Gary give me a call!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to explain this with out using the word Salary CAP. What if the NHL was set up in such a way that there were ceilings and basements. Meaning that the highest team is allowed to be $X amount larger than the lowest salary team. For example....The Rangers are only allowed to be $30 million more than the lowest team...Columbus at $25 million. Therefor the Rangers would be allowed to have a salary of $55 million MAX! (I just through those numbers out there and I know that they are not accurate but I think it shows my point.) As the league grows or shrinks financially...so does every team. If the lowest team grows financially, the salary Cap...(opps) rises than so can the highest teams cap. Vise versa!
You can always count on teams rebuilding...and having low salaries. You can always count on teams going for it...or peaking. Using my method I beleive that there could always be a balance. Salaries won't jump too high because teams will be pressured to watch the top line (ceiling) as well as watching the bottom line (basement).
It is just a start of an idea that could work...its kind of like a flexable cap that moves with the financial trends of the all NHL teams.

Who knows...a $30 million could be too high!
What do you think?
Would it work?
What would you change here?
Would a $30 million buffer between highest and lowest be enough or too much to balance out the NHL?

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
hey, interesting idea. a sliding window for a salary cap is an interesting way of doing it. in order to enforce this cap, hwoever, there should be some sort of luxury tax punishment for going over. this will be a bit tough to do ur roster every year as one year u may be way under the cap then the next year way over if someone does a complete rebuild. also, this does little for the "cost certainty" that they are looking for. what if the whole league goes up together? then all players will have high prices and we're back at anohter lockout. it's not just the higher teams whose payrolls rose, it's also the lower teams as well.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
How about calculating an average and then ensuring each team is within 10 mill of the average (above or below). Just set in a rule that prohibits teams from signing anyone if they are outside the window.

That way the window isnt being held down by some anchor team in the league that just chooses to have a 10 mill salary.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Mike Kosikar said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to explain this with out using the word Salary CAP. What if the NHL was set up in such a way that there were ceilings and basements. Meaning that the highest team is allowed to be $X amount larger than the lowest salary team. For example....The Rangers are only allowed to be $30 million more than the lowest team...Columbus at $25 million. Therefor the Rangers would be allowed to have a salary of $55 million MAX! (I just through those numbers out there and I know that they are not accurate but I think it shows my point.) As the league grows or shrinks financially...so does every team. If the lowest team grows financially, the salary Cap...(opps) rises than so can the highest teams cap. Vise versa!
You can always count on teams rebuilding...and having low salaries. You can always count on teams going for it...or peaking. Using my method I beleive that there could always be a balance. Salaries won't jump too high because teams will be pressured to watch the top line (ceiling) as well as watching the bottom line (basement).
It is just a start of an idea that could work...its kind of like a flexable cap that moves with the financial trends of the all NHL teams.

Who knows...a $30 million could be too high!
What do you think?
Would it work?
What would you change here?
Would a $30 million buffer between highest and lowest be enough or too much to balance out the NHL?

If payrolls fluctuate simultaneously and directly, how will the gap ever be decreased between the big market and small market clubs?

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
Sorry, this should have been in the business section! I guess I got in a bad habit of coming here!

"If payrolls fluctuate simultaneously and directly, how will the gap ever be decreased between the big market and small market clubs?"

I believe that there will always be a gap. Some teams are in re-building stages and their salaries will be low! I guess you found a flaw...there really is no chance of decreasing the overall salaries because the lowest team will never be able to stoop lower than the lowest I guess. Maybe....just maybe we could count on the NHL growing. Maybe a luxury tax needs to be applied to higher teams that break the ceiling. Maybe if the tax is high enough they might be responsible enough to stay under.

Maybe the Team salarys could be set by an average league salary +/-15 million. Remember....its just a number off the top of my head.

...this is all New York Rangers fault! Can't they just rebuild like every other team in the sports. I am glad they suck every year...serves them right!

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
The cap is set by the lowest salary team!

Lowest salary+30 million=Max salary allowed

(again...30 million just a number off the top of my head)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad