lot of surprising scores thus far in the tournament...

Looks like all of the big 7 are getting their "stinkers" out of the way in the round robin portion of the tournament.

Slovakia barely beats Kazakhstan 2-1
Russia the same, only 1-0
Sweden gets romped 5-0 by the Russians
Canada and the Czechs both lose to the Swiss
USA ties Latvia...

That just leaves Finland. :dunno:

(Obviously no disrespect meant to the nations outside of the Big 7, who played hard (especially the Swiss) but there are some very surprising events thus far)

shawn_kemp*

I can't believe the Czechs will face Slovakia in the quarterfinals!!!!!!!!!!!

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
MOGiLNY said:
Here's how it works: if Switzerland beat Italy, they will finish 3rd most likely and the Czechs will finish 4th in their group.

in our group, we are most likely to finish 2nd because first of all I don't believe that Slovakia will lose today, and 2nd of all, even if they do, as long as they have same amount of points as Russia, Slovaks get the nod because they beat us.

if Sweden wins today though and Slovakia loses, we will all be tied in points and then we count the goal differential where Russia probably has the advantage after today's game..

realistically though, I think this is what will happen:

group a:
Canada
Finland
Switzerland
Czech Republic

group b:
Slovakia
Russia
Sweden
USA

Here's what it looks like to me, if Finland hangs on to beat Canada today:

Group B
--------
If Slovakia beats Sweden: 1. Slovakia 2. Russia 3. Sweden 4. USA
Same if Slovakia and Sweden tie, unless USA beats Russia, in which case Sweden 2nd and Russia 3rd.
If Sweden beats Slovakia, then... if Russia beats USA: 1. Russia 2. Sweden 3. Slovakia... if USA beats/ties Russia: 1. Sweden 2. Slovakia 3. Russia

Group A
--------
1. Finland
2. Swiss, unless they lose to Italy, in which case they are 3rd and Canada-Czech winner is 2nd.
3. Canada, if they beat or tie Czechs.
4. Czechs, unless they beat Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->