GDT: 11/17 -RE/MAX: Russia vs. Canada(OHL) series

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
I feel bad for the Russian players. They are severely outclassed yet they could potentially have a great team. Hopefully they don't get too down on themselves.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Well are there ANY good players on the OHL team? The Russians just sent a pile of junk to Canada to let the Canadians analyze it all they want. The Canadians won't get any clues from this tournament.

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
6-1 or whatever it is now, should still be a shutout for Canada but someone *Druce* obviously didn't take any groundball practice when he was a kid :)

The Russian goalie looks awful, I know this isn't the A squad and this series is a measurement of nothing, but man... this guy looks like he's been playing Bantam hockey all year, by far the biggest standout (not of the good variety) on their team.

Can't wait until the Q gets this team on Thursday.

Avery4Byng*

What a boring game. this is not even worth watchging...... unless some russian goof decides to drop the gloves.... wishful thinking.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Well are there ANY good players on the OHL team? The Russians just sent a pile of junk to Canada to let the Canadians analyze it all they want. The Canadians won't get any clues from this tournament.
Yeah, the OHL are stacked at forward......there defence is their weakness, but this Russian team sure doesn't have the talent to expose it.

I doubt many of these OHL Defencemen even have a shot at making the WJC, but upfront Richards, Carter, Stewart, Eager and Perry each have a good chance at making the WJC.

Edit: Paille is a lock

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Shappa said:
6-1 or whatever it is now, should still be a shutout for Canada but someone *Druce* obviously didn't take any groundball practice when he was a kid :)

The Russian goalie looks awful, I know this isn't the A squad and this series is a measurement of nothing, but man... this guy looks like he's been playing Bantam hockey all year, by far the biggest standout (not of the good variety) on their team.

Can't wait until the Q gets this team on Thursday.

:cry: :mad: :(

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This blows. Why even send a team over if your gonna send one of this quality. Their 2 best forwards are "B" level - Evseev and Makarov. The rest just suck.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
If the Russians sent their real team, the Canadians would get a little 'sneak preview' of what they're up against next month. So, they send this pile of junk to Canada and them the Canadians analyze all they want to. What would the Russians have to gain by sending over their real team? They already beat the Canadians at the last World Juniors, so why risk their real team against a tournament that is not that important?

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Foppa_Rules said:
If the Russians sent their real team, the Canadians would get a little 'sneak preview' of what they're up against next month. So, they send this pile of junk to Canada and them the Canadians analyze all they want to. What would the Russians have to gain by sending over their real team? They already beat the Canadians at the last World Juniors, so why risk their real team against a tournament that is not that important?

Can you say over analysis? I am sure you would have been saying this had the Russians won.

Hitman*

I know that this is a 'B team with only a few guys with a realistic shot to make the WJC team (like Evseev).

But aren't these the 2 goalies that will lead the way for them? If so, I can't see the Russians getting a medal.

Anthony Stewart is looking real good, same with Corey Perry and especially Ben Eager. Making the Russian defense look pretty silly although they are holding their own. Only bright sopt on the team really. Their forwards are useless.

Canada is skating circles around them. Its embarassing. Can't get anything going, not even with a 2-man advantage.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Hitman said:
I know that this is a 'B team with only a few guys with a realistic shot to make the WJC team (like Evseev).

But aren't these the 2 goalies that will lead the way for them? If so, I can't see the Russians getting a medal.

Anthony Stewart is looking real good, same with Corey Perry and especially Ben Eager. Making the Russian defense look pretty silly although they are holding their own. Only bright sopt on the team really. Their forwards are useless.

Canada is skating circles around them. Its embarassing. Can't get anything going, not even with a 2-man advantage.

This isn't even the B team. Maybe 5 or so of these stiffs could make that team.

Hitman*

Foppa_Rules said:

Canada is analyzing its own players, not the Russians. Its a chance to get all its best players together again (somewhat) in game situations (which is hard to do at the ealuation camps) and see which ones can really play. Canada's doing this as a evaluation tool and its very beneficial.

And Canada has a secret weapon now for Russia. A player who has scored in every international game that he has played against them. Can you guess who? He's 6'2'' 220 lbs and is pretty damn fast.

leafaholix*

A few guys that impressed me from the Russian side...

Anton Belov (D) - Good size, good skater, crisp passes (not many though).
Vladislav Evseev (C) - Top Russian forward.
Evgeny Moshkarev (D) - Size, good skater for such a massive guy.
Ruslan Abdrakhmanov (RW) - Very Pavel Datsyuk like.
Alexander Nikulin (C) - Looked very strong physically, good skater.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Anyone think Jarrett will get an invite to world Jrs.?
he's only in this tourney because of Brad Richardsons injury, but only a couple years ago was going to be captain, and then the injuries and heart surgery came.
Looks like he's finally finding his stride again

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
'There are many layers of intrigue at the start of this series, but the chief mystery is how much Russians are going to show their hand before the world junior hockey championship that starts next month in Helsinki and what kind of a statement they are making with the lineup they have brought?'

'Regardless of which players they have brought, Hulton, the Kingston Frontenacs' head coach who will be an assistant coach of the Canadian junior team, thinks he can take some clues from this series to Helsinki.'

"I think selfishly from a coaching standpoint that it's good their under-20 coach for Russia is coming because you get to see what tendencies he has," said Hulton. "Does he simply roll his units of five? Does he have a particular defence he likes to spot up against your top line? That again helps us when we get into our preparation for the actual tournament."

See what I mean?? If the Russians had showed their hand and brought their real team, you bet the Canadians would be analyzing every detail of how they played, everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->