GDT: 2/4/05 NHL & NHLPA Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Lady Rhian said:
Hi bruins4419, long time no see. Hope things are going great for you, hun. Miss ya.

I hear you, crosscheck. Been a long winter without hockey. :(
Hope things are good for you too. :) You know, other then the days of torture.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Devilsfanatic said:
Here's what I think....they broke it off last night to iron out the finer details in eachothers arguement, for or against cap, and today is the final presentation from each side, in which they say here's why we like the cap, here's what you'll get out of it, and the other will say here's why we disagree with what you said. Im hoping they cancel the season though, I wouldn't award the Stanley Cup for a 28 game season, it's a sham.

If they cancel the season then the NHL will struggle to survive. They have already dimished their fan base up to this point and people are becomming less and less interested in whether or not there is a season. If no hockey is played this year and they try and come back in October (possibly Oct. of 06 according to some opinions) then the $2.1B they could have been enjoying will be greatly reduced. It could spell the end of the league as we no it. I think both sides recognize that and are not going to scramble to get a deal done at the "deadline" and then scrap the season. A 28 game regular season follwed by a regular playoffs would not, IMO, be a sham in any way.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Devilsfanatic said:
Im hoping they cancel the season though, I wouldn't award the Stanley Cup for a 28 game season, it's a sham.

that's some strange logic...at this point, any hockey is good IMO

MissConduct22

Feb 24, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Howard Berger was just on The Fan590 commenting on how a truck pulled up to the building they are meeting in with 6 gigantic pizza boxes. He asked the security guard where they were headed, and the guard said the NHL/NHLPA meetings on the 49th floor.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
CrosbyFan#87 said:
Howard Berger was just on The Fan590 commenting on how a truck pulled up to the building they are meeting in with 6 gigantic pizza boxes. He asked the security guard where they were headed, and the guard said the NHL/NHLPA meetings on the 49th floor.
I bet they ordered pizza from brooklyn. Brooklyn has the best pizza

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Devilsfanatic said:
Im hoping they cancel the season though, I wouldn't award the Stanley Cup for a 28 game season, it's a sham.

This is bad logic. Cancelling the season is not in the Leagues best interest any way you look at it. I posted this is another thread and I will continue the logic here, the playoffs are a HUGE source of revenue for the NHL. So far they have LOST huge sums of money and one of the mains ways they can hope to compensate for this season is through a highly successful playoffs. And how can these playoffs not be successful? Aside from some purists on these boards whining about the legitimacy of the Cup, you have two nations ripe with people rabid for hockey. The amount of people on these boards alone demonstrates how badly people are craving NHL hockey. You bring that back and have a good playoffs, bam, huge amounts of cash. There is heightened demand for the sport right now, shortened season or not holding playoff hockey is definitely in the best interest of the league when they are hard up for money and playoffs are such a huge source of it.

Sorry Purists, but if the league can salvage this season and have at least 28 games, they will do it because it is financially viable and could help them at least marginalize the losses they suffered during this lockout.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Maybe the pizza boxes contained the NHL's special proposal!!!! Probably not. Hopefully nobody gets sleepy after eating a bunch of pizza.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Lundmark17 said:
Maybe the pizza boxes contained the NHL's special proposal!!!! Probably not. Hopefully nobody gets sleepy after eating a bunch of pizza.

could have had guns in those boxes, too! :D

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If I heard correctly, I just caught the tail end of it, but on the fan 590, they said that Jocelyn Thibault is the latest player to come out and say, the players would accept playing under a cap...

Shadder

Jan 26, 2005
neelynugs said:
that's some strange logic...at this point, any hockey is good IMO

I have to agree. At this point I'd be thrilled to see a 28 game schedule. It sure beats the heck out of the alternative.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
417 TO MTL said:
If I heard correctly, I just caught the tail end of it, but on the fan 590, they said that Jocelyn Thibault is the latest player to come out and say, the players would accept playing under a cap...
He is the players rep right?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
"Here you go sir, six pizza salari cappiones with extra cheese"

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I think it is interesting all the people saying "I hope the season is cancelled". Ok, so yu want a cap, why do we care? If the owners think its the right deal I could care less if it has a cap, no cap, or something in-between. I just want to watch the Wild play, and I would prefer that to be sooner rather than later. It's not like I make any money on it. Pay them in Snow Cones for all I care.

Vic Rattlehead*

Pizza right away? That's interesting, hopefully they didn't forget the extra toppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->