GDT: 2/3//05 NHL and PA meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

What time did the meeting start?

But I agree they're gonna have to meet for more than 10 hours if something is to be done.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
crossxcheck said:
I've proably missed this discussion, but why not take the "luxury tax" system the players developed and just make the penalties more harsh. In a way both sides could save face that way. :dunno:

All i can say is what both aides said in the past. Bettman said the luxury tax wont do anything. Thats was on the players tax proposal. And the players said they wont take a luxury tax that acts like a cap. Now i beleive the players would now take a luxury tax with a harsh taxes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
cuz the NHL wants a hard cap, not a luxery tax?

they even stated as much in their last proposal

this is where i think it gets dumb...i've always thought that if the league was willing to raise a hard cap level up high enough, the players should take it cuz that can be worked into a good deal for both sides with some tweaking. by the same token, if the a luxery tax system is stiff enough, the league shouldn't be adverse to taking it as well, probably with some tweaking

i still think a good deal can be worked out for both sides without either side really "winning". but if both sides are completely intent on "winning" then i dunno how long it's gonna take

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Ah yes, the fate of the NHL, the players, the owners, the fans (ie - the community), all being decided by a bunch of lawyers. I would say that we, as a community, are getting exactly what we deserve....

Please note - I am not trying to turn this into a "I dislike lawyers" thread.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
I just dont see how something like 100% tax over $40m, 150% tax over $45m and a 200% tax over $50m wouldn't be ok for the league. I'm not the most knowledgable on this subject, so please feel free to shoot holes in this.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
JWI19 said:
If anyone is close to the hotel do me a favor. Run to Home Depot, buy a chain and a pad lock. Go to the hotel and lock them in their conference room. Dont worry about getting in trouble, I'll pay all legal fees :joker:

Do know how many hotels are in New York City?Home Depot just opened two stores in the city within the past year

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
crossxcheck said:
I've proably missed this discussion, but why not take the "luxury tax" system the players developed and just make the penalties more harsh. In a way both sides could save face that way. :dunno:

That would make too much sense.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
shakes said:
That would make too much sense.

the problem is that they've both got their "offers" and they both want to use their "offer" for the foundation of a new CBA. But neither is willing to use the other's as a foundation. it's nothing more than a glorified pissing match.

although this is pure speculation, maybe the nhl has been pushing for a hard cap so much so when they do offer the soft cap with harsh penalties, the PA will jump all over it. :dunno:

Last edited:

two out of three*

Fan 590: KissFM.

Sports Radio talking about actor/actresses rumours.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
WhitePony said:
Thanks, but it doesn't. It only works when someone posts a link that opens up directly in my media player, and not in a browser media player.
works for me!!

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
crossxcheck said:
the problem is that they've both got their "offers" and they both want to use their "offer" for the foundation of a new CBA. But neither is willing to use the other's as a foundation. it's nothing more than a glorified pissing match.

although this is pure speculation, maybe the nhl has been pushing for a hard cap so much so when they do offer the soft cap with harsh penalties, the PA will jump all over it. :dunno:

I've been thinking about that too. I've also been thinking, "What if the owners have really wanted a luxury tax all along?" I think at this point, an LT would look like filet mignon to the Players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
kmad said:
fan590
Steve Thomas thinks today's talks are a waste of time

But yet they still agree to meet, and this time, they bring along Goodenow, yeah, what a big waste of time...

I'll tell you what the big waste of time is, listening to both players, owners, media..that's the biggest waste of time of all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->