Garth Snow's Best Move......

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The pair of moves he made on October 4th, 2014 to acquire the team's top pairing.
Leddy trade in particular was a great job by Snow and his scouts.
Another situation where they
identified a player on anoher team who was not playing s major role, but who the isles felt could handle more responsibility.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
identified a player on anoher team who was not playing s major role, but who the isles felt could handle more responsibility.
and took advantage of a cash strapped team who couldnt afford to re-sign him. everybody and their cousin knew that chicago couldnt afford to re-sign leddy just like boston couldnt afford to re-sign boychuck.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
and took advantage of a cash strapped team who couldnt afford to re-sign him. everybody and their cousin knew that chicago couldnt afford to re-sign leddy just like boston couldnt afford to re-sign boychuck.

I have props to Garth on this one. All other GM's knew Chi town was in CAP hell but Garth was the one who made it happen and acquired a legit NHL d man with upside.....

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Snow's best moves was to take Tim Thomas from Boston to make friends with Chiarelli and to hire George McPhee to make friends with him. Chia has given us Boychuk, Eberle, Barzal and Beauvillier and McPhee let us off easy in the expansion draft.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
For those of you wanting Lehner read buffalo's team board thread.If that doesn't make you think twice, nothing will. He's no better than what we have.

And understand we aren't the same team playing Capuanos defense first system. buffalo is last in scoring and they play very close to the vest. That makes Lehner look better than he is....from afar. Most sabre s fans can't stand him and openly admit on their board that they hope to fleece some team into taking him

Reactions: majormet

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
For those of you wanting Lehner read buffalo's team board thread.If that doesn't make you think twice, nothing will. He's no better than what we have.

And understand we aren't the same team playing Capuanos defense first system. buffalo is last in scoring and they play very close to the vest. That makes Lehner look better than he is....from afar. Most sabre s fans can't stand him and openly admit on their board that they hope to fleece some team into taking him

You're right, that is Snow's best move...

Reactions: Bronson

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland

I could easily go back two years and substitute Bailey for Lehner and say go read the Islanders team board...

I still 100% want Lehner

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Leddy still had that year at 2.7M. The fact that either nobody else made a better offer or that Snow was the only person in a position to take Leddy on was a huge victory.

Snow had one other move that essentially bought NYI a playoff entry and that was the Visnovsky deal. There's zero chance NYI make the playoffs in 12/13 without him. Too bad our goaltending sucked, which Snow didn't fix for 2 years.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I could easily go back two years and substitute Bailey for Lehner and say go read the Islanders team board...

I still 100% want Lehner

hes still a head case. we have a hard enough time accepting Halaks and Greiss inconsistencies, what will we do with the king of inconsistancy in lehner.

that and the fact that he's literally by far the worst starting goalie in the nhl in the shootout. giving away 5-10 points a season doesnt sit well

but youre entitled to make your own decision

9Thomas GreissNYI15600.750
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

73Robin LehnerOTT32680.529
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
hes still a head case. we have a hard enough time accepting Halaks and Greiss inconsistencies, what will we do with the king of inconsistancy in lehner.

that and the fact that he's literally by far the worst starting goalie in the nhl in the shootout. giving away 5-10 points a season doesnt sit well

but youre entitled to make your own decision

9Thomas GreissNYI15600.750
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

73Robin LehnerOTT32680.529
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lehner is not for us, he is on par with our guys.... Also not so sure about guys like Dell or Hutton because they play on defensive oriented teams....

We have to ride with what we have or hope Gibson has an opening and does better

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lehner is not for us, he is on par with our guys.... Also not so sure about guys like Dell or Hutton because they play on defensive oriented teams....

We have to ride with what we have or hope Gibson has an opening and does better
Ive been saying he's no better than what we have, and i stand by that. Im resigned to waiting on Soderstom and Sorokin. unless you have one of the top 5-7 goalies are pretty interchangeable

theres nothing wrong With Halak or Greiss, that isnt explained by our more offense oriented system doesnt explain.

im pretty realistic about our team in general. I just dont relish throwing away 1 point every time we're in a shootout, to me thats the difference between the playoffs or staying home

Last edited:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Soderstom had 1 good season, I am not even remotely sold on him becoming a NHL starter(thinking Nilsson).
Like I wrote in an earlier post(and I could be wrong just ask my wife!LOL) Lehner is 26 and hopefully going to get much better. I see a Bobrovski situation where he was inconsistent in Philly and the fans were always writing how he was no good. Well that did not turn out so good for Philly(not that they traded him because of the fans but because he was inconsistent play). He was about 25 when he played for Columbus and got traded for a 2nd and (2) 4th round picks.
Griess and Halak are what they are...

Reactions: Svengoolie

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
i agree man!

Addition by subtraction can be the biggest move sometimes, goes back to when Mets finally released George Foster in 1986... they went on a tear

A guy like Strome was too slow and methodical for Doug Weight style of offense and hindered the team, same now goes for Nelson

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Surviving 10 years of being one of the worst GMs in pro sports

Laugh.

What he began with..
New York Islanders 2006-07 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

The prospect pool...
Islanders top 20 prospects - Hockey's Future

Kyle Okposo was drafted in 2006, Milbury didn't leave us with him.

2017/2018 roster...
New York Islanders 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

The prospect pool....
Linus Soderstrom

Josh Ho-Sang

Ilya Sorokin

Sebastian Aho

Kieffer Bellows

Michael Dal Colle

Devon Toews

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

Good post. Some of them will never get it. The 3 goalie rotation was a laugher as well. Snow was right all along and I don't blame him for not completely trusting our goalie situation. Both Greiss and Halak's save percentage and GAA are well below last years numbers and LOOK there's no third goalie on the bench to blame Snow for. Last year's losses had nothing to do with Berube it all had to do with Halak's poor play to start the season. Kudos for all the posters here for at least acknowledging some of Snow's good moves. That said let's move on and at least recognize that Snow has done a pretty good job with this franchise but there is still work to do.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Good post. Some of them will never get it. The 3 goalie rotation was a laugher as well. Snow was right all along and I don't blame him for not completely trusting our goalie situation. Both Greiss and Halak's save percentage and GAA are well below last years numbers and LOOK there's no third goalie on the bench to blame Snow for. Last year's losses had nothing to do with Berube it all had to do with Halak's poor play to start the season. Kudos for all the posters here for at least acknowledging some of Snow's good moves.

The good outweighs the bad... he seems to know when to get rid of people, almost every player he either traded or let go of, has never matched their Isles success, Comeau, AMAC, KO, Frans, Martin, Strome, Hamonic, Streit, Grabner (up until this year, he has blown outside of Isle land), Moulson, Jackman etc...

The Barzal coup trade... great
Getting Eberle - great
Leddy/Boychuk - deals great

Getting Lee in the 6th round great

His bad moves are some drafting choices, the 3 goalie circus, falling in love with some of his dumpster dives (Strait, Hickey...), and some long term deals to replaceable players, mainly Clutterbuck and Greiss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad