Gary Bettman should be fired the current labor crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Gary Bettman should be fired after the current labor crisis?

do you think Gary Bettman should be fired?

Gary Bettman should be fired after the current labor crisis?

yes or no

it is funny how no one reads the thread till after they voted

HckyFght said:
The Poll should read, "Should Bettman be fired after the current labor crisis?"
Yes.
HckyFght!

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well as Brian Burke said to Ted Saskin, Im sure when the owners want our opinion on when to fire their bad cop, they will ask.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
When he became Commissioner he tried to mold the NHL into David Stern. In other words he tried to market it like it was the NBA and the problem is it's not the NBA and it's better, but that doesn't mean putting teams where they have no business being and letting them disappear from cities where they should have never left and is a big part of why we are where we are.

So that's why I voted yes.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Back in the early 90's, one issue of Sports Illustrated had on the cover "The NHL is hot, the NBA is not" or something along those lines, that will never happen again so long as Bettman is at the helm, he destroyed the league.

The NHL has steadily been going downhill over the past decade and Bettman hasn't done a damn thing to improve it aside from adding teams in places like Nashville. Bettman has failed miserably and the NHL needs a changing of the guard.

This league needs far more than just a salary cap to bring the fans back.

FIRE HIM!

outKast*

Gary is fighting the good fight for all us fans. He should stand strong with our support. With his CBA blue print, we'll have lower ticket prices, team equality, a better product on ice, and end talks of teams being moved to other cities. Edmonton is counting on Gary Betman to fix this system

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I have never, and will never like Gary Bettman, and I would like to see a new Commissioner, that being said...

We'd still be in this same mess even if the Commissioner was somebody else.

My vote is entirely unrelated to the CBA.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
outKast said:
Gary is fighting the good fight for all us fans. He should stand strong with our support. With his CBA blue print, we'll have lower ticket prices, team equality, a better product on ice, and end talks of teams being moved to other cities. Edmonton is counting on Gary Betman to fix this system

After which he will cure cancer, put an end to world hunger, stop global warming, find a cure for AIDs and save the whales.......... :joker:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
outKast said:

Wow some people have really swallowed the kool-aid. The NHL's entire position is that player salaries take up too high a percentage of revenues, and that percentage should remain roughly constant. No one has ever talked about decreasing the total amount of revenue.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
In these negotiations, I think he's doing a masterful job for the owners, so in that sense, I don't think he should be fired, although when it comes to examining the state of the game, and the product on the ice, I think he should definitely be canned.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
puck you said:
In these negotiations, I think he's doing a masterful job for the owners, so in that sense, I don't think he should be fired, although when it comes to examining the state of the game, and the product on the ice, I think he should definitely be canned.

that is what I am thinking.

the league is dead

fire him

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
I voted other b/c I don't like the question.

I think he should be fired, but not because of what he has done in the lockout, which is why many people will likely vote. I think he has done a good job in this, like it or not, its necessary.

Its what he's done up until now that I don't like.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Fire Bettman but only after new (better) CBA is signed. Then bring in a real hockey guy.

I.am.ca

Lionel Hutz said:
I voted other b/c I don't like the question.

I think he should be fired, but not because of what he has done in the lockout, which is why many people will likely vote. I think he has done a good job in this, like it or not, its necessary.

Its what he's done up until now that I don't like.

His fate lies in this CBA...depending on what he gets will seal his fate.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I think Bettman has failed the NHL. The NHL could be doing much better financially. Its not entirely his fault, but I think the NHL could use a more dynamic, forward thinking commish. Someone who has charisma, leadership. When Bettman does lead, its usually on business topics, otherwise he doesn't have a clue.

I guess I expect too much from Bettman. But anyone who loves hockey should expect nothing but the very best. I don't think Bettman is best the NHL can do.

JWhelan

Feb 26, 2004
Newfoundland
Not only do I think Bettman needs the boot, but the same goes for all members NHL Exec and NHLPA Exec.

My Reason is because they are not negotiating.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I voted yes but only a small part of it is the cba. The on ice product has suffered since he's been in office and his plan to get more exposure failed. If the season is cancelled these things are compounded.

At that point it's time to say adios!

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
I cannot believe that the majority of people are voting to keep this clown around, it just shows how deluded some people are. I don't care if you're supremely pro-owner and want the players to make 10$ an hour but you cannot tell me this guy has not failed the nhl. He has overexpanded the league, didn't reinvest the one-time cash boom of new teams and new arenas, negotiated a tv deal is a complete joke and basically killed the NHL as a major 4 sport. In 1994 we were poised to take over the USA, now we have lower ratings than bowling and poker and that's before the lockout. If there is no season, hell even if there is a season at this point, people are going to see just how insignificant hockey will have become to the American public. 2 billion industry? Please we'll be lucky to be at a 1.5, 1 billion industry if this lockout is resolved soon. The CBA has nothing to do with this. I am still actually relatively pro-owner in terms of what needs to be done in a fiancial aspect.

Lanny MacDonald*

Gurj said:
I think you mean this:

At the time the NHL was hot and the NBA was not. The Rangers had just won the Stanley Cup. Its always great news when New York wins something, especially when you are trying to sell a TV contract. The NHL had just come off a work stoppage and labor peace seemed to be in the cards. Expansion was under way and looking good. There were stars in the game that were still playing the game and not focused on money. Yhe NHL was hot. The NBA, OTOH, had just lost its best player (Michael Jordon) to retirement. There were no stars in line to take Jordon's crown. The NBA was heading into uncharted waters as it considered expansion (unsuccessful expansion as it would have it). The NBA was indeed cold. A decade later the tables have turned. The NBA has a salary cap and has stars that carry the game. There is money flowing in and making the sport profitable for the owners and players alike. The NBA has stars that dominate and are sellable. There is peace. The NHL has labor strife and a system where the players make the majority of the money. If it were not for the expansion fees from the past decade the owners would have been bust a long time ago. The system works one way, for the players, and that is not healthy for the game. For the NHL to become hot again the N HL needs labor peace and needs its stars to play like stars. We have not seen that in five or six years. The NHL needs a player to step forward and become the star that the game can be sold on. Sidney Crosby could be that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->