Garth Snow's Best Move......

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I would say his most brilliant trade was getting rid
of Mike Mottau and Brian Rolston in the same trade to Boston.
The return , not important .

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He did a good job at covering up a goof...but turning a 4th overall pick into a later 1st and a middle 6 forward isn't a great move by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't like to analyze things in that way too much, because it can get pretty crazy real quickly. Drafting Tavares was a great move, but a bunch of missteps had to take place in order for that to happen. Was getting Eberle for Strome just another cover up? At what point do we separate the two things?

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
I can't argue with the Leddy and Barzal trades. I'll say letting 40-goal scorer Jason Blake walk in 2007 deserves an honorable mentioning. Yeah, with or without Blake we stunk after 07. But, Garth must have concluded Blake's game was speed, and at a 34, that wasn't going to last much longer. And so, that story ended with Toronto weeping over an albatross contract for five years.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Garth Snow's best move is understanding that after years of being Milburied, the team needed a full rebuild, no matter how long it took, never straying from it's course, regardless of what the media or fans thought...

Reactions: MattBarzal and dood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Snow's best strength is NOT caving. He's really good at that.

So much control over emotions...especially long time, almost family level players ..he let walk..because he knew exactly what they were worth ad they didn't. Most people don't understand (intimately), the business side of things..he does and does it well and good enough to bail his own ass out if he goofs....no one's perfect.

Not signing Moulson, Okposo etc etc

I don't know what he will do with Bailey though..I KNOW he won't overpay..I also know that he will let him walk if he has to and I'm fine with that (if bailey gets arrogant about how much he is worth).

Edit: He also seems to be winning the Hamonic deal...but that's a wait and see

Last edited:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
The thought of him trading Barzal for Duchene, or anyone for that matter, and then watching Barzal become what he's become on another team would have been heartbreaking. You could wait a decade or more for one of your draft picks to turn into what he's turning into.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Picking Michael Grabner off the waiver wire and then going on to see him score 34 goals cannot be forgotten. Unfortunately a groin injury slowed him and Snow dealt Grabner away(I still think Verhaeghe is going to be a NHLer but he is sadly been traded also).
Also picking up Ray Knight for futures is underrated as he was the glue to those championship Mets teams.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't like to analyze things in that way too much, because it can get pretty crazy real quickly. Drafting Tavares was a great move, but a bunch of missteps had to take place in order for that to happen. Was getting Eberle for Strome just another cover up? At what point do we separate the two things?

While I understand your point, I think it depends on the assets you're given. I don't think anybody would say that a 4th overall pick is worth a later 1st and a middle forward (whose ceiling looks like a 2nd liner at best). If we don't pay attention to asset management (which imo is Snow's biggest challenge as a GM), we start to just see the trees rather than the forest.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Picking up a goalie this year would instantly become his best move

I think Lehner would be a upgrade over the current two and could be a long term solution. I really think his best games/years are still in front of him. I would also look to see if Vancouver is ready for a fire sale and if Markstrom is available.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I think Lehner would be a upgrade over the current two and could be a long term solution. I really think his best games/years are still in front of him. I would also look to see if Vancouver is ready for a fire sale and if Markstrom is available.
Lehner is a name that I have not seen thrown around on here and I would support that. He has been putting up consistent numbers on a bad Buffalo team that cannot score goals or play adequate defense for 3 years now... I'd ask Buffalo the cost

Greiss & Halak are not getting it done right now, plain and simple. If they do not think a goalie already in the system - Gibber, Gudlevskis, McAdam, the next avenue that should be explored has to be trade. Soderstrom arrives next year I think as a backup on our club. Sorokin is out of the question because he has another contract with some term in KHL. Our team has been scoring a lot of goals this year and the defense is not playing as bad as it seems. We just need average at best goal tending, and Greiss & Halak have been doing everything but that when they get bombed every other game.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Garth Snow should be credited with not dealing for this overrated cancerous player

Matt Duchene

Ottawa was one win away from the Cup and in playoff position when they dealt for this player, and now they are sunk and that -34 I was talking about last year is projecting at -50 this year and 4 points in 17 games, is very Ross Johnston like....

Garth would have had to deal Barzal to get this piece of garbage, we would have been set back years... I know I got ripped, eviscerated, and bashed for killing this guy, but I am glad I am right for a change LOL

what did matt duchene do to you?

lehner is not much better than halak or greiss

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Unfortunately, none of these deals were deals that he had to move a player on the roster
to improve an area of his roster. I think Garth is useless in that area and would love to know if he has actually made a deal like that

1) The Leddy trade - Chicago needed to shed salary
2) The Barzal trade - Edmonton was the only team that thought Reinhart was any good and didnt need draft picks anymore so this was a no brainer

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Perhaps his best moves are ahead in the future depending on what he will do with Calgary picks, de Haan, and Bailey (Tavares deal, I don’t think he has much of a say in it). After 10+ years, he has finally assembled a team that PROBABLY MAYBE is better than just yet another 7-8 seed, so let’s see what he will make out of it.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Unfortunately, none of these deals were deals that he had to move a player on the roster
to improve an area of his roster. I think Garth is useless in that area and would love to know if he has actually made a deal like that

1) The Leddy trade - Chicago needed to shed salary
2) The Barzal trade - Edmonton was the only team that thought Reinhart was any good and didnt need draft picks anymore so this was a no brainer

Part of being a GM is taking advantage of other teams.

IMO getting Leddy was easily the best move of Snows career thus far.

Trading for a young top pairing defenseman for minimal assets is a rarity. In fact if there has been a better trade made in the league since.

Reactions: dood

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Inspired by the main board thread: can you name ONE Snow move bad enough to set this team years back?

Edit: the only one I can remember so far is Nino trade, but it’s not that Nino is a superstar and it’s not that Clutter is a POS.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Inspired by the main board thread: can you name ONE Snow move bad enough to set this team years back?

Edit: the only one I can remember so far is Nino trade, but it’s not that Nino is a superstar and it’s not that Clutter is a POS.

Good question .
Hmmmm
I'll take Jill Nicolini for a hundred Alex.

And a side dish of Lisa Mateo......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad