GDT - CHL top Prospects game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Brock said:
I hope this game opened up the eyes to many at how skilled Rob Schremp truly is. I have disagreed with how some of the scouting companies like CSB and Redline have ranked Schremp and maybe it's because of this supposed attitude problem. But quite frankly I don't care. Everytime he's on the ice, magic has the chance to happen. He makes every line he touches, a line that could put the puck in the net at any opportunity. I truly believe that Schremp is still the second best player available for this draft, behind Ovechkin. And whether anyone wants to agree with me, or whether the scouting agencies don't agree with me that is, then so be it.

Nobody is denying his skill. I agree with you (and have agreed with you long before tonight) on your 'Schremp is underrated' tirades. But it's a similar story as it was with Patty O'Sullivan last year. Very, very skilled, just a lot of teams are scared off by his attitude. I agree, much of it isn't fair, but that's the jist of things.

I do think Schremp is a top 5 guy. I still think Malkin is a slightly better guy though. I will agree with you that he is the best player in the CHL though! Only Cam Barker, in my mind, is close.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Spelling may be off but these are my notes from the game:

Berti - Shoots from everywhere. Good strength, Gritty, Smyth type player

Schremp - Best player, all around offense, what a damn move, quick, nice shot, what a better move.

Barker - Great skater, not great breakout passes, excellent PK'er, very fast

Ladd - Great down low, nice hockey sence, Doan type player

Bolland - Niffty moves, plays in front, pesty, nice sence

Wolski - Nice positioning, hard worker, offensve pressence, Jeff ONeill type

Comeau - Really nice vision, great playmaker, Gomez type player

Byers - Drives to net, mean, willing to fight, gritty, Tucker all over

Sersen - 2nd best dmen, very physical, great defensivly, positionaly sound

Green - Best dmen, Niedermayer with a mix of Jovo, what a damn hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pohl - Vrana #2, great stickhandler, reminds me alot of St Louis

Picard - Not a great first, really pysical and tough, good offensive skills, Gagne with mean streak

Laliberte - Nice moves, good speed

McGrath - Not impressed at all

Hunter - Played a good tough third period

Sterber - Was horrible, one nice play in third

Graham - Big, slow, nice hands, nice shot Dagenais #2

I have this one tape so I will look at it after the draft once the names get better in my mind.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Wolski and Schremp each get the game's MVP for their respected teams, no surprise their as both played very well.

Scoring: (with some gaps)
1)Orr - Blake Comeau - (Ladd, Schremp)
2) Orr - Andrew Ladd - (Scremp, Comeau)
3) Orr - Robbie Schremp - (Comeau, ?????)
4) Cherry - Adam Berti - (Barker, ????)
5) Cherry - Wojtek Wolski - (Rogers, Bolland)
6)Orr - Eric Hunter - (Bickell, McGrath)
7) Orr - Boris Valabik - (Carson, ????)
8) Orr - Bruce Graham - (????,????)

The goaltending wasn't great IMO, Dubnyk was the only goalie who had a shutout. No shortage of Big hits as Fistric, Byers, Green, Valabik and Picard threw some bone crushing checks. The score should have been closer, but Ellis let in some softies and that unlucky bounce off Barker's skate (on the Valabik goal) also costed team Cherry. All together a fairly good game....... definitely gives you some idea of where these kids stand amongst their own class.

Bolland - Niffty moves, plays in front, pesty, nice sence
He looked good, I think Bolland is comparable to Mike Peca in his general style of play, although Peca is probably a little tougher and Bolland may have the softer hands.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
lowetide said:
I like Barker, nice calm feet, and clearly a good passer. I don't remember one year to the next (or really one MINUTE to the next) but don't these kids seem bigger than normal?
They all look like NHL'er out there. Barker and Green are a new breed of defensmen. Green actually looks like a miz of JBo and Phaneuf, it is scary too.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I have watched Berti for some time now, and seeing him today against all this other great talent has lead me to think that he is even better then I previously though. Berti should definitly be a 1st round pick.

sundinfan13

Dec 26, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I know no videos are available now, but when someone finds where the highlights are can you please post. I'm anxious to see this Schremp goal, that everyone is talkin' about

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
sundinfan13 said:
I know no videos are available now, but when someone finds where the highlights are can you please post. I'm anxious to see this Schremp goal, that everyone is talkin' about
Just watch t.v you should see it :dunno:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Its the schremp shot that I was going crazy over, he did the crosby move in the slot spun around and fired on the backhand, it didn't go in but it was nutz.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Berti was better then Wolski IMO I still would have had Barker ahead of both of those guys.

I agree Barker should have gotten and was actually rather surprised he didn't. I also agree that Berti had a better game than Wolski who I thought was rather unimpressive by his standards. (which is still rather good though :))

Some general thoughts:

Up front, it looks like the OHL is tops again. Last year they had Staal, Horton, Brown, Richards, Burns, Stewart, Carter etc. This years group isn't as impressive but still has plenty of talent. Schremp (#1 in NA), Wolski (#2 in NA), Bolland and Berti all looked good. McGrath had an off night but he is still a talent. I also liked Picard who was banging and skating well. He certainly isn't the stereotypical soft, one dimensional french player. I was kind of dissapointed with Ladd. He certainly played well but I just don't see how he is ranked higher than Schremp and Wolski. :dunno:

On defense, the WHL clearly has the top guys with Green and Barker leading the way. There are also lots of intriguing defensive prospects this year. There might not be any major offensive standouts (besides Barker and possibly Green) but a lot of tough, potential stay at home defenseman in the future. I am still dissapointed Maunu didn't get an invite.

I have watched Berti for some time now, and seeing him today against all this other great talent has lead me to think that he is even better then I previously though. Berti should definitly be a 1st round pick.

He will likely go in the top two rounds. He could be a real sleeper in the draft.

He looked good, I think Bolland is comparable to Mike Peca in his general style of play, although Peca is probably a little tougher and Bolland may have the softer hands.

Maybe it's just me, but I always think of Mike Richards when I see Bolland. Both are small, gritty, hard working forwards. They both have skill but aren't the flashy type. They just get the job done.

I don't remember one year to the next (or really one MINUTE to the next) but don't these kids seem bigger than normal?

These kids are definetly huge. Something's not right when a guy like Bickell looks average size. What this group of players may be lacking in skill (particularly compared to the very talented '85 draft class), they make up for in size.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well he sure didn't show it tonight, if anyone needs to argue I will watch the game again :)

Refering to the Daganais comment.

Last edited:

Hitman*

HackeyFan said:
Ya can you say showoff? Trying WAAAAY to hard to get the scouts to notice him.

Heaven forbid a player try to get some extra attention in a showcase game.

parisefan55

Dec 30, 2003
Brock said:
I hope this game opened up the eyes to many at how skilled Rob Schremp truly is. I have disagreed with how some of the scouting companies like CSB and Redline have ranked Schremp and maybe it's because of this supposed attitude problem. But quite frankly I don't care. Everytime he's on the ice, magic has the chance to happen. He makes every line he touches, a line that could put the puck in the net at any opportunity. I truly believe that Schremp is still the second best player available for this draft, behind Ovechkin. And whether anyone wants to agree with me, or whether the scouting agencies don't agree with me that is, then so be it.

I was at the game tonight and I will certainly agree 100% with you on this one. Schremp set out to have a huge game and that he did, and then some. Anytime this guy is on the ice he is a sheer pleasure to watch. The moves this guy has are downright sickening.

Another important thing that I noticed about Schremp is that he isn't nearly as selfish as others would lead you to believe. He is always aware of where his teammates are and he made some very nice passes today as well.

I think playing for Dale Hunter has helped his defensive game a ton. He was very resposible on the backcheck of every shift. Robbie also looks like he's been killing it in the weightroom, he's definatly gotten bigger since the last time I saw him at the begining of the season.

All the off ice stuff about this guy is ridiculous, he didnt want to stay in Mississauga, SO WHAT?!? neither did Spezza, Dickenson, Wiseman and anyone else half decent that has ever played there. They picked him 1'st overall....he could have cried like Wes O'Neill did and not report to the team that picked him, but he didn't. Instead, he reported, won Rookie of the Year and led the team to the playoffs when O'Sullivan was going through his deal. Maybe people dont like the way he handled the trade demand this year, but hey, this is his future, he did what he had to do. I've met Robbie several times, and he is one of the most polite and nicest players around.

I think he has shut up a lot of fools for the time being. He was head and shoulders above ALL the other players out there tonight and if he doesn't crack the top 3 in this draft I will be shocked. I can see someone trading up to get him at the #2 spot. Say what you want about Malkin and Olsez, Schremp is a wizzard plain and simple...there is just too much in him for many teams to pass up!!!!!

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
Barker

I can't believe we were watching the same game, maybe I just look for different things in my left wingers, oh that right, Barker's a D man, you could have fooled me. I thought Barker, as usual, was terrible in his own end. Out of all the break out passes he made how many were on the tape . . . 2 of 10 at the most, yup great break out passer. Before he deflected the puck into his own net (he was also horribly out of position on that penalty kill and thought he could stop the puck with his skate, watch the replay he watches the puck right to his foot) he also stoped a puck with his skate and kicked it right into the slot for another quality scoring chance for Team Orr. If Barker knew anything of positioning in his own end that last goal never would have been scored. That was his man (Graham) and if he was with his man and not following the puck around like a junior novice player (and watching it being passed between his legs) and been with Graham in front like he should have, Graham would not have scored the goal.

Green and Valabik were clearly the best two dmen in the game. the both made smart decisions with the puck, they can shoot pass and don't look totally lost in their own end of the rink. I just don't understand why everybody is so high up on Barker . . . he would make a better left winger.

Dave

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Meh...

I watched the highlights and wow...Schremp is a player in the making and scouts definitely got to see what he is made of tonight.

As for that awesome "Crosbylike" move...i think it is highly overrated. I am a tender so i struggle when attempting it but i watch the Lethbridge Hurricanes practice on a regular basis and John Lammers, and a number of others, have pulled that move at just as high of speeds in the past.

An underrated player that i hope garners some attention in the mid-to-late rounds is #9 for the Hurricanes, Kris Versteeg. He is now leading us in points and can really play the game despite a lack of size.

Another guy i wouldn't pass up in the mid-to-late rounds from Lethbridge is #24, Michal Gulasi, because he works so hard, plays physical and is pretty solid at both ends considering he makes a nice first pass 9 times out of 10.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
How Was Boris Valabik?, he mmight very well end up being the latest addition to dudley's redwoods defense (bouwmeester,biron,mezei,kudroc), duds loves his tall d-men.

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Its the schremp shot that I was going crazy over, he did the crosby move in the slot spun around and fired on the backhand, it didn't go in but it was nutz.

he also came about 2 inches from smoking his own teamate in the face.there's a reason players in the nhl don't do that move.nice to see though the kids got some nice hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad